Thread: Customised blade that might be good for canoeing

Default Customised blade that might be good for canoeing

well i used this blade

to customise into this blade

I thought that with a water proof handle it might make a good canoeing knife it being stainless steel and all.

What do you think?

On the edge of a large city by a large loch

Default not for me...

Personally I would prefer a combination blade that is part serrated as these cut rope far easier and quicker than a straight blade. That's what I'd prefer for canoeing anyway. On a river I also would have a fold up saw very handy and close just incase too...

Woodsmoke
    Expand your mind there's plenty space for it...

Default Knife

I would not use this as a rescue / emergency knife while paddling for the reasons stated above.

However the blank looks like a "bushcraft" type design, which is great for camp chores when canoe camping. Carbon steel custom knives not realy suited to long exposure to damp conditionsas found when canoe camping.

this is the main reason I have not invested in a good "bushcraft" knife and use a Falliverken F1

Would be interested to see a price for one of these with a stablisted wooden grip or micarta type handle. Is the spine square enough for use with a firesteel?

Andrew

It wasnt originaly but is now just for that task, i havent posted much here but i intend to do Canoe camping........ When i get the time!

I might use it then, it hasnt cost a lot. The blades are rather cheap but hold a fantastic edge. as i have a complete knife i made with the un-customised blade, i use it for everything including jobs i shouldnt use it for but its a tough lil bugger

Looks like it will work fine. It's just a knife right? A cave man that was used to cutting things with a sharp rock would be suitably impressed. I guess I am not too far removed from that thought process. A nice wooden handle soaked in oil would help things along too.
    Lloyd

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug...

As has been said fro camp chores etc it looks great. Not particularly suited as a rescue knife.

For canoe camping the requirements are pretty much the same as for normal camping / Bushcraft activities BUT 01 tool steel is not suitable. My Allan Blade Bushcrafer was always getting rust and I know James O'Connor was shocked at how a quick dip resulted in corrosion on his Paul Baker Bushman.

I now have an Allan Blade Bushcrafer made in stainless steel and I also have an F1 but the blade pictured above looks as if it would perform just as well.
    John

I am with you on your thinking whyayeman, but the archaeological record shows that a ''cave mans'' flint tools started quite fat and not very sharp. over time he (she) modified it to be thinner and sharper. So i guess i am being cave man like and trying to improve it the best i can!

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

For all their stone age technology - there are quite a few references to obsidian blades currently being used in heart surgery, owing to the structure being able to take such a fine edge.

It's probably a bit brittle for everyday canoe use tho ...
    Last edited by monkey_pork; 18th-August-2006 at 08:24 AM. Reason: too early in the moring to be able to spel proply !

Reckon that'd make an excellent camp knife Shinken, what handle material are you planning?

Talking about knives from the past, heres one I received as a present from the States a while back

That looks cool! i was thinking maybe something waterproof. but i am tempted by the knice piece of deseet ironwood i have

I am not that familliar with iron wood but any time I want a knife handle to go near water I let the wood soak in oil over night after it is finished.
    Lloyd

Nice work; I don't get the chance to make knives much any more. I like the Ironwood.
    Lloyd

impressive work.I'm toying with the idea of making my own,so BB is getting a good looking over at the moment.

Class!!

Nice result! Now what about the sheath?

might make a neck sheath, not sure yet