Thread: Waves, says Hello

Thumbs up Waves, says Hello

I'm Ian, 54, been a fisherman these 49 years but despite this occasionally still tell the truth.

Semi-retired these days, I'm a bit of an imposter really since I don't have a canoe, and haven't had one for what's seems around a lifetime back now. But from the kayak I did once have I once watched a grey seal crunch his way through a flounder he'd just surfaced with, and was close enough to get a free drink of briny from him when he crashdived on hearing me make some wee noise of which he apparently didn't approve...

But I am a water user. I've got a couple of boats, one of which is light enough to be trailed to wherever I'll be fishing; which is mostly inland lochs.

If anyone's got queries about fishing, I guess I'm as qualified as anyone to venture an opinion, but laws about this between up here and England/Wales are very different indeed. In England it's the EA that gets the blame for everything, up here it's SNH (really RSPB in disguise )

On the water I've always liked the freedom, the solitude, the relative silence. I'm mostly afloat on my own in my wee boat unless I've an invited day guest.

As to , I'm a bit too arthritic for that these days (I think) but have read the posts on various bits of outdoor cookery with huge interest and also learned a fair old bit as well. I'm a Kelly Kettle fan too, and also got a clone volcano kettle of 2.5L capacity that came with a wee accessory cooking kit as well, but it's I'm afraid.

There y'are, a wee thumbnail sketch of me.

Think that's it?

Nice to meet y'all, (shakes hands all round)

Ian

Hi Ian, Welcome aboard. I am sure we will forgive you for not having a canoe, yet At least you do not have a Kayak

I can't remember any threads about canoeing and arthritis so not sure how it would effect it but since there are a good few members this side of the border I am sure you could get along to a meet up for a try and see how it works out, without having to spend the money.

If you had signed on a little earlier you could have met up with a couple of members at Loch Ard today. They were specifically going for a fishing trip.

Anyway, welcome again and any questions just let me know.
    John

Hi Ian,

I suffer from arthritis in my left foot, it's locked solid with the stuff. Even in my most comfortable kayak I need to stop and get out every hour or so,

In the canoe I can paddle all day, I can move around and flex when I need to.

but as long as your out on the water (but not on a jet ski) then it's all good.
    JD
    He knows not where he's going, For the ocean will decide, It's not the destination, It's the glory of the ride

Well John and JD
    thanks for the welcome, it's the need to stay folded up in a wee canoe that I think would mean I'd pay for it later on... mind you, the bits between the joints work okay it's only my hinges that're knackered. My wee boat's just big enough to let me stand/move etc to ease things as I begin to stiffen up. (And the big sea-boat's open-decked enough for walking around in.)

My knowledge of canoes is limited to seeing folks come a-paddlin' through the wet sometimes when I've been fishing on this or that river, and lately I've seen two or three of Mr Mears' TV progs. Of course I'm far too ignorant to know if what he says about canoes is on the mark - or off it, amongst the cognoscenti here.

But from that source I found out about firesteels, one of which I'm about to buy, and some other points of interest that have set me thinking of doing some boat-based wild camping, while I'm still fit enough to consider that as a not-too-daft option.

Of course I'll be killing a fish or two here and there??? Which I've been known to do in the past (occasionally) Fresh trout smoked onsite is a rare pleasure!!

Most likely I'll only be an occasional poster, since it seems likely I'll have little to contribute to a dedicated canoeing list, but even if that proves to be the case I'll still be reading - and learning!

And fishing too, I've little doubt

Cheers chaps.
    Ian

Many people do not realise that you stand up and move about in a canoe. Indeed in river work you stand up and pole the canoe so there is a good chance you will be able to be as comfortable with a canoe as you are in a boat.

Where about are you located? If near enough we could meet for a paddle sometime and see what you think. I can even give you some tips with your firesteel ( one of which is that you might want to contact Outdoorcode as he is about the cheapest supplier of these )
    John

You can? I think on reflection that the craft I've seen on Tay and Clyde were the white water sort of kayak, with splash-skirts and straight-ahead legs for the pilot. Indeed the one I had years back was also a kayak, (and a cheap crude thing it was too)

In a Canadian type, are you seated or kneeling? I'd more or less assumed it'd be kneeling I think. Which I'm not very good at!

I'm in St Andrews; and sometimes see sea paddlers coming along the coast from Fife Ness, a hardy bunch of guys they must be too! That's one unforgiving stretch of coastline if fog or an onshore breeze should spring up; fog's what kept me from taking the big boat out this past weekend.

As you suggested, I've pinned a marker on the map.

Think I'll go do some net checking on canoes. information can't hurt after all. Can it?
    Ian

Welcome aboard.

Another Scot, not to far away. Looking forward to tips on fishing of which I am completly ignorant.

As to Arthritis, it affects all sufferers differently but I developed Rhematoid Arthritis nearly eight years ago and for a while doubted I'd ever kneel, walk or move properly again. My wrists and Knees are the worst affected ( just the joints you need) but I haven't found it nearly as bad as I thought.
    When I started canoeing (a year ago) I always sat, the seat is raised and you can move you legs around no problems. These days I usually kneel as its more secure but I still move around alot. Most of your weight is still supported by the seat.

No harm in looking . lochore meadows have canoes for hire if you just want to give it a shot for an hour. And again your not to far away to meet up sometime.
    'There is no wealth but life itself.'

Hi SilverGirl, thanks for the message, as you say - I know "the Meadies" well, used to drown worms there when I was a wee lad. So they're doing canoes there, are they? I found an outfit at Killin also offering used ex-rental canoes. They're hovering around the 500 mark.

Y'know I'd a feeling it might prove expensive, coming aboard this userlist. I've been doing a bit of homework...

As per ebay item #120021840031
    I know my way reasonably well around cars, motorcycles, and motorboats. But this is rather a different ballpark.

If I'm wise/daft enough to get one of these things it'll have to be a car topper, and also light enough to let me get it on and off without risking dents in the car if the move gets fluffed. I'm seeing weights of 40-50kgs in ones I could imagine using, but I reckon that's on the heavy side for me.

(I'd wondered about ones with a transom to take a small outboard, if my joints should seize up before I'm where I need to be!)

Feel free, anyone, to pitch in with words of wisdom here? It's only money, after all...

Be careful of canoes on ebay, unless you know what your after, some go for well over their value.

We originally looked at the Mad river tt explorer 36 kg but taking it of the roofrack i nearly knacked my wrist for the rest of the day and that was with two of us.
    We bought a royalex prospector 29kg and with practice I can now get it of and on the rof on my own ( if I need to)

The difference in weight was a big factor, I'm sure if we'd got the heavier canoe we would not have used it nearly as much.

The Predator 15 @ 23Kg and a wee transom looks a little like the sort of thing that could prove tempting?

I like Lochs Tay and Rannoch; could see me using something like that around there - around the more sheltered western end of the lochs - I know how dangerous those big lochs can get if it should blow up nasty.

You're right about ebay! I've seen lots of things go for more than a new one might have cost, seems that folks get a bit desperate to "win" (clever piece of marketspeak, that!) and forget a bit about economics.

Where do you two use your ?

so far this year the spey, the Tay, Ayssnt, loch lomond, loch Tummel, the Trossachs and a few other places.

Quote Originally Posted by GoneFishing View Post
    Hi SilverGirl, thanks for the message, as you say - I know "the Meadies" well, used to drown worms there when I was a wee lad. So they're doing canoes there, are they? I found an outfit at Killin also offering used ex-rental canoes. They're hovering around the 500 mark.

Y'know I'd a feeling it might prove expensive, coming aboard this userlist. I've been doing a bit of homework...

As per ebay item #120021840031
    I know my way reasonably well around cars, motorcycles, and motorboats. But this is rather a different ballpark.

If I'm wise/daft enough to get one of these things it'll have to be a car topper, and also light enough to let me get it on and off without risking dents in the car if the move gets fluffed. I'm seeing weights of 40-50kgs in ones I could imagine using, but I reckon that's on the heavy side for me.

(I'd wondered about ones with a transom to take a small outboard, if my joints should seize up before I'm where I need to be!)

Feel free, anyone, to pitch in with words of wisdom here? It's only money, after all...

use e-bay only if you are sure it's what you want and the price is right use caution regarding the description and if poss view before you bid,
    regarding your interest in mounting a motor a universal mount is available from canoe outlets,SHAKESPEARE do a 3hp 12V outboard that does the paddling for you