Thread: Hello from Edinburgh

Smile Hello from Edinburgh

Hi

My name is Helen and my husband and I have had our canoe for just over a year now. We bought a Mad river explorer 15. We have enjoyed our days and nights out. I am still very much a learner but it's true what they say about tandem being a divorce boat and we are going or separate ways. Well what I mean is we are buying another canoe. I have been thinking about The old Town Pack as this is the only boat I could put on the car by my self as I have problems with the old back. I know tracking will be more difficult but if anyone has any advice or suggestions it would be appreciated.

Cheers

Helen

Welcome Helen

The Pack is a great canoe and loading it on the car or carrying it to the water is almost a joy. For flatwater and shortish trips it is great. Where it may be less suitable is on higher grade rivers and long multi day trips (storage space)
    John

hi and welcome from another learner in edinburgh

The Pack is light.

It has no other positive attributes.

There are better alternative, but may be hard to find, eg Dagger Sojourn.
    Do you have a high car? Change it.
    What about rollers for loading?
    What about KariTec loading system?
    Use the neighbours to help load? (I do this when The Banker is not about, but it only helps at home. Will you be paddling alone? If not someone will be there to help you at the river/loch)

Tandem = divorce boat? No way, it's what keeps us together. We love to tandem, though we do paddle solo most of the time on WW.

TB
    If it wasn't for the rain in our lives there would be no rivers. X 2

Default Old town pack

Helen - Magikelly is right its a very, very portable canoe, easy to car top on your own, but as you will find on many online reviews its short and turns on a sixpence, but as you say, not the easiest canoe to keep in a straight line although it's ok in a little bit of flow. Many owners found it best paddled with a double blade. Purists may not like it but I found it very effective in that I was not fighting the canoe with excessive J strokes all the time. I recently sold my Pack because I upgraded to a Bob Special but I still have a wood Bending Branches extra-long 2.8mtr split paddle I bought from Gatz in Germany. You need the extra centimetres to keep water out of the canoe. A shorter paddle even with drip rings gets you wet. If you are interested in the paddle I am sure we could come to a reasonable agreement.

Default Welcome

Good to have you along for the trip.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

A very warm welcome Patch and hubby from the west side of Scotland.....Raymond.

I can see water from my loft, Edinburgh, Scotland.

Hi All,

Patch is currently sitting with her feet up feeling a bit stiff and bruised after being knocked down by a car while cycling home from work this afternoon. She's going to be fine, it's just a few bruises and grazes and I'm sure the bottle of wine I've just bought will help.

The worst bit is the driver stopped to ask if she was OK, Helen said "Not really" while she was on the ground. The driver then got in her car and drove away. Luckily there were a lot of other good people who stopped to help.
    It's things like that, that make me mad.

Cheers,
    Mark

Did any of them get the car number? As I understand it (which may not be much), it's an offence to leave the scene of an accident that involves a person (or a horse or a dog) without the police being informed. For one thing the driver could have been drinking

Of course I may just have made that up so hopefully some of the members can advise more usefully. It's a subject close to my heart having been knocked down in Edinburgh by a sausage lorry (what a way to go!)

Hope Patch (and bike) are both fine

Cheers

ian

I can see water from my loft, Edinburgh, Scotland.

There were a few witnesses, one even got off a bus handed Helen his details and got back on the bus. The car registration was noted, apparently the car has just changed ownership and the DVLA details are not quite up to date. Eventually there were 2 police cars and an ambulance in attendance.

Cheers,
    Mark

Hi Helen

Glad your goin' solo - it's the only way to trip, for me , at least. I'm only chipping-in here coz I am a woman "of a certain age", as they say, and I have been tripping the backcountry of North America, on my own, for, let's just say, a few decades now. I paddle a 13.5' ABS boat which I think might be a Pelican, but its origins were obscure when i bought it, and there is no identification on it, inside or out. The specs. are very close to a Coleman Vantage, or a Pelican Navigator,I think, but I know it's not a Coleman coz they have id #s on them. Anyway, it weighs just over 50 lbs., and I have never had any problem car-toppng it, or carrying it over portages. I do use a wheeled cart where I can, if the going isn't too rough. But, when I have to, I carry it, no problem.

Bottom line - it's a great solo boat - it's stable, (secondary more than primary) tracks well, I've had it thru Class II's many times, and it never let me down. If you can find either a Vantage or a Navigator over there, maybe try one out - I think you'll like it, and you don't need a man to have fun with it!!

Helen
    Im not familiar with the Old Town pak - but if light is the only attribute - I would reconsider.

My canoe is 48 lbs and I drive a Yukon - its a monster truck (!) and initially I wondered how I would get the stupid boat on it.

Anyway, I load it myself..I carry the canoe overhead and then lower one end to the ground and position the other end at a 45 degree angle against the top of the truck..once its there I just slide it up - no rollers needed - nothing fancy. Works everytime.

Yes, i dropped it once last summer unloading (I was tired..) but that happens. No big deal since I was in my driveway.

For me, the bigger question is what are you looking for on the water.

Speaking for myself, I want a boat that will take me through the worst weather - and get me safely home. I dont want a boat that has me wondering the whole time I am in it if I am going to fall out of it.

So I bought the NovaCraft pal for its stablility -its shallow arched hull makes it almost bullet proof - the low profile of the hull means it doenst take me sailing around the lake in high winds.

Its wide beam is big enough for the hounds and me -its not the fastest or the lightest of canoes - but its a good all round canoe.

NOt sure if any of this helps. Good luck with your purchase.

WR

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the help, I will look into the canoes you've mentioned. I will mainly be using it on flat water (lochs) and as confidence grows who knows. Weight is an issue for me but so is the wind having been at it's mercy before and ended up in going in the wrong direction.
    Going to put my feet up this week end as I still feel sorry for myself after my meeting with the car yesterday, unfortunately my bike needs a new back wheel and I need to replace my jacket and helmet, which will have to come out my canoe fund.

Helen

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    I need to replace my jacket and helmet, which will have to come out my canoe fund.
    If you've got the car's number, you should be able to claim against their insurance at the very least!

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    unfortunately my bike needs a new back wheel and I need to replace my jacket and helmet, which will have to come out my canoe fund.
    The main thing is that you are okay. The wheel, jacket and helmet can be replaced. I hope you are feeling better soon and the driver found to explain their actions.
    John