Thread: New member saying "Hello"

Default New member saying "Hello"

Hello everyone.

I'm in London, but learnt to canoe in Hereford where I grew up (many yrs ago). I have little or no canoeing expertise, and am sure I've forgotten everything I once learnt, but that doesn't stop us from doing a 2 or 3 day trip along the Wye every year with friends, and having a whale of a time.

I've joined up here because me and Mrs me are planning to do a trip as far down the Wye as we can safely get this summer and I'm keen to pick up some tips, and to check our the reviews/for sale sections.

I figure that if we're planning on a longish trip - which will probably involve several "rest days" visiting friends and stopping off en route - then it might make economic sense to buy a second hand canoe rather than rent one for a couple of weeks.

That's about all I can think of to say, so Hello, and thanks for having me.

Welcome to Song of the Paddle. As long as you have enough experience to have "a whale of a time" then that is plenty
    John

Default Wecome and the River Wye

Hi Simon G,

Welcome to this wonderful group, I'm sure you'll find lots of help and advice.

There are some threads for R. Wye help, guidance and advice. My advice is, avoid Benhall Farm, a group I guided down the river camped there in 2008. They prebooked, confirmed by telephone a few days before arrival and when we arrived we were greeted with hostility, dirty toilets, hazardous chemical containers nearby and outrageously exorbitant camping charges.

Lucksall Campsite was cheaper and positively luxurious but 2 days before.

I have paddled the Wye several times from as high as Hollybush Inn down to Bigsweir and enjoyed every trip on the river. Not done the tidal stretch because I don't fancy wading through mud.

All the best with your paddling and expeditions,

Dougoutcanoe.

Default Welcome

Good to have you along for the trip.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

Hello and welcome, Simon.

Richard.
    You don't stop playing because you are old, you get old because you stop playing.

Powell River, British Columbia (home of the Powell River canoe route)

A warm 'long distance' welcome. There are lots of good people with loads of experience you can draw on here.
    Good luck with your trip down the lovely Wye.
    Best regards,
    Jim.

Default Welcome

Hi Simon and a warm welcome to the forum, now as to economics of renting or purchase of a canoe, forgive me but it would seem as some sort of a ploy to convince the good lady that it make good economic sense to purchase a canoe as opposed to renting one, after all, its a little like do we buy a house or rent one now we all know that buying is better as its there to enjoy for all time and no matter what you add to it, ie, paddles, camping equipment, and a host of gear, and you can enjoy the odd weekend out or the odd day, that way you make the most of your investment, perhaps the renting or buying a house was a not a good a analogy, but im sure you know where I'm coming from, and if the good lady likes canoeing Well Utopia, go for it mate.
    Best Regards and Happy PaddlingBill

PS, Make sure the canoe is green though!!.

Quote Originally Posted by CanalVoyaguer View Post
    now as to economics of renting or purchase of a canoe, forgive me but it would seem as some sort of a ploy to convince the good lady that it make good economic sense to purchase a canoe as opposed to renting one,
    Oh NO!! I've been rumbled . (I've never been that good at hiding my motives. No future in politics for me.)

Thanks for all your warm welcomes.

I've tried to find some threads re the Wye, but couldn't get past the search function (it doesn't seem to like "Wye" as a search term. Tells me it's too common/too short a word to search on). I'm sure I'm just being inept, but if anyone could help me to a relevant thread I'd be very grateful.

Thanks again.

Thumbs up River Wye

Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    Oh NO!! I've been rumbled . (I've never been that good at hiding my motives. No future in politics for me.)

Thanks for all your warm welcomes.

I've tried to find some threads re the Wye, but couldn't get past the search function (it doesn't seem to like "Wye" as a search term. Tells me it's too common/too short a word to search on). I'm sure I'm just being inept, but if anyone could help me to a relevant thread I'd be very grateful.

Thanks again.
    Hi again, try Blogg's then type in River Wye Trips, just done it and there are some trips of interest.
    Regards Bill

Welcome to the crew

Sean
    Sean
    AKA Jammy
    [/U][/SIZE][/COLOR][/I][/COLOR][/FONT]

You can only search on word over 4 letters as otherwise the search database gets to big but words in quotes count as a phrase so "river wye" can be searched on.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post
    You can only search on word over 4 letters as otherwise the search database gets to big but words in quotes count as a phrase so "river wye" can be searched on.
    Thanks a lot. I've finally managed to do a successful search. (Hope I end up better at canoeing than at using a computer )

Thumbs up River Wye

Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    Thanks a lot. I've finally managed to do a successful search. (Hope I end up better at canoeing than at using a computer )
    Try this
    http://www.igreens.org.uk/canoeing_the_wye.htm

Regards Bill

Thank you so much for that wonderful link. What an excellent guide to the Wye, with so many phone numbers for campsites, etc.

I know the stretch from Glasbury to Hereford quite well, and have some little knowledge of the Ross to Monmouth stretch, but that site will fill in all the gaps.

I'll have a better look when I get home, and can put my OS map alongside the website to get a better idea of things.

Can't wait for the summer to come............

Yes, useful site but a shame about the propoganda.

Didn't the fella that runs this site used be a member of SOTP.

Mike
    To every opinion there is always an equal and opposite opinion.
    (Newtons fourth law)