Thread: The long awaited Pocket cookers are in

Default The long awaited Pocket cookers are in

I dont know if any of you guys have been waiting for a supplier to get hold of these , but what looks like the last remaining lot are now being sold here http://www.trekdirect.co.uk/acatalog...okware_53.html
    5th item down , also 3rd down may be of interest .

I have no connection to trek direct , i have just been waiting a long time for a pocket cooker .

Pumbaa

Noticed that a couple of weeks ago.
    I have thought about getting one ?? are they any good ??has anybody got one?? what did they think of it??
    I was thinking about taking a run over to Skye to collect it and save on postage as I also fancy a Dutch Oven and a few other things .
    But on second thoughts that could be rather expensive

MickT
    It'll be right, trust me, I'm a Yorkshireman.

::>>> I'd rather be lucky, than good.

i just ordered mine today , couldnt resit the grilliput either . once its here i will give it a go and see how good they both are . From what i have heard they are not the fastest cooker to boil water , but i like the idea of not having to keep buying gas or petrol for a stove .
    Pumbaa

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

No connection either, but I've used trek direct quite a bit on and off, and they have been good to deal with every time.

These pocket cookers still seem to be on route tho' - the last update suggested more news after the 12th August ... ?

They arrived today

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

Ah ha, thanks.

Journal Entries

Mine arrived yesterday. very compact. A crusader mug sits on top of it perfectly. Looking forward to seeing how it performs.

*Sigh*

As pleased as I am to hear that they are out on their travels, I have no idea where mine is, still in the sorting office I assume, along with the other 10 million items of post caught up in the sudden, SW sorting-office strike that's just finished it's run of a few days. Still, bumper parcel delivery soon then once they catch up again !

I'm looking forward to see how it differs to my recently acquired firebox.
    I also ordered another folding trowel from TrekDirect - I own one already and it's been very, very handy, and saves a knife blade from being used as a trowel, or having to make one from a stick.

Err, and I've ordered another one, because I had a parcel coming anyway ... and it seemed a shame to waste it ...

They do seem to have some usefull stuff. The article that I would never go without when cooking with gas/primus etc is the windshield on page http://www.trekdirect.co.uk/acatalog...okware_52.html
    Mines well abused and doesn't have the little plastic pocket but essentially the same thing - it's paid for itself many times in fuel saved and more importantly gets your cuppa ready quicker and even saves weight on a week long trip due to the reduced fuel use.

Caution - I once used mine with a silly little camping gaz stove and when well wrapped its quite possible to generate temperatures inside that melt the ridiculous plastic knobs of such devices.
    Happy paddling ,
    Rob.

Journal Entries

Took my Pocket Cooker out for its first test today. I am very impressed. Fuel wise you are looking for twigs etc like you would use in a Kelly Kettle.

You will notice that I kept the side vent open. This is, in my opinion, only really for adding fuel. With it closed you get a really good draft created and the cooker burns even poor fuel well. In fact I was expecting it not to perform well as I had rubbish twigs for it but withing a very short time the water was boiling away good style.

The unit itself packs very small and I can see it being used as an alternative to the Kelly Kettle when I want to save pack space but still boil my water using twig fuel.

All in all very pleased

Ok, mine arrived over the weekend, so I gave it a go in the real wilderness of the back garden.

I did plan to test it alongside the Nomad firebox that I got back a bit, but annoyingly, in between times, I seem to have temporarily mislaid it ... I'll find it in time for next weekend tho' I'm sure - I think it's in the 'survivalist bag' in back of the LR.

I've got a woodburner in the house, and have had for years, so this can only like a little outdoor woodburner surely ... which turned out to be about right in the end.

Mine was badly plonked down, right in the teeth of the gale that was howling in under the gate, which is why it looked quite as ferocious as it does in the pictures. If I'd placed it a bit more sensibly, I'm sure it would have been altogether more relaxed. Pretty fast to bring water upto the boil from cold, and tended to eat fuel in the process, but again, that's the placement as much as anything - a bit more shelter would have prevented it running like a jet engine ... hmm, as would have shutting the fuel vent down a bit too, come to that.

This pocket stove is just what I've been looking for so I ordered one today. FYI, they're selling seconds at £10 a go at the moment.
    Gibbo.
    _____________________________________________________________ ________
    http://gibboscanoe.blogspot.com/ Please click on the adverts: it earns me money...

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    This pocket stove is just what I've been looking for so I ordered one today. FYI, they're selling seconds at £10 a go at the moment.
    Gibbo.
    Where from?
    If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.
    Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away" --Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by nigelp View Post
    Where from?
    Trekdirect, specifically this page.

Quote Originally Posted by monkey_pork View Post
    Trekdirect, specifically this page.
    Cheers one ordered!
    If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.
    Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away" --Henry David Thoreau

That looks interesting. When I get back on a broadband connection, I'll give the site a closer look. Thanks for the link.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

I bought a "second " months ago I'm surprised he has any "seconds " left.

MickT
    It'll be right, trust me, I'm a Yorkshireman.

::>>> I'd rather be lucky, than good.

Quote Originally Posted by monkey_pork View Post

Hi MP

Just wondering what make/type of pot you are using on your pocket cooker?

Looks a quality bit of kit.

Cheers

Sprout

I found that my pocket stove doesn't cope with high winds as well as a KK, maybe a winshield would help. Otherwise they are great value for money. I bought mine as a 'seconds' but there was nothing wrong at all.

Quote Originally Posted by nigelp View Post
    Where from?
    Others have posted the Trek link but I noticed they're also on eBay at the moment too.
    Gibbo.
    http://gibboscanoe.blogspot.com/ Please click on the adverts: it earns me money...

Default Seconds

Bought mine as seconds and recieved a propper one, with note stating that they could not find any seconds. I was not charged extra. They may just have too many in stock? Used the company a few times and always had good service.
    Alec aka Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by GL12 View Post
    Bought mine as seconds and recieved a propper one, with note stating that they could not find any seconds. I was not charged extra. They may just have too many in stock? Used the company a few times and always had good service.
    Interesting as I just looked at their website and noticed they've sold out of seconds. I might get a new one??
    Gibbo.

Yep Trek direct, country trader are the same company and they are selling them on e-bay, they currently have 3 left.

IIRC the company is run by Drew Love-Jones who used to be involved with Survival School.

Thanks for the lead guys just took a chance on a second from ebay for a tenner P+P inc!!!!!!

cheers zeb
    All the best
    Zeb

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    Interesting as I just looked at their website and noticed they've sold out of seconds. I might get a new one??
    I reckon I did - or at least, I can't see anything wrong with it! (Only twice the price of the Woolies version, including delivery. Thanks for the heads up guys!) I have had bought quite a few bits & bobs from Trek direct recently - always superb service.

P.S. Anyone want to buy a second hand cutlery drainer with only moderate scorching?
    The Canoeist's prayer: "Lord grant me the serenity to walk the portages I must, The courage to run the rapids I can, And the wisdom to know the difference".

John Muir Trust - Wild Places for Nature & People.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprout View Post
    Hi MP

Just wondering what make/type of pot you are using on your pocket cooker?

Looks a quality bit of kit.

Cheers

Sprout
    It's a Tatonka 'kettle'.

It's not really a kettle (tho' I do have a Tatonka kettle that is a kettle one of their h2o pans, and that's fantastic), it's a pan with a lid that has a handle and is useful in it's own right as a little err, pan I guess, or a plate ... I'd measure it for you, but, and this is 100% true, the kitties have done 'something' with my tape measure (and a watch too today).

Having just offered it up, the 1.0 ltr version has slightly greater circumference than a CD, so say 175mm maybe ?

Heresy I know, but I prefer these to the Zebra billy cans, as being a bit wider, they are more stable, which is especially handy if you cook like me, which is to plonk the pan down into the ash bed, or on the edge of the fire, rather than hanging it over the fire, (although these'll be fine for that too as they have a bail).

Our friends at TrekDirect stock them (and that's where mine was from).
    ... which reminds me, I must get another one to keep in the back of the LR.
    Good price too I think (no connection with TD etc), and I like Tatonka stuff generally, I don't think I've ever had a duff product from them.

Well, mine arrived today, the only thing that I could find wrong with it was a slightly dented box, good service from ebay and for a tenner delivered definitely worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by leon-1 View Post
    Well, mine arrived today, the only thing that I could find wrong with it was a slightly dented box, good service from ebay and for a tenner delivered definitely worth it.
    Mine arrived too with no discernible damage either. A bargain at £10. Hopefully my new tent will arrive this week too. I'm planning a night out in the garden with the kids before taking them out canoe/ camping proper.
    Gibbo.

I really like the pocket cooker, it is easy to light and burns OK in a low wind. In high winds it is good once it gets going. I like using split sticks of about an inch diameter so that some embers develop and usually light if by dropping small stuff in through the top 'kelly kettle' style until it is going, then feed th ebigh stuff in through the door. Generally I end up with two longer sticks and feed them in.

My feeling it that the fire can easily be starved of oxygen if you are not careful in stoking it and it can get smoky, but with dry fuel and careful feeding it will burn smoke free. In this respect a good open box may be better.

One thing to be careful of is that hot ash falls through the base and so it is best set up on a surface that won't be scorched. My avatar shows the cooker with the trangia kettle and this makes a good combination if coupled with a small pan (I like the MSR stainless ones as the kettle and firelighting kit fits inside).

At ten pounds it is a good value , I don't know if I would have bought it at full price, but it does work and it is cute.

Graham