Thread: Starting open canoeing

Default Starting open canoeing

Dear All!
    Welcome from Eric and Ann Shakeshaft. We are reasonably fit in our sixties and have just decided reluctantly to give up our sailing dinghy ( Wanderer) as we were not using it enough. We are very keen on walking in the English Lake District but feel that the option of cruising on the Lakes in an open canoe would be good. We have both owned kayaks in the past - me ( Eric) did more than Ann. Is it a reasonable option to get an open canoe. How portable are they - OK for two people? What possible snags would there be? Would it be an idea to maybe hire one for the weekend to see if we liked it? Maybe a course? answers welcomed!

Hi, welcome to Song of the Paddle.

I can't really help you with information about the lake district (I am sure others will) a but am sure you will easily be able to cope with an open canoe. As to snags....well it will become an obsession and you will want to spend all your time canoeing. But here we try to look at that as a positive
    John

Hey guys, nothing stopping you taking up a bit of paddling at any age as you only need paddle on flat water at a pace that suits you. (wind allowing?? ) Unless you intend getting a trailer you would need to lift it onto the car though?? You will know best if that would present a problem.
    I would suggest going to Glennridding on Ullswater where they hire out opens(they may only open high season so check with local tourist info before a trip). Have a couple of hours on 'in my opinion' the most picturesque stretch of open water south of the border. Don't pay too much attention to the weight of the canoe you get given as they are likely far heavier than what you would end up with.
    If you need any info re paddling in the Lakes post away. If I can, I'll try and help.

Regards

Mark

I used to think i was in love and then i bought a Supernova

Default Canoe hire in the Lake District

Hi folks,
    Hiring is a good idea to get a feel of what you want. Agree that Glenridding is a great spot to hire from as you can nose in and out of all of the bays on the east shore below Place Fell & this end is more sheltered than the middle section of the lake. Waterside House Campsite south of Pooley Bridge also hire out, I think only during the season. By hiring from both you can cover the whole lake with out any bother.

Low Wood Marina on Windermere do an excellent deal for half or day hire and I have found their equipment first rate. As you will know Windermere is very open and the north end particularly so. Much better now there are fewer power boaters/waterskiers around.

Beleive you can also hire on Derwentwater & Coniston but havn't tried these.

I have a long fellwalking background like yourselves and am certainly seeing the Lakes from a different perspective now & with only a fraction of the crowds.

Aslan

Hiring is deffinately the best way to get a feel for canoeing without the outlay of your own boat. Have a look at canoe dealers for come and try events, Brookbank canoes do them at times, its a good way to try different makes and models to find out which one will suit you. Generally you can't go wrong with a Prospector. This will do almost all you could want. Similarly look out for SOTP members meeting up near to you so you can have a look at their boats and maybe have a paddle. Welcome to the site, any info you need just post away, there is a wealth of knowledge based on here.
    Leone_blanco

Default Rob F

Don't hesitate...all the lakes in the Lake District are superb for open canoeing.
    There's a lovely Camping & Caravan site at Windermere & I'd also recommend Lowe Park Woods Caravan Club site too.
    You'll find you can get closer to wild life than you ever could out walking.
    My favourites are Ullswater & Windamere.
    P.S. The last time I paddled on Windamere I hit a large boulder about 200 yards from shore...I was amazed to have hit such an obstacle so far into the lake as there was no indication of shallow water or hazards...The jet skier (bless him!) who was not far down the lake could have had a real problem.
    BUT the main point is this...as I turned round from trying to see what I'd hit something the size of a GRAND PIANO appeared about 20 yards from my starboard side and disappeared beneath the surface... the 3 foot wave hit me broadside & I nearly capsized.
    THIS IS NOT A HOAX.
    If I had to guess what it was I'd say it was a very large walrus.
    NO I WAS TOTALLY SOBER.
    Cheers Rob F

hi folks and welcome...try before you buy i say.I first canoed in the lake district with my wife on derwent water and was hooked on it straight away.I think you will love it,the peace and tranquility is so good for the body and soul,and this website is full of like minded people,so you wont be alone.....maybe a trip out on the lakes in the future...im up for it...good luck...maynman

Welcome along .
    Its never to late to take up a new hobby, or so I hope .

My In-laws live down in the Lake district and I'd be thrilled if they took up canoeing.
    We had our canoe out around Glenridding last year and there are some nice areas to explore. You can also get a feel for choppy conditions by bouncing on the wakes of the steamers .
    Don't be scared to ask anything, everyone is very helpful and some are very knowledgeable, all the answers are here, or will be .
    'There is no wealth but life itself.'

Quote Originally Posted by rob.fielding View Post
    P.S. The last time I paddled on Windamere I hit a large boulder about 200 yards from shore...I was amazed to have hit such an obstacle so far into the lake as there was no indication of shallow water or hazards...The jet skier (bless him!) who was not far down the lake could have had a real problem.
    BUT the main point is this...as I turned round from trying to see what I'd hit something the size of a GRAND PIANO appeared about 20 yards from my starboard side and disappeared beneath the surface... the 3 foot wave hit me broadside & I nearly capsized.
    THIS IS NOT A HOAX.
    If I had to guess what it was I'd say it was a very large walrus.
    NO I WAS TOTALLY SOBER.
    Cheers Rob F
    You sure this wasn't on Loch Ness? have their been any other reports of a similar incident? Bizarre, would be good to know if anyone has lost a swimming grand piano in the area
    Leone_blanco

Wink Walrus

I instructed on Windermere for 3 years and can relate to hitting underwater obstructions having reversed a safety boat over same and doing a good bit of damage to the prop. Boss was not impressed.

As for Walrus. The lads used to seal launch kayaks of the steamer pier at Bowness out of season. We took Ogi the centre cook along once and he real took to it. Sounds like his ghost has returned to carry on playing. He was built like a Walrus and would be suitably wrinkled by now.
    Aslan

Renting a canoe is a good first step and getting someone who knows a thing or two about canoes to come with you is a good idea too. Some first timers just go around in circles although if you have kayaked before you shouldn't worry.

As for being in you sixties and canoeing, my friend Art still portages his canoe through Algonquin Park and he is in his eighties.
    Lloyd

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug...

Hi Eric and Ann
    coniston is pretty good for rental and its in a good spot if you fancy a bit of walking,the boating centre is situated on the lakeshore near to the cafe so you can stop for a cuppa if your just pottering about in the bay.
    I'm up there quite regular and would be happy to lend you mine for a couple of hours if I'm available.
    best wishes
    J