Thread: Hi folks

Default Hi folks

Hi folks. A few of you might know me from BCUK but I thought this was the best new place for me to lurk as my partner and I have just treated ourselves to a OT Discovery 169. We know next to bog-all about canoeing, but we love the idea of tootling off down-river for a day or three without having to actually carry our gear *LOL* Brace yourselves for a host of newbie questions and don't be afraid to tell me to stop being daft when I am. (A regular occurence I'm afraid)
    "If it's not sharp it's just a piece of metal."

Hi there glad to have you aboard. Welcome to SOTP. Don't worry about the newbie questions - I'm still asking them .
    Matto

Ours was the marsh country, down by the river, within, as the river wound, twenty miles of the sea.

Quote Originally Posted by Longstrider View Post
    We know next to bog-all about canoeing, but we love the idea of tootling off down-river for a day or three without having to actually carry our gear *LOL*
    Sounds like you know all the important bits already. Have fun and enjoy yourself.

I would always make sure you have a PFD on but after that it is as serious as you want it to be. Many of us only really paddle flat water exploring and camping. Some go for serious whitewater with canoes rigged to suit. Chances are you will start of as the former and start to want to try the latter. It is the way I am going anyway
    John

Thanks guys. Having a non-swimming partner we made sure that we both had PFD's before we even bought the canoe. I used to work as a qualified lifeguard so am all too well aware of the risks involved in "messing about on the river". ("There's a whirlpool and a weir that you mustn't go near...." *LOL*)

We're both looking forward to getting time and opportunity to launch and christen our new toy.

Question Hi Longstrider

Hi

Are you the same guy who was carving an ash bow with your knife at the moot?
    There is nothing—
    absolute nothing—half so much worth
    doing as simply messing about in boats.

Suggest you go through the first few sections under Hints/Tips on the main section. These cover starting out, kit and basic strokes etc. very well. Also BCU membership is important for 3rd party liability cover and access rights to British Waterways waters. Boat insurance is important to so check out NW Brown link from BCU site, there may be others but this one is easy to deal with.
    Remember that legally you cannot paddle any where you want as access is restricted on most rivers. Again check out the info on BCU site or http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/rivers.htm for info. Good idea is to look at local club, a site like this, or national group like open canoe association www.opencanoe.org or canoe camping club www.canoecampingclub.co.uk who both organise structured regional activities and welcome new members.
    After you have made sure you are safe and the access is 'kosher' then ... happy paddling!

Quote Originally Posted by climb_paddle_play View Post
    Are you the same guy who was carving an ash bow with your knife at the moot?
    Guilty as charged I'm afraid. The bow actually looks and works fine too! I think I'll need a bigger plank for my first paddle though....

Hi Folks
    Just to introduce myself, I am the non-swimming partner Longstrider refferred to .Just to add to what he was saying, this is a great source of info for newbies. We both have much to learn about canadian canoeing, so there will be at least two of us asking weird newbie questions !!

At least you won't be offended by the wierd answers then
    Leone_blanco

have you guys got the same name on bcuk?
    ive just joined it a dn wondererd if there was much crossover as they seem as looney as us
    andy m
    nature is m X-box

Thats us. Regular attendees of Loonies Anonamous.

We've hired a canoe a few times this year and simply love being on the water. Buying our canoe was inevitable, especially when we realised that it meant we could escape into the nowheres for a bushy type overnighter or 3 without actually having to carry our gear on our backs

There seems to be quite a healthy amount of crossover between here and BCUK.