Thread: Saturday 2nd Sept

Default Saturday 2nd Sept

Calling all N. Ireland SotP'ers, Peterkm, Vampire Duck and I are going for a paddle on Saturday afternoon. We haven't decided where yet but our options so far include Strangford Lough, Lough Neagh or any river with a decent drop of water in it. So why not join us for a paddle and a get together. Let us know if you can make it and then join us in the chat room on thursday night to finalise the details.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

Hi Big AL,
    I work Saturday mornings so depending on the venue count me in.
    Tonymac

Big Al

Sorry not his saturday. Would an evening suit anyone sometime soon?

Cakie

Quote Originally Posted by TONYMAC View Post
    Hi Big AL,
    Tonymac
    That's my problem this week, I will be in work on saturday morning too. However if we can meet each other half way then it will work. Shaw's Bridge on the Lagan might be an option. Lets wait to see if anyone else replies, and decide then.

Cakie,
    evenings are out at the moment, but keep us posted and we will meet soon.
    Big Al.

~Cree Indian Proverb

Thanks Al, saturday morning are not good at the moment for me. Sundays work well.

Cakie

i would love to come but at the moment i work all saturdays and there is the lack of a boat lol

Quote Originally Posted by nishishinandy View Post
    i would love to come but at the moment i work all saturdays and there is the lack of a boat lol
    I can usually work something out as far as boats are concerned. I think saturdays are going to be awkward for me over the next few weeks due to work comitments. Would Sundays be any better for anybody?
    Big Al.

~Cree Indian Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by TONYMAC View Post
    Hi Big AL,
    Tonymac
    Pete and I will be at Shaw's Bridge in Belfast at 2:30pm on Saturday if anyone cares to join us. We plan to go for a bimble upstream and then play about in the whitewater course below the bridges for a while. Post here if you are coming and we will look out for you.
    Big Al.

~Cree Indian Proverb

Default Shaws bridge

Sorry cant make it this time Im working in london
    Kate.

Would come up but over in Scotland again, and worst looks like decorating not paddling

Next time I'm bringing the boats and getting wet... have fun..
    JD
    He knows not where he's going, For the ocean will decide, It's not the destination, It's the glory of the ride

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bikemec View Post
    Next time I'm bringing the boats and getting wet... have fun..
    I can only hope you've had better weather there than at this end of the country, here you only have to step outside the door to get wet, and not a bit wet either, but properly and completely soaked.

Quote Originally Posted by monkey_pork View Post
    I can only hope you've had better weather there than at this end of the country.

We have had perfect weather.
    It rained a couple of times during the week and then all last night and this morning as well, Yippee!! Then the rain stopped as Pete and I launched our canoes. I was paddling a Ranger 14 and Pete was in his Ranger 16.

We went upstream a few yards to warm up, then paddled in and out of the old bridge, practicing eddying out and breaking out into the flow.

All the rain had lifted the water level to a nice height for practicing on the whitewater course, so down we went. It was great we had a ball. Ferry gliding, eddying out, breaking in and out and even a wee bit of surfing, that was fun, fun, fun. Apart from one awkward moment when I got caught in a stopper and shipped a load of water, well it cooled me down and made me less complacent for the next drop. But I managed to break out of it and make good use of Bikemec's bailer.
    We must have climbed back up the bottom weir 4 or 5 times to practice till we got it right. By the time we were coming off the river the sun was shining bright and we drove home under blue skies.

Thanks for coming Pete, it was great to get out on moving water again.

Now does anyone know any good rain dances?
    Last edited by Big Al.; 2nd-September-2006 at 10:21 PM.
    Big Al.

~Cree Indian Proverb

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al. View Post
    We have had perfect weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al. View Post
    Now does anyone know any good rain dances?
    If you were a bit nearer, I'd have driven the Land Rover up to you and emptied it out - that'd increase your river volumes by a decent amount I'd have thought, given the amount of rain it'll have taken on board today.

Now, where did I put that silicone mastic ?
    Last edited by monkey_pork; 2nd-September-2006 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Just popped outside to see if it's still raining - and it is !

I'd second Big Al's comments. The weather was excellent for paddling!! It was a great opportunity to get some well-needed practice and a great reminder that I need to get fit! The water level was higher than I had paddled there before and flowing with more force. As Al said, fun, fun, fun. Down the full course once and then back up the last (and highest) weir a few times. The time flew by and after a while my body was telling me I needed sugar and liquids. After a quick break, some snacks and a breather we played around in the weirs and back down for the last time. Al played aboutfor a while on the surf - looking impressive, while a random passer-by took photographs. I couldn't help but wish I had brought my own camera. I think I'll bring the camcorder next time!.
    All in all, a great day's paddling!
    Mobile Adventure Prospector 16

Hi Al,
    Sorry I missed your meet couldnt get logged on until to day. Sounds like you had a great time. Spent sat night on Rams got to practice my wave paddling on the way back , I have a better understanding of " trim " now!
    Micheal was telling me of a couple of kayakers stranded for a night after tipping thier boat, local fisherman to the rescue.
    Tonymac