Thread: Bob Dustrude Quick Buck Saw; Review

Default Bob Dustrude Quick Buck Saw; Review

The Bob Dustrude Quick Buck Saw

My Bob Dustrude Quick Buck Saw was bought from Duluth Pack (details can be found HERE).

I have had a veriety of folding saws and one other buck saw. The folding saws were good as far as they went but for larger branches or a lot of cutting they were not ideal. A bow say was what was needed but not the easiest thing to pack.

The quick buck saw is about 30 inches long when "packed". The blade is stored inside the backbone of the saw with the side arms swung shut to enclose it all.

When packed it does not rattle and no part of the blade is exposed to damage or cut anything.

Preparing the saw for action is easy. Simply swing round the side arms. Hook one end of the blade on to one side and lever the other end of the blade in with the wooden handle. This puts the blade under tension and gives a better cut.

The blade is a standard 24 inch bow saw blade so getting hold of a replacement is easy. This is what put me off of my first buck or take down saw. It used modified blades that were not easy to get a hold of. It also took longer to put together.

In use the quick buck saw is a dream to use. It cuts as well as a normal bow saw and can be used by two people if you want to share the cutting work load. I like to have a camp fire when I am staying out and like to be able to use all the dead wood available. With this saw and an axe there is few pieces of timber that cannot be utilised.

For a daw trip I would still use my folding saw but for an overnight camp I would never be without my Bob Dustrude Quick Buck Saw.

John

Now you have gone and done it! Just when I thought I had all my gear someone comes up with a thread like this My only question is what was the service like from Duluth Pack? How long did it take to arrive?

Quote Originally Posted by yarrow
    Now you have gone and done it! Just when I thought I had all my gear someone comes up with a thread like this My only question is what was the service like from Duluth Pack? How long did it take to arrive?
    The service was fine. Only complaint would be that they did not confirm the delivery information but the saw arrived within about 10 days and was well packed and exactly what I was looking for.
    John

Nice review John, looks like its just what i have been looking for, how much did it end up costing you all in with postage etc..
    “Who can long watch the ceaseless lapping of a rivers current, without conceiving a desire to set himself adrift”

Quote Originally Posted by tomtom
    Nice review John, looks like its just what i have been looking for, how much did it end up costing you all in with postage etc..
    Including postage and a couple of spare blades it was just over £31. That was 6 months ago so not sure the effect exchange rates will have had on that.
    John

Default Trail Blazer Takedown Collapsible Buck Saw

If you like camp tools, check this out. It is about the best takedown saw on the market. It is made here in Canada but the Blades are made in Sweden. I got mine for about $25 CAD at the hardware store but they have gone up a bit in price since then. You can tear through 15" to 18" logs with ease and a Life-Time Warranty backs all Trail Blazer collapsible saws with replaceable blades.
    http://www.shopathomecanada.ca/product.php?ID=291

I have one of those and I agree it is a great saw. The things that put me off it were that it does not use standard blades (you need the ones with the plastic tabs on the ends) but this could be overcome with a couple of small bolts. The saw is nothing like as quick to put together as the Quick Buck Saw, it is heavier and lastly it rattles. Not a big problem but the constant rattling annoyed me.

In its favor the take down saw is very comfortable to use and cuts as well as the quick buck saw.
    John

Default Trail Blazer Takedown Collapsible Buck Saw

A bit of Hockey tape stops the rattleing, but my only dislike was the pin in the end that holds it all together for storage. I lost that on about the 3rd trip and replaced it with a better system. As with most things they work best when you customise them.

An hour North of Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I too found the Trail Blazer to be heavy. John, would you please weight the 2 of them, packed, and let us know the difference?

Since I use a grub box (wannigan) I hven't bothered with a folding saw (just lay the 21" bow saw in the top of the box), but for winter trips it'd be nice to have a longer blade and a folding capability.

Thanks,

Dave

Default Do you burn it all?

"I like to have a camp fire when I am staying out and like to be able to use all the dead wood available"

Do you really feel compelled to burn all the available fuel in the area?

Quote Originally Posted by rsanders View Post
    Do you really feel compelled to burn all the available fuel in the area?
    No, not at all. What I meant is I want to be able to have the option to burn whatever dead wood there is availabe so that I can choose to use the wood that will have least impact, rather than just burning the wood that is easy to use.
    John

Quite fancy one of these, anyone got one they want to part with ?.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by dogman2 View Post
    Quite fancy one of these, anyone got one they want to part with ?.

Rob
    Cancel that, i'm so weak i've orderd one..

Rob

A trianual thread.....
    Tony BR
    www.companhiadecanoagem.com.br
    www.canoacanadense.com.br/english.htm
    Past 20 years teaching Biology!
    Next 20 building Canoes!!!

Leicester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post
    Including postage and a couple of spare blades it was just over £31. That was 6 months ago so not sure the effect exchange rates will have had on that.
    Just put in my post code and it was $45 for postage alone. Will look again in the morning when i am less knackered !

Edit, just realised Tamarack Outdoor have them, used the code tamarack and it will be delivered in a couple of days for a much better price :-)
    Last edited by bushcraft paddler; 8th-March-2012 at 10:42 PM.
    Nobody cares what phone you posted from

Quote Originally Posted by bushcraft paddler View Post
    Just put in my post code and it was $45 for postage alone. Will look again in the morning when i am less knackered !

Edit, just realised Tamarack Outdoor have them, used the code tamarack and it will be delivered in a couple of days for a much better price :-)
    Sounds like you did better than me then, i got an email saying they are out of stock.

Rob

I finlay got mine & i'm very impressed with it.

Rob

I've had mine couple of years now, also got it from 'Tamarack'.

In the Duluth canvass bag it really is a nice piece of kit.
    And I use it for pruning the tree's in the garden too

I use mine to cut dead wood small enough to fit in the 'Yukon' firebox, or the stove in the Tentipi.
    Takes up no room either.

Davy

I took some photo's of a tree i cut through using mine. I made a canvas bag to go with mine.

Rob

Hi,

I'm curious to know if this saw would slide inside a split paddle shaft section. Could someone who owns one kindly measure the section (when folded) for me please?

Alternatively can anyone suggest a better tool than the Laplander folding saw to saw through a quite thick log, 8 inch say? Something light that packs small enough to fit in a creek kayak.

Thanks,

Neil

I have one of these, whilst it is a good tool I think it a little over priced for what it is. I don't think it would fit in a canoe shaft. If I was spending my money all over again I would get either a silky bigboy or a katanaboy. I have the katanaboy and it is by far the best saw I have ever owned. It can tackle really big logs without a problem. That said it's not cheap, but as I work with wood all day I felt I could justify the cost, got mine off ebay for 100 notes.

Thanks, not heard of them before but they look the business. The big boy looks very useful and is only 450g. I imagine it would be that bit quicker to setup in a hurry too.

Blade Length: 500mm/19.7" / 2mm Thickness
    Other: Sharpenable Teeth
    Saw Code No: 403-50
    Teeth Per 30mm: 5 Extra Large Teeth
    Weight: 920 Grams

Blade Length: 360mm/14.2"
    Saw Code No: 350-36
    Teeth Per 30mm: 10 Medium Teeth
    Weight: 450 Grams