Thread: hello from norn iron

Default hello from norn iron

hi all, have been lurking a while and after reading a few open canoe threads. i have decided to have a go, well it cant be that hard can itcan someone give me an idea of the type i should be looking for. I would be on the large size more grizzly than black and abit of convincing might even get swmbo involved, it would be transported on roof bars and mainly used on flat water/rivers.cheers

Thumbs up Welcome

Hi There and a warm welcome to the forum, I will let the more experienced among us to give you the advice you seek, in the meantime Welcome and when the time comes Happy PaddlingBill

Greetings from Brazil. Hope you get a nice canoe soon....
    Tony BR
    www.companhiadecanoagem.com.br
    www.canoacanadense.com.br/english.htm
    Past 20 years teaching Biology!
    Next 20 building Canoes!!!

Default Welcome

Good to have you along for the trip.

Look through the canoe reviews, make a shortlist, then try as many as you can before you buy.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

Welcome.

Pretty much all canoe can be transported on a car roof and most will make you grin. Best bet is to try and get a shot in a few to see what suits. If you are looking for a budget canoe the Coleman canoes from Costco are great value.
    John

Greetings from Lisburn...
    I'm not an Alcoholic... I'm Irish... There's a Difference...!!

hi all, thanks for the pointers an kind words, after some searching i am leaning towards the old town. just missed one for sale over here. if anybody knows where i could try one or point me in the direction of a seller it would be appreciated. i live on the outskirts of lurgan if any meets are on give me a shout an i will come an say hello

Welcome..

My advice as a newcomer myself is consider how heavy your prospective canoe will be and how easily you can get on top of your car. Thats causing me untold pain (literally )

Quote Originally Posted by jonno View Post
    Welcome..

My advice as a newcomer myself is consider how heavy your prospective canoe will be and how easily you can get on top of your car. Thats causing me untold pain (literally )
    Yes jonno thats where i was hoping experienced advice would come from its ok to know how much you can bench press but convert that into a canoe the height of lift and elements its a different altogether. on the subject of lift there must be a proven way ie straight lift and place on bars or lean the canoe on the back of the car at fulcrum point, lift an slide into place...maybe as usual thinkin too deep.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonrider View Post
    lean the canoe on the back of the car at fulcrum point, lift an slide into place...maybe as usual thinkin too deep.
    There is nothing wrong with a bit of deep thinking if it leads to getting the canoe out on the water............... its not thinking at all that's the crime.

Welcome to the forum, I hope you get sorted with a canoe. But keep an eye on the meet section as we often have room for a passenger. And check with the CANI office as they sometimes have come and try it sessions.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

Hi mate

welcome, no doubt we will see each other on the water at some point.

Dave

aka Keltoi

Usually found on the banks of Strangford Lough
    Keltoi and associates - The sick and the wrong!

Hi and welcome to the forum. Happy paddling!

Hi Dragonrider,

Two places I'd suggest you put your head into, first Mike the Bikes, in Newtownards, he sells old town, I'll be up front and tell all I used to work for Gary (the Owner)
    I'm sure others will tell you he can be a bit strange at times, but generally has stuff in , rarely demos now daysas it cost him too much.

Closer to you is Craigavon watersports they have a range of canoes kayaks, sail boats etc, they don't sell but have some excellent coaches.

Other places to try is Tollymore, they run corses but again I don't think they hire, and Blue lough in castlewellan, used to hire for use on the lake in castlewellan park.

Hopefully that will get you on the water soon.
    JD
    He knows not where he's going, For the ocean will decide, It's not the destination, It's the glory of the ride

a mine of information thanks all, been to the watersports centre,bikemec would ya have the number for mike the bikes,cheers

you have a pm
    JD
    He knows not where he's going, For the ocean will decide, It's not the destination, It's the glory of the ride

Quote Originally Posted by bikemec View Post

Mike the Bikes, in Newtownards, he sells old town,
    Are you sure he still sells Old Town, last time I spoke to him he said he was only doing Mad River canoes.

Maybe I got it mixed up.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

I'm paddling on Lough Neagh this Sat morning. Your welcome to try my Nova craft SP3

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al. View Post
    Are you sure he still sells Old Town, last time I spoke to him he said he was only doing Mad River canoes.

Maybe I got it mixed up.
    I was in at the start of the month and he had an Old Town Penobscot. Didn't pay much attention though.

hi big al, spoke to mike the bikes yesterday, he currently has a old town 174 (didnt give type). but he believes he wont be doin anymore old town once that ones gone
    Garetine where and what time are you putting in, i have got something on for sat but if i can juggle it around your time i will...thankyou

There's a little bay close to Gawley's Gate, we're meeting there around 09:30. It's a rescue session so can't say we'll be there past 12:30. If you are coming let me know and I'll throw the boat on for you.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by dragonrider View Post
    Yes jonno thats where i was hoping experienced advice would come from its ok to know how much you can bench press but convert that into a canoe the height of lift and elements its a different altogether. on the subject of lift there must be a proven way ie straight lift and place on bars or lean the canoe on the back of the car at fulcrum point, lift an slide into place...maybe as usual thinkin too deep.

I drive an old banger, and after struggling to lift my sit on top from the side of my car onto the roof bars, I have now adopted the technique of lifting the back end of the boat onto the bonnet and sliding it up the front of the car. it takes about a quarter of the effort, and the windscreen doesn't seem to mind, and I find the grooves in the bonnet paintwork add to the character of the car!!
    Charlie
    I dont believe in Reincarnation, I didn't believe it when I was an Aardvark, and I dont believe it now!

Quote Originally Posted by garetine View Post
    There's a little bay close to Gawley's Gate, we're meeting there around 09:30. It's a rescue session so can't say we'll be there past 12:30. If you are coming let me know and I'll throw the boat on for you.

Pete
    garetine, have juggled mate(couldn't find a juggler) but can't promise i will be there tomorrow mate...if i get back in time i will call down to say hello and maybe arrange aonother time cheers

Hi,
    Not to worry, we'll do it another time.
    Pete

foolishly thought i would be able to turn up an find ya today pete, managed to get away and i was in the gawleys gate inn area at 1115 drove up an down the edge of the lough for an hour. ended up leaving via aghalee.thats a lesson learnt....great weather too.....was i close?

Hi and a very warm welcome to the forum...Raymond.

Hi Dragonrider,

Greetings from Portstewart.

Have a look at the Valkyrie Craft site:

http://www.valkyriecraft.com/

John Wlkinson in Castlerock makes beautiful canoes (GRP hull with wood trim gunwales and seats - ash, cedar) to order. He has very little waiting list at present.

I have a Valkyrie Erne Tourer (wider, more stable - I use it for sailing).

venture88 has a Valkyrie Prospector (lovely easy paddler).

There are some nice pictures of them both in this blog of a trip on Lough Beg:

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=10056

Happy paddling,

Frank
    The impossible we do at once - miracles take a little longer!

Default valkyrie

cheers windblown...a good link..thanks