Thread: Tyne Tour

Default Tyne Tour

Any one going on the tyne tour this year?

I have missed the last 4 or 5 even though fully intending to go.

i WILL make this one.

there isn't much info on the web site i found yet. www.tynetour.co.uk
    Rogue

I am seriousley considering going. what sort of grade is the river and is the whole tour suitable for a traditional open.
    I Started out with nothing! and i still have most of it left.

i think there are grades to suit all tasts. though I'll have to dig out my guide book. I know many open boaters go every year.

sadly I was only a kayaker when i last went
    Rogue

im planning on going as the canoe camping club go every year
    as i understand it it was massvie water last year and many did not go on the water(huge stoppers etc)
    however my son goes and says its great fun so i intend to go and cramp his style this year
    if its the north tyne and walden then it is a pleasent run on grade 1/2 with a grade 3 at the bottom with a flat water rescue bit at the bottom
    this is what i can remember from 20+years ago. we went in winter and the river was iced over and we ran our kayaks onto the ice to break a route through!!. that was on the flat bits between rapids.
    the cold did wonders for everyones support strokes as i remember.
    should be able to run straight down the bottom bit no problem
    andy m
    nature is m X-box

never heard of it but sounds good, will have to see if I'm available
    Leone_blanco

I'll be there, but then I live on the banks of the tyne (down on the tidal stretch).

Warden Gorge is grade three, but it's pretty high volume compared to the usual English grade three due to a release from Kielder. It's doable in opens if you have a reasonable idea what you're doing, but there are normally a few comments made on ukriversguide from kayakers amused by the number of swimming canoeists.

The cheek of it, last one I went on (about five years ago), I was just about to hit the surf wave at the bottom with less than a tea cup of water in the boat, when some swimming, kayaking woman grabbed my gunnel screaming "rescue me" and nearly capsized me. I have to admit to giving her a bit of about not being on the water if she was going to panic like that when we got into the eddy. I think I've become even less tolerant since then, so it should be fun!!

If it's raining, get the North Tyne done in the morning then go for the Allen if the afternoon, it's a short trip but great in an open. If you don't fancy the bumpy stuff try the South Tyne, I don't think there's anything above grade 1, bottom of grade 2 at most.

Perhaps this could turn into a bit of an add on SOTP meet at the same time, would be good to paddle with someone who knows the area and the water.
    Leone_blanco

when i last went there there was no kielder for releases jsut the normal river flow. i suspect the current normal is lower than when i paddled due kielder being there
    funny old world isnt it?
    due to progress you have to book your paddle to coincide with water release
    nature is m X-box

All the photos I've seen of this event show a very crowded river and eddies packed out with boats. Lots of smiling faces so folk are clearly enjoying it, but I'm just not used to seeing anyone else on the river, 'cept for at 'Tully.

It's not that I'm antisocial, just that I like room to swing a paddle, so this event is not for me.

Unless I went in a kayak maybe? Now that's a thought.
    If it wasn't for the rain in our lives there would be no rivers. X 2

Yes it can get busy but it is a big river. The usual run is from Barrisford to Hexham but since the area around Warden Gorge is an SSSI, they have marshalls preventing you from landing to either inspect or portage. If you don't think you are up to Warden then you need to do a section higher up. The trip is a reasonably long one, in WW terms and mostly grade 2, flat bits, waves, a couple of big but friendly weirs and then Warden. Yes this is a grade 3 but if someone gives you a line, most paddlers with manouevring capabilities should get down it unscathed. In bigger water the surf wave at the bottom becomes something of a boat swamping stopper but I understand it is not retentive and there is flat water downstream.

I think it is a good trip and I am hoping to get there this year.

(I also hate it when kayakers grab your gunwales. I try not to do it when in the boat so I don't see why someone else feels they can do it to me. I think my worst experience of this was and the centre wave on the Tryweryn. I hit the eddy and an small army of grubby mits hit the gunwales, and then they grumble that you are in the way. Just let go and let me get on with it!!!)

I am antisocial, but it's my local I guess, so what you gonna do? What was worse about the swimmer was she was surrounded by people from the club she was with, all in high volume creek boats that were a far better option for a rescue, and she swam away from them to get to me and tried to climb into the boat right on the biggest wave on the river!

Don't do the Tyne Tour for the tranquility of open boating!! It's all about the bumpy water and the stupidity of trying to bounce lots of plastic down a river that we're finally allowed to paddle after the stranglehold on access from the fishing season. They even had signs on Warden last time I was there, to point you at different lines!!! It's a festival for boaters.

Andym, you're showing your age there, I can remember a photo of me standing at the base of the valve tower at Kielder, on the outside before it was flooded. I was about 6! (my dad was part of the crew that built the dam)

One extra thing to remember is to get a helmet if haven't got one already, I got a bit of one year for not wearing one on Warden, but as the marshalls were having a go, the Local Access Officer for the BCU paddled past and doffed his cap to them!

Marshal - "where's your helmet?"

LAO - "It's in my boat!"

Quote Originally Posted by David B View Post
    I am seriousley considering going. what sort of grade is the river and is the whole tour suitable for a traditional open.

The tour covers several different river sections so you have a choice of trips. None of these are 'led' so you should paddle as a self contained group. However, shuttle buses are available to help you get back to your car if necessary.

The North Tyne has three main sections. Falstone to Bellingham is a beautiful grade 1 trip and ideal for people with little river running experience. Bellingham to Wark and then Wark to Barrasford both contain flat sections broken up by grade 1 and 2 rapids. These are excellent open canoe stretches. The more serious white water bit has been mentioned in the other posts. This is from Barrasford to Hexham and includes Warden Gorge at grade 3, or 4 in very high water. This is regularly paddled by competent traditional open canoeists, but I've also seen several boats pinned and broken on this section. If in doubt just stick to the other sections.

The South Tyne has an excellent grade 1/2 stretch from Haydon Bridge to Hexham - an open boat classic.

Most of the tupperware (kayak plastic) is concentrated on the Barrasford to Hexham part. This leaves plenty of other stretches for more traditional canoeists. The event also attracts trade stands (eg Nova Craft usually have a stall and demo boats for use) and the atmosphere is great. The event usually ties in with Hexhams fireworks night which is always impressive.

There's a tyne tour website at www.tynetour.co.uk . However, this does seem to still be under construstion at the moment and the gallery a bit kayak orientated.

Camping at Tyne Green in Hexham is included in the ticket price. It would make a good venue for a meet up and SOTP members could arrange to book en-bloc and camp together.

Without wanting to detract from this excellent event, Magikelly and I have discussed a possible meet up based at Kielder (the source of the Tyne) at another time. This could also include paddling some of these sections. Would there be any interest in that?

Quote Originally Posted by Prospector View Post
    Without wanting to detract from this excellent event, Magikelly and I have discussed a possible meet up based at Kielder (the source of the Tyne) at another time. This could also include paddling some of these sections. Would there be any interest in that?

yes. when? would one or two of my missguided kayak friends be welcome?
    Rogue

Quote Originally Posted by Prospector View Post

Yes an SOTP meet would be infinatley more preferable to playing dodgems with a load of yakers.
    I Started out with nothing! and i still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by saarlak View Post
    I am antisocial, but it's my local I guess, so what you gonna do? What was worse about the swimmer was she was surrounded by people from the club she was with, all in high volume creek boats that were a far better option for a rescue, and she swam away from them to get to me and tried to climb into the boat right on the biggest wave on the river!

Don't do the Tyne Tour for the tranquility of open boating!! It's all about the bumpy water and the stupidity of trying to bounce lots of plastic down a river that we're finally allowed to paddle after the stranglehold on access from the fishing season. They even had signs on Warden last time I was there, to point you at different lines!!! It's a festival for boaters.

Andym, you're showing your age there, I can remember a photo of me standing at the base of the valve tower at Kielder, on the outside before it was flooded. I was about 6! (my dad was part of the crew that built the dam)

One extra thing to remember is to get a helmet if haven't got one already, I got a bit of one year for not wearing one on Warden, but as the marshalls were having a go, the Local Access Officer for the BCU paddled past and doffed his cap to them!

Marshal - "where's your helmet?"

LAO - "It's in my boat!"
    give that access officer a medal
    its your choice no should impose their ideals on you
    nature is m X-box

Wearing a helmet would be a personal choice thing if they hadn't put it in the rules that everyone must wear a helmet.

Don't ever forget that as canoeists we are second class citizens even within paddlesport, and the rules come from people who predominantly kayak. It's fair enough though, you're unlikely to hit your head off a rock but there are a lot of kayaks and paddles to do you an injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    yes. when? would one or two of my missguided kayak friends be welcome?
    I think we'd want to avoid November because of the Tyne Tour, but I'm open to suggestions for dates. I'll have a look at my diary next week and maybe start a new thread.

As for the kayakers - it will give us another chance to convert the misguided...............

Not to put a damper on it, I used to work at a centre on Kielder and would love to paddle there for fun (rather than fun and profit), but last I looked Kielder was 8 a day to paddle and it was a real hassle finding someone to take your money. Oh and I seem to remember there's officially no wild camping without fluttering eyelids at the waterboard. Don't let me put you off, the waterboard are often very helpful and open to offers, just giving the heads up on stuff that may need to be worked around. I'm more than happy to do a bit of calling round if it's needed.

On the up side I may be able to get mates rates on a couple of 16 berth log cabins with hot showers and a road right to the water, normally used for school groups but available for private hire. Other options would be Leaplish campsite but have no idea on rates.

As for when, the later the better, cold weather is far better than midgie season up there!

Prospector works on a site that has all the camping facilities we could wish for as well as access to the water.

When Kim starts a new thread we will go through more details there but it is a good opportunity. One thought is it has the potential to be a great site for a large combined SotP and BCUK meet but that would require a fairly long lead in time. A smaller SotP only meet might be able to be held sooner but might not have enough numbers to justify it for the site.
    John

Default Tyne tour this year

I've been to all of the last 5 years of the Tyne Tours (originally in kayak, now usually in open) - I don't go for the top notch paddling - it's the social!!

So, in answer to your original post Sandy, I'll be there in trad open, with a big bunch of k kers and maybe some other open boaters! (Been meaning to quiz you on your Ocoee for a while now as keep spotting you at CT & I'm thinking about getting one- so that might be a good opportunity, unless I 'bump' into you before then).

Mind you, water levels were splendid last year & the rivers were in fab condition. Pretty stonking for trad boats - lots of buoyancy & some good swamping avoidance techniques needed !! Great fun!

Jas

any where in the lakes would be good for a sopt meet and a bit closer for those in the south and of course a bit further for those in the north
    what venue would be bang in the middle north/south
    of course living in s yorkshire it doesent matter to me but for others it can be alng journey
    nature is m X-box

Not only is the locality important but having a venue with skope to do a different array of things, flat water, moving water etc. The Lakes is an ideal venue but for distances from the south/ Scotland etc. Also have to remember those in Ireland
    Leone_blanco