Thread: Where would you go? 4 / 5 day circular trip

Default Where would you go? 4 / 5 day circular trip

Your suggestions please!

Basically I have quit my job and taken a week off before I start the new one (first full week in September is the week I am off). Mrs Nickbr is unable to join me so I am thinking of loading up the car and driving off to somewhere in the UK to do maybe a 4 / 5 day solo trip. I live in the Thames Valley and am open to any suggestions, but would need the trip to be a circular route so I can get back to the car.

My paddling is ok but not great and I haven't tried a self rescue in ooohh 15 years, so perhaps no deep / tidal / exposed water. I was thinking of perhaps heading up to see my Celtic brothers in Scotland or heading to my home country of Wales or possibly the lake district, but am open to all thougts an suggestions. I could do the Thames, the Meday or the Kennet and Avon but I hanker after something a bit more wild. I have a few ideas, but would really appreciate any input from other sotpers.

Oh, and if anyone wants to link up for a day / the trip I would be humbly grateful of the chance to meet up with some of you.

As always, thanks for your time paddlers

Loch Lomond takes a bit of beating

Or Loch Awe.

Or Trossachs- lots of (non-interconnected) lochs there.

You have time to get the SCA Scottish Touring Guide - full of ideas.

That was my first though, but I was a bit concerned that it might be a bit much for me on my own. I suppose I could paddle in my scube gear... Do you think I may be over extending myself to try that? I know thats a tricky one to answer having never seen me paddle, but I would class my self as a 'progressing novice'. Boat is a Charles River with no spray deck with floatation in the ends. I suppose I could stick close to shore. I trust access and camping is possible at a number of spots? I'd rather not camp at a tourist site, and have enough kit to be self sufficient but am not sure what the access rights are on the Loch.

Thanks for the suggestion John, I'll get google-ing I guess.

SCA Book ordered, thanks for the top tip Doc, and thanks to Amazon for next day delivery . I'll take a look through this over the weekend and start to plan something which doubtless I'll post here for everyones perusal.

Hopefully Mrs Nickbr won't notice another title on the burgeoning pile of paddling books or I'll get a bit of finger waggling.

The book you have ordered is great. I'm sure that one or two of us can meet up with you if you head north of the border.

That'd be grand. I'll post a rough schedule once I get the book and an hour to sit down and decide where to head. Brilliant, I miss the mountains down here in the sand pit that is the south east.

Don't think you'd have much of a problem up here, specially if you keep close to the shore and like James said, there'd be no doubt one or two locals would meet-up with you, if I'm free you can count me in for one

Loch Lomond can get a bit windy etc but there is usually a few boats about. Keeping close to the shore in rough weather is the best bet and if it is really rough a day taking int he scenery from your camp is not a bad thing, in fact it is worth planning such a day anyway.

As others have said you would probably get a few of us joining you for a day or an evening. Five days would give you loads of time to really explore the southern end of the Loch or about enough time to do a circuit of the Loch.

As for access, well once you cross the border the world is your oyster. Effectively if it is wet you can paddle it and if it is dry you can wild camp on it. Sensible exceptions apply but you are unlikely to try and camp or paddle these.
    John

Ahh, the joy of 'working' from home. The postman just arrived with the SCA book so I am going to have a nose through. It now looks pretty certain that I will be heading up to Loch Lomond, probably on Friday the 1st Sept or possibly the Thursday night before. Plan is to pladdle about a bit and head home Wednesday. I expect I'll just explore and camp at random almost now that MagiKelly has pointed out that I can do just that, so all I need really is a good put in with parking thats safe. I drive an old tank that no-ones going to want to nick, but you never know. I was kayak surfing in the Gower years ago and some sod broke into my car and stole my dry clothes. Had to drive 50 miles home in my wetsuit with a cracked nose and a dislocated shoulder. Not a good day but probably character building.

Anyhow, I'll take a look in the book but if anyone has any thoughts on a put in that would be a good base for 4 days out as far away from the tourists as possible with good parking I'd as alway appreciate it. Plus I'll buy you a beer if you meet me, or at least offer you one from the stock. Maybe I'll take whisky instead... Hmm, whisky

Thanks all for your splendid advice, I really really appreciate it.

Magikelly is the man to ask, but at the Inchcailloch meet we left the cars in the main car park in Balmaha without problem.

Just north of Balmaha is a national park car park and beach mainly used by the jetskiers. I don't know if you can leave vehicles overnight or not, but there are often national park staff around.

Thanks Doc. I've taken a look at the places section of the site and pretty much decided that I will probably put it at Balmaha and trust the car will be ok. Might try to bribe someone to keep an eye on it. It looks like as long as you are quiet and respectful you can camp on most of the islands even if they are private, though the SCA book says camping can be tricky. Not sure what this means but I am confident I will be able to find sites. As always, thanks for your input

The Balmaha car park should be okay. I would park near the entrance so your car is more visible.

As to camping on the islands the only real problem can be finding space for a tent. Hammock or Bivi and tarp will be fine. A small tent will be okay to but a large tent might be hard to find a pitch for.
    John

I'd be wary of the car park out by Rowardennan for long term car dumping. It's been a bit of a haunt of mine over the years, being a nice evenings ride from Glasgow.
    I've come across wee piles of glass on occasion speaking of put-in windows.

Balmaha's a good un though, as has already been said.
    Picture yourself in a boat on a river,

Cool, thanks again all. I've just picked up some midge repellant so it looks like I am commited. Plan is currently:

Arrive Friday evening and either set off and set up or just set up by the car

Saturday - Wedesday generally bimble around, probably head north for the weekend and camp on the eadt shore, and then filter slowly southwards, perhaps spend the last night on an island.

So, is anyone likely to be around for the weekend of the 2nd / 3rd September who fancies meeting up, or perhaps in the early in the week? Or does anyone have any other suggestions? It looks like there might be two of us instead of me on my lonesome, but I'm not sure yet - either way I will be there. MagiKelly, I am taking you at your word that I can pitch up anywhere as long as I am sensible tidy and quiet, so if I get arrested I will be calling you to bail me out!

Once again thanks to all of you for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by nickbr View Post
    MagiKelly, I am taking you at your word that I can pitch up anywhere as long as I am sensible tidy and quiet, so if I get arrested I will be calling you to bail me out!
    I would pay the bail as well
    John

Speaking of bail, bailing and the like, what do you think of spray decks?

Cheers!

Cheers!
    I have no experience of them so can't say. Probably best to ask on a separate thread to save confusing this one.
    John

Gotcha, humble apologies. Thanks again for the advice

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post
    I have no experience of them so can't say. Probably best to ask on a separate thread to save confusing this one.
    That sounded a bit more abrupt than I meant. I was just leaving the office and wanted to post before I shut the computer down. I was trying to be helpful rather than slap your wrists, just in case you thought I was
    John

Not at all John, I'm pretty thick. Skinned.

So what are the chances of anyone making it along to the Loch over the first weekend in September? If anyone wnats to come up say hi and raid my whisky store let me know and I will PM you my mobile.

Pretty sure I'm not available on the Sunday and there is some doubt over the Saturday But PM me your number. I might be able to meet up for a few hours one evening and I might be able to make the Saturday.
    John

Cheers!
    Have a look at this link http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...ght=spray+deck

Must admit this is a bit above what I could turn out, but what a result.
    Leone_blanco