Thread: End of Season Tamar Cruise

Default End of Season Tamar Cruise

I am thinking of doing a longer than usual trip down the Tamar on Sunday Sept 10th coinciding with one of the biggest tides of the year.

High Tide is at 8.30am, so depending on the conditions at the time, I would launch either at Calstock at dawn or Gunnislake at high tide, and finish at Saltash, or launch at Saltash early afternoon, to finish at Gunnislake or Calstock at dusk. The lower estuary is fairly exposed, so if the weather is bad, the trip is off. The total distance is about 15 miles. Anyone interested in joining me?
    Ryb An Avon.....

Default Tamar Trip 9th/10th Sept

Still on for a trip this weekend if anyone interested, prob will be early Sunday from Gunnislake, though I might run up Sat eve from Saltash as well if I am feeling keen.

Was looking at doing the Lynher estuary launching from Saltash, but access in the upper tidal reaches appears impossible, the quays at St Germans are all Private. I contacted the campsite at Notter Bridge, and asked if we could paddle up and camp overnight since they have direct access to the river and they said no, mumbling about insurance. So frustrating!
    Ryb An Avon.....

Hi,
    A few weeks back we had the same problem from the fella at the campsite (was quite obnoxious). In fact we went to the pub next door to ease the pain :-0 They were more than accomodating, letting us launch from behind the pub and park overnight. I'd recommend dropping in for a quick pint and letting them know your plans if your planning to launch from there. Its a nice place to paddle too.

cheers

Hello again,

I mis-read your last post! If you want to camp up towards that end of the river there are plenty of places to wild camp. If you want some details I could sort out some grid references for you?

There is a possibility I could be camping up that way this weekend if you would like to meet? I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for the info, and yes I would be interested in doing a trip and camping overnight, it looks like it should be a fine weekend, possibly a bit windy. Do you Tent, Bivouac or hammock? Anyway, I am keeping my options open till the last minute.
    Ryb An Avon.....

Default Epilogue

Well in the end we did a run Saturday eve, starting at Weir Quay near Bere Alston late afternoon, and arriving at Gunnislake at dusk. Then after a dash to the house to get warmer clothes and a flask, returned down river to Weir Quay by moonlight. Fantastic run on a beautiful evening. The Spring tide was impressive and we roared up the river as did the numerous pleasure craft. Was impressed to pass a Cornish Lugger running up the river under sail (had no motor), he had never come up the Tamar before having come from Dartmouth so we were well impressed.

Thanks Empacomber on the info on the Lynher, hope you had a good paddle wherever you went. Maybe we shall get down there next year when the conditions are right and we are better organized.
    Ryb An Avon.....

Default Your Canoe

Pete
    Tell us about the canoe with the claw sail and the outrigger...

Doug