Thread: Hello from Leicester

Default Hello from Leicester

Hello,
    Just had an hour lesson with my 9 year old daughter at Rutland Water in an open Canadian. Both really enjoyed it. Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but where can we gain more experience in Leicster area. Don't want to rush out and buy a canoe but would consider this in the long term.
    How much tuition do you need? At the moment we just fancy paddling up down river/canal. As we get more experienced may be introduce camping.

I would suggest finding somewhere local that hires canoes and see if any forum members mind meeting up with you. Its a great (and cheap) way of learning plus you get to meet with like minded people. I'm sure their are members local to you. If you fancy a trek upto Yorkshire there are facilities and members available up here. All the best and make use of this forum there is a wealth of information to be found on here.

Lee.
    Leone_blanco

Canoe hire is a great idea. I've been getting into paddling that way over the summer with my kids. Gives you a chance to try different bits of water and get a feel for what you want out of the sport before parting with to much hard cash.

Plenty of advice on the site, don't be afraid to ask. Someone, or a dozen, are bound to be able to help.

Beware though canoeing can get seriously adictive.

Aslan

Welcome Jon

As others have said hiring is probably the cheapest way to get e feel for canoeing. As to how much tuition is needed, well it depends on what you are going to be doing. For canals you should be pretty much okay as you are, provided you have PFDs on. For rivers you definitely want more tuition either informal or formally.

Welcome again.
    John

Which part of Leicestershire? If near south can I suggest Hinckley water activities training centre www.hwatc.co.uk or the more commercial Bosworth Water trust www.bosworthwatertrust.co.uk or if in City itself look at www.lopc.co.uk
    Leicester Outdoor Pursuit Centre (LOPC)
    Loughborough Road
    Leicester LE4 5PN
    Tel/Fax 0116 268 1426
    info@lopc.co.uk

I'm just into Warwickshire, Nuneaton, with two boats and kayaks also (both sides of the force/duct tape if you like to read members footnotes!) so if I can be of any help let me know.

Talking Leicester area

Hi

I'm a member of Packers which is a club in Peterborough. Its a club full of coaches and friendly too. We paddle every Thursday from 7 - 9 until September. Hope this helps all depends on which side of Leicester your from I suppose.

Cheers Chris
    There is nothing—
    absolute nothing—half so much worth
    doing as simply messing about in boats.

Thanks for the replies. very helpful. LAS247, I have many relatives in Huddersfield . also drink more red wine than is good for me so I may well come up to Yorkshire for a paddle one day. Checked out the Leicester Websites thanks. most useful.
    Also we quite often take our caravan to Ferry Meadows (Peterborough) so paddling there is a real option
    Thanks again
    JOn

Look forward to you coming up John, just give me a little notice as I work shifts at the moment.
    Leone_blanco