Thread: Bit scared to mention it but....

Default Bit scared to mention it but....

.........kayak....................

There, I said it. After months of not daring to make a post in case somebody found out, I've finally said it.

And you know what ? - it feels good to finally be out of the closet.

It's true, my canoe's not really a canoe at all, it - well - they are kayaks, all of them (apart from the surf ski).

Trouble is I'm not sure my aspirations are very "kayaky", most of the other kayak paddlers I've met seem to have a far greater interest in the scary stuff (or serious competition stuff) than I.

I'm more a sort of touring & taking my boy out for a pleasant afternoon somewhere nice, maybe with a bit of a picnic or pub lunch and perhaps a play in a friendly wave type paddler; and at first glance this site seemed a lot more appropriate than the kayak sites I've visited.

Go on then, kick me out.

But before I go, anyone fancy a paddle somewhere nice in warwickshire maybe with a bit of a picnic or pub lunch and perhaps a play in a friendly wave, when the weather warms up a bit ?

Regards (and goodbye ?)
    BrianV

That made me laugh.
    If it's any consolation Brian, i'm learning in a kayak, but i want a canoe.

i come from the kayaking side and have grown into open boats for the space for equipment for comfy camping i desided that i didnt want to be cramped up fopr hours i didnt want to take the smallest sandwich box,i wanted to have proper food and the ability to relax after a days paddling in comfort.dont get me worng there is a place for touring in kayaks but if its comfort,good food and space to strech your legs then for me the answer was an open boat,happy boating .......

That's my idea. Get my practice in with kayaks (mainly because York only has kayak schools despite calling themselves Canoe Clubs) and buy a canoe for the space.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunwitch View Post
    That's my idea. Get my practice in with kayaks (mainly because York only has kayak schools despite calling themselves Canoe Clubs) and buy a canoe for the space.
    being a york man your not far away from donny or leeds and theres plenty of paddlers in and around ..have a look at the members map.

So, not been thrown out yet, (maybe tomorrow?)

Thanks for the welcoming comments chaps.

Sorry but I've been a kayak paddler for about 20 years now and I don't think I can be saved.

I love the 3d aspect to kayaks, the fact that I can get them on their side in a wave, go upside down at times, surf, etc.

I can never get comfortable in open boats, I always feel exposed and vunerable, and petrified I'm going to go in. Whereas in the kayak I don't care if I go in, I just pop back up again, it's part of the fun.

I love my boats and boating, but have got bored with my own company and am looking to find a group to go paddling with. Unfortunately I've not really felt at home in the kayak groups I've met, like I said before their interests dont seem to fit with mine.

Happy paddling.
    BrianV.

keep an eye out on the meeting trips and get along and paddle with some of the lads and lassies up your neck of the wood s and im sure that you will feel part of this family with a few minutes

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    keep an eye out on the meeting trips and get along and paddle with some of the lads and lassies up your neck of the wood s and im sure that you will feel part of this family with a few minutes
    its not about what you paddle itsa the fact that you want to be on the water....

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    being a york man your not far away from donny or leeds and theres plenty of paddlers in and around ..have a look at the members map.
    There's a members map?

Oh that button up there oops
    Last edited by Gunwitch; 8th-January-2009 at 11:01 PM. Reason: I'm a spanner

Quote Originally Posted by Gunwitch View Post
    There's a members map?

Oh that button up there oops
    its like a sea full of little peas around about yorkshire..

Aye so i can see - now
    Added my blip

Cheers Warthog
    Last edited by Gunwitch; 8th-January-2009 at 11:33 PM.

Talking Welcome

Hiya BrianV, I hope you know and realise that all the ribaldry regarding Kayak's ( see even I can say it)is all just a bit of fun and anyone and everyone no matter what you paddle is always welcome, as long as its GREENHere's wishing you all the best in finding a group from this site that you will feel comfortable with and I'm sure you will be made to feel welcome even in a KK ( Dar'nt over do it, said once today) sure you will understand, in the meantime Welcome and Happy PaddlingBill

Hey Brian. I got no problem with yakkers - paddling is paddling. Wouldn't use one myself, just coz they don't have room for my gear for an extended trip, and, obviously, couldn't do all the ports. in the backcountry.
    I do remember seeing lots of 'em on the Don when I was over there some years ago, so I don't think you'll lack for company...

p.s. green canoes??? canoes are RED!!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianV View Post
    Sorry but I've been a kayak paddler for about 20 years now and I don't think I can be saved.

BrianV.
    I had 40 years sat in a sea kayak before trying a canoe.
    So there is hope for you yet.

Cheers
    Steve

Wink Anything you can do we can do better, We can do anything betr thn u!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianV View Post
    I love the 3d aspect to kayaks, the fact that I can get them on their side in a wave, go upside down at times, surf, etc.
    Some of us do that in Open Boats as well - upside down is the easy bit...

Now, I am trying to learn how to get it back up again!

Welcome aboard, a lot of us paddle kk's as well - mind you I can get a bigger picnic in an open and as for not having to have the collie sat on my lap anymore...

Looking forward to seeing you on the river someplace, Paul

Welcome Brian, still not banned but there is still time
    John

Quote Originally Posted by sk8r View Post
    p.s. green canoes??? canoes are RED!!
    Darn right! I actually would have been cool with green as well, but you don't get to pick the color of a used canoe...

At any rate, be it canoe, kayak, sit-on-top, it's all good! In the end it just comes down to what you need out of a boat, be it lots of room for a camping trip or a covered deck to help you roll.

I'd argue that "kayak--to--canoe" is a continuum of craft that have way more in common than not. My big yellow Prijon Excursion tandem was called a kayak, but had a lot in common with a decked canoe. I sure wasn't going to roll it!
    Matthew
    ~ ~ ~
    "the care of rivers is not a question of rivers, but of the human heart"
    Tanako Shozo

Default welcome

Hi Brianv, Another pleasent paddler, I think you would be welcome on this site if you only had a plank of wood, but you would need a paddle, well it is called the SOTP. again welcome. be safe. bigH.

Default Welcome

I whole heartedly agree. Kayaks are the best but canoes are good too. Doesn't matter what you paddle, as long as you paddle.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

Default Overwhelmed

Wow,

Never was so much nice stuff said to one so undeserving.

Thank everyone for the very friendly welcome.

Please see my 2nd ever New Thread in Trips section, my attempt, hopefully to get to meet some of you.

Thanks again.
    Brian.

Eton on the banks of the River Thames between Windsor and Slough

Welcome aboard - I'm a kayaker too, but enjoy being in an open boat. Between us, my family (of 4) own 9 kayaks and 2 canoes!
    Fran

Photobucket stole my sig

I love kayaking too (and until recently had three of the lovely things).

It took me a while to own up to my kayaking friends that I was about to build an old geezers type of boat

Uh - one of these things

Anyway - why can't we have a Kayaking icon too?

Steve C

Eton on the banks of the River Thames between Windsor and Slough

Quote Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
    I love kayaking too (and until recently had three of the lovely things).

It took me a while to own up to my kayaking friends that I was about to build an old geezers type of boat

Uh - one of these things

Anyway - why can't we have a Kayaking icon too?

Steve C

You mean like this one?

Fran

Photobucket stole my sig

Quote Originally Posted by Fran View Post
    You mean like this one?

Fran there is something wrong with the icons paddle????

I have myself paddled a kk self taught I must say they are quite awkward to paddle.

Cheers
    Tim
    Cheers
    Tim

Paddles a Prospector