Thread: Easy Family paddle, with hire, Killin, Loch Tay

Default Easy Family paddle, with hire, Killin, Loch Tay

There is a very easy beginner / family paddle at Killin. (OS sht 51, NN 572 333).

The rivers Lochay and Tay are very slow flowing and sheltered as they join and enter Loch Tay. Also there are a set of islands at the river mouth, with picnic beaches. These give a nice 'collecting feature' as you paddle onto the loch. [avoiding the temptation to paddle straight into the cold middle of the loch!]

The access is very good, being immediately adjacent to the hotel and almost opposite the public car park. Normally you can drive to the waters edge (ask if fisherfolk present) to unload (steep ramp).

More importantly for the beginner, you can hire a boat and all the gear (paddles, life jackets) from Killin Outdoor [http://www.killinoutdoor.co.uk/canoe/canoe.html], immediately adjacent the carpark. The boats are on a trolley so a short brisk walk (100m!!) to get you started [you don't have to carry anything! that's what the trolley does].

The boats are suitable for a family of 4 (2 adults + 2 medium (6-12) kids). We started there. Then had many son's birthday parties with 2 or 3 of his friends. Lots of messing about on the beaches, cooking up on a trangia (the kelly kettle would be just as good!), they even enjoyed it the year it drizzled all day!.

The length of water on the map may not look much but with exploring each river (weaving upstream!) and round the islands, there is plenty for a day's exploring.

Ideal if you're on holiday or are passing through the area, even if you don't have your own gear with you.

Philip
    [Ok to put on Places section if suitable]
    Last edited by philipoakley; 5th-January-2006 at 05:15 PM.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by philipoakley
    Philip
    [Ok to put on Places section if suitable]
    May well appear there just need to try and get a satellite shot to stop it being too text heavy.
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here

Journal Entries

On main site now. If you have any pictures from this area let me know and I will add them.

Either that or if anyone has an image of the map from this area. The satellite photo is not very clear.
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here

4. Default killin

here are a couple of shot if they are any use to you

lewis river lochay

allan and lewis loch tay

will you not be infringing copyright by reproducing map

why not ask killinoutdoors for permission to reproduce their own route map

I'll try to do this today, get some photos and lay a Geocache.

Nick

The Tay's a special place

7. Default

Hello
    I work at the outdoor shop in Killin and its great to hear such great reviews long before I started working here.

Annoyingly the website link is out of date. Is there are means of changing it or updating the review? One great addition is that we take the boats down for customers now so less work and more boats!

Its quite a big part of out business now because its so nice and quiet.

Stephen