Thread: Hi All, yet another newbie.

Default Hi All, yet another newbie.

Well a bit about me, I am 53 and work offshore and have two boys aged 12 and (almost!) 10 who are going to really enjoy any trips we manage to get in. Now my wife.....well time will tell, sooner rather than later as I am just about to head up to brookbank's at perth and pick up my long awaited venture hunter 17'.
    Regards.
    mick.
    Last edited by mick; 31st-August-2006 at 05:51 PM.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mick View Post
    Well a bit about me, I am 53 and work offshore and have two boys aged 12 and (almost!) 10 who are going to really enjoy any trips we manage get in. Now my wife.....well time will tell, sooner rather than later as I am just about to head up to brookbank's at perth and pick up my long awaited venture hunter 17'.
    Regards.
    mick.
    Welcome. If your wife is anything like mine you will find you are paddling with the children a lot

If this is your first canoe you are going to discover a whole new world.

Welcome Mick from a fellow O.F.

Ian

Welcome to the site Mick and welcome to the life and the obsession that is canoeing
    Leone_blanco

Welcome mick....How lucky you are to have scotland as your back yard to canoe in...dead jealous. I dare say that once you start canoeing, you wont get enough,thats what happened to me.....happy ventures....maynman.

Default Thanks folks,

Well I managed to get back up to perth (having driven down from aberdeen last night!) and collect my canoe I will hopefully get organised and get out on castle semple tomorrow or saturday.
    Cheersranoo.
    mick

Hi Mick, welcome, and greetings from darkest Kent. Hope paddling gives you as much joy as it does me! I,ve been paddling over 30 years now and I love it as much now as I did when I was a boy.

Welcome Mick from a fellow offshore worker. The best thing with our lifestyle, is we donít have to slot our canoeing into the odd weekend when the weather happens to be good enough. The bad side is that the perfect conditions come along, and everyone else is at work or school, so we have no one to go out with. I ended up buying a Pack so I could get out on my own, then I get a rollocking from the missus when I did just that!

Pete.
    Ryb An Avon.....

Smile Hi

HI Pete welcome to SOTP enjoy your new boat,Im having trouble finding a bloke that likes to paddle. Pitty you dont live over here. I too have strange work hours so I paddle mostly alone.

Kate
    Last edited by 2cute; 1st-September-2006 at 10:12 PM. Reason: spelling

Default thanks Pete,

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Thompson View Post
    Welcome Mick from a fellow offshore worker. The best thing with our lifestyle, is we donít have to slot our canoeing into the odd weekend when the weather happens to be good enough. The bad side is that the perfect conditions come along, and everyone else is at work or school, so we have no one to go out with. I ended up buying a Pack so I could get out on my own, then I get a rollocking from the missus when I did just that!

Pete.
    I think what will be worse will be when I am out there and there is not a ripple in the water we had some of that recently just before the fog came in for several days.......
    cheersranoo
    Mick.

Hi,
    My family set up is much like yours. My boys recon that paddling beats walking up mountains. If need be they can leave dad to do all the work and it's flat.
    Aslan

Smile So true....

Quote Originally Posted by aslan View Post
    Hi,
    My family set up is much like yours. My boys recon that paddling beats walking up mountains. If need be they can leave dad to do all the work and it's flat.
    Well myself and the two boys managed to get out today and wet the boat It was a bit breezy at times and as you said dad was left to do all the work at times but we had a ball all the same.

Journal Entries

The trick to getting the wife to paddle is to convince her that the fresh air and exercise makes her look younger and healthier. It worked for me anyhow. Angela used to get her nails done quite often and was fairly high maintenance, but not since she took up paddling. There are a few things she won't leave home without on a trip but we got her personal gear down from 28 lbs to about 7 lbs. She has been out with me for up to 6 days now and I hope to slowly extend that without her noticing.
    Lloyd

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug...

Default Paddling wife,

Quote Originally Posted by WhyAyeMan View Post
    The trick to getting the wife to paddle is to convince her that the fresh air and exercise makes her look younger and healthier. It worked for me anyhow. Angela used to get her nails done quite often and was fairly high maintenance, but not since she took up paddling. There are a few things she won't leave home without on a trip but we got her personal gear down from 28 lbs to about 7 lbs. She has been out with me for up to 6 days now and I hope to slowly extend that without her noticing.
    Hi Lloyd,
    It is more the water than the camping last year we had two nights in argyll then out to Islay and over two Jura Four nights back across to Oban for one nights then up Mallaig for one night the finished of with a week on Skye Unfortunatly all of this was pre-canoe which is a shame as the weather was excellent for it as were most of the places!
    I have every confidance that annette will enjoy herself once we get into it

cheersranoo,
    Mick

Journal Entries

When Angela first started 6 inch waves scared her; now she crashes through 2 foot waves and loves it. I just try to make every experience a good one.
    Lloyd

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug...

Well I will keep that in mind Lloyd I dont think I am ready for two foot waves never mind Annette!
    cheersranoo,
    Mick.