Thread: Hi from sunny Yorkshire

Default Hi from sunny Yorkshire

Hi everyone, just saying hello as I`ve just joined up.

A few of you might know me from BCUK but for everyone else, "Hello"

My name`s Rich, I`m 33 years old and I live in Leeds with my darling wife Carol. I work in IT and she`s a teacher so you can guess who wears the trousers in our house.
    I`ve always messed about in the outdoors since I can remember and have been following my love of bushcraft and wild camping for about the last 10 years. Recently I`ve been getting interested in taking it to the water which brings me over here. I`ve always known about this place but never thought I`d have anything to offer or learn from it until now. My experience in canoes is very limited, from PGL holidays as a kid in Wales, school trips to France, the odd day on a boating lake near me many moons ago and a day on the Columbia River in Canada a few years ago. I had the hangover from hell that day though and didn`t take a lot in from the instructor, I just wanted to go home and get back into bed.
    Next year I have plans to maybe get myself a wee canoe and plan some trips up to my favourite stomping grounds on the west coast of Scotland.

So I`ll have lots of questions no doubt for you all and I promise to use the search facility before asking too many numpty questions.

Ooh new smilies to play with
    Rich

Welcome aboard Rich....Bushcraft Wild Camping and now Canoeing, all good things come in threes....maybe see you up in the West Coast some time.

Thumbs up Welcome

Hi and a warm welcome to the forum Rich, from a BCUK member, you are obviously aware how the forum operates and as you know can be most beneficial if used as its meant to be, in the meantime Welcome and hopefully soon Happy paddlingBill

Welcome

I'm a newbie on BCUK but have been around on SOTP for a while so have done this the other way round to you. I have bumped into you on that BCUK though.

DanDan

aha people I know!! same as Shewie for me! I have just set up my own intro thread!
    looking forward to settling in!
    Will

Hi Rich

Welcome to SotP it is a great resource for finding out info, as for questions if you don't ask you don't find out

Cheers Graeme
    SWWC the way forward

Coaching for skills and performance

Shewie..get out from under the tree and come up to Scotland...a very warm welcome..Raymond.

Hi Rich welcome to the site....its about time you got over here aswell
    Its time for a paddle soon

Greg

Thanks for the welcome guys

I`ve got my eye on an inflatable as a starter craft so please go gentle with me.

Greg

Do you mind having an inflatable tagging along next time you`re on the canal ?
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Shewie View Post
    Thanks for the welcome guys

I`ve got my eye on an inflatable as a starter craft so please go gentle with me.

Greg

Do you mind having an inflatable tagging along next time you`re on the canal ?
    Not at all mate there is no snobbery on our paddles ....or on here to be honest a canoe is a canoe, inflatable,grp,kevlar, royalex, wood strip or whatever all are welcome

Did you get in touch with Stu the other day ?

Greg

As fellow yorkshire folk/paddlers/wild campers/I'm a teacher, he's in IT (nearly)...welcome to the forums!

Not been here long myself, but I've never met a more friendly bunch of folk. Maybe see you out on the water some time

(...and aren't the smilies just great? I have to really restrain myself to no more than 3 per post...or maybe 4, if it's a long blogg...but then again...)

Quote Originally Posted by firebreather View Post
    Not at all mate there is no snobbery on our paddles ....or on here to be honest a canoe is a canoe, inflatable,grp,kevlar, royalex, wood strip or whatever all are welcome

Did you get in touch with Stu the other day ?

Greg

No not yet Greg, I did have a bit of email tennis with him though. I`ve been looking at the Sevylor inflatables so hopefully I can get one sorted soon and I won`t have to trouble Stu.
    Rich

Welcome.

No need to tell us occupations for us to know who is the boss in the house. It is always the woman no matter what the man thinks
    John

Default Welcome

Good to have you along for the trip.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

Hello and welcome,

I think that you'll find canoes or kayaks made by Sevy' will be a good choice and provide you both with a great deal of pleasure and really enhance your outdoor experience.

Inflatables are great, hope to see you post your experiences and photo's.

Regards,

Right that`s it all sorted, got me paddles and PFD from Graeme ( i think ) at Donny today so I`m good to go. Just need to get this silly christmas thing out of the way and get back to normality so I can get some weekends away booked with the long haired general.

Thanks for the help and advice this morning Graeme
    Last edited by Shewie; 23rd-December-2008 at 12:58 PM.
    Rich

Look forward to seeing the maiden voyage blogg! Boxing day, saturday and sunday all look good days for a paddle... You'll soon find yourself addicted to weather websites as well!

Cheers,

Alan
    Cheers,

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Shewie View Post
    Right that`s it all sorted, got me paddles and PFD from Graeme ( i think ) at Donny today so I`m good to go. Just need to get this silly christmas thing out of the way and get back to normality so I can get some weekends away booked with the long haired general.

Thanks for the help and advice this morning Graeme
    Hi Rich

No problem it was nice meeting you, look forward to seeing you on the water soon.

Cheers Graeme
    SWWC the way forward

Coaching for skills and performance

Eyup Fella
    You should remember me from BCUK but this's where I started from.
    So glad to see you've taken the plunge and got yourself a boat.
    We're deffo going to have to get together now you've got a boat but be warned it's just the start,tonight I'm buying number 5 which will also be the ninth I've had since finding my way here.
    Cheers for now and Merry xmas Mike...
    You only have the one life so live it