Thread: Hi from Biffo in Norfolk

Smile Hi from Biffo in Norfolk

Hi All,

After hiring an open top canoe with my 2 young children I went on to a few adventures with a blow up dingy on the local water! Decided its time to do its properly and am in the process of joining a local canoeing club that offers training in open top canoes.
    So - what canoe do I buy? Was going to get a Pelican but then saw the Apache which seems great value for the lakes and slow rivers around Norfolk. Does anyone think Apaches are not suitable? Will be doing solo, weekends with kids and then some 2 up paddling with a friend, 16ft?

Appreciate any feedback.

Biffo

Thumbs up Welcome

Hi Biffo, first a warm welcome to the forum, and secondly welcome to the open canoe, As far as advice on which canoe to purchase you have already stated that you are joining a canoe club where you will be able to shall we say try before you buy.
    As a rough guide if you intend to undertake trips out, possible camping then you require a 16' canoe, as to make, well there are so many and of course you have to find one that suits your finances.
    Another way is to keep an eye out for meets in or around your area and join them where I'M sure you will be allowed to try different canoes.
    others will be along shortly to give you some guidance, in the meantime welcome again and hopefully soon Happy PaddlingRegards Bill

Welcome to Song of the Paddle

I suspect either the Coleman or the Apache would suit your needs. Both have their limitations but are superb value for the money. As Bill says trying out a selection of canoe before you buy can be a good idea but rest assured that almost any canoe will put a great big smile on your face.
    John

Hi Biffo.

Am based in Norfolk close to Norwich, which club are you joining?

Regards.

Alan L.

Welcome to the SOTP World

Check out the Canoe Reviews section for great info on many possible types
    http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...splay.php?f=28

From what I've seen, the Apache would probably be a great choice. I've paddled Pelican/Coleman & they're indestructable & easy to paddle, but they're a bit of a tub & heavy. The Apache looks nicer, & would be significantly lighter & faster, I think.

For a little more Venture canoes have a good reputation as value for money.

Hi Biffo
    Welcome to another Norfolk paddler.

Regards
    Tony

Hi and welcome.as an apache owner Im more than happy with it.have used it solo.2 up and with kids.havnt done more than a day trip though.also a good price for a good canoe,some canoes ive seen have been nearly twice the price but not as good quality,hand made in the uk as well !
    If a hammer wont fix it it must be an electrical problem

Hi Biffo and welcome from another newbie, both to this forum, and canoeing.

You will not regret joining either, you will just wish you had done it sooner.

I know I had !

Andy

Default Welcome

Good to have you along for the trip.

The Pelican is heavy but the Apache has little freeboard for loading people & gear.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

Default Thanks

Thanks everyone for your replies, to answer a couple of questions:

I am looking at joining the Eagle canoe club in Norwich as they offer open top canoe training.

I'm close to Wymondham, about 10 miles south of norwich.

Seems to me an Apache is the best buy for a newbie like me!

Thanks Again

Biffo

See you at Eagle then Biffo!

Wednesday nights, signing up for the forthcoming year will be being done shortly on 1st April at Eagle club house.

Regards.

Alan L.

Hi Biifo

Plenty of open stretches of water around you then to paddle.

On what you are saying, you would need a boat with a decent freeboard especially on open water if the waves pick up, go and have a chat with Tony @ Sue's Canoe and see what he can show you.

Cheers Graeme
    SWWC the way forward

Coaching for skills and performance

Hi Biffo,

Welcome here to SOTP - always good to see fellow Norfolk paddlers appearing (& no doubt we'll meet at some point as I coach at Eagle sometimes too) .

As for boat choice, I can't say this enough - DON'T RUSH INTO IT! Eagle Canoe Club have lots of different boats to try & after just a few visits there you'll have a FAR better idea of what pro's / con's the different boats have and what will suit you best. Speak to the coaches down there and they'll be able to advise you too. Once you've got a better picture I'd second that advice from Graeme - speak to Tony at Sue's Canoes (Watton) - he'll sort you out.

Hope to see you on the water in the near future.

Kind regards,
    Jaz

Been 3 times now and very happy to have joined, nice people, good fun and my ability to paddle in a straight line is vastly improved!

Red face Getting close !

OK - getting more confident now which seems to have had an effect on how much I am willing to spend - had a chat at Sues Canoes and an Old Town 158 is currently at the top of the list. I would be willing to pay a bit more but get overwhelmed by the options - where as the 158 seems a tough all rounder (if a bit heavy). Realistically I'm going to be on calm waters on my own most of the time with the option of taking others now and then, any advice/opinions are appreciated (before my head explodes!). Will be going to Sues Canoes testing day at the end of the month where I WILL MAKE A DECISION !!!!!!