Thread: Another one from Devon

Default Another one from Devon

Hello all ,

My name is Tim, I am (only) 40 and have been paddling since 2005.

I live in South Devon (Plymouth area) but am currently working in Bath during the week, and some weekends as well .

I have been fortunate enough to persuade the army to send me on trips/courses to Scotland, Wales, Bavaria and Canada, however I am now coming to the end of my time with them.

Although I am currently a member of the Canoe Camping Club and Port of Plymouth Canoe Association I have been totally rubbish at being able to line up my free time with their events. My leaving the army co-incides with the end of a seven-year distance learning course, therefore I now have absolutely no excuse not to get out in the boat (Old Town Camper 16-love it) more!

I have a twelve-year-old daughter who often paddles with me (flat water only), sometimes up front and sometimes in her inflatable k***k, the dog comes along as ballast. The wife does not enjoy boats or camping etc so paddling is strictly 'me time'.

I have found Devon tricky to paddle simply because everything is tidal (no access probs there though), but have now built up a reasonable list of routes and there still a few recommended ones that I've not done yet.

I am definitely up for more social paddling if anyone is down this way (got a new cag for xmas - need to test it).

Longer introduction than most, never mind

Safe paddling,

Tim H

Welcome Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Tim H View Post
    The wife does not enjoy boats or camping etc so paddling is strictly 'me time'.
    Sounds familiar
    John

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong

Quote Originally Posted by Tim H View Post
    I have found Devon tricky to paddle simply because everything is tidal (no access probs there though), but have now built up a reasonable list of routes and there still a few recommended ones that I've not done yet.

I am definitely up for more social paddling if anyone is down this way (got a new cag for xmas - need to test it).
    Have the tidal Dart on that list - I've paddled there, hmm, once or twice now and it is the classic touring river. The tidal issue can be a restriction on paddling (like it is over this weekend), but the sea can make for good paddling - although you have a lot of open (unsheltered) water both up and down the coast from Plymouth, so you'd need to pick your day.

You may have noticed that deep SW paddlers seem to be pretty 'organic' (or spontaneous) in our approach to meets, but keep an eye out, I'm sure we'll pull something together into the spring. The Tamar has been mentioned, and it would be nice to do it one day.

Tim 40 is good as I am only 48 and a very warm welcome from north of the border...Raymond.

Plymouth, Plymouth, United Kingdom, 107666599263369, Plymouth

Default Hi Tim

I'm plymouth based as well feel free to give me a shout
    Cheers John
    JR

Default Welcome

Good to have you along for the trip.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.