Thread: Level 3 Assessment

Default Level 3 Assessment

Anyone know of any providers offing Level 3 assessment in October / November.

I am willing to travel, prefer Wales, Lakes or Scotland

Thanks

Andrew

Default Level 3 Assessment

Hi,

Contact Ray Goodwin as i have already passed a few folks his way and they are currently putting dates/group together. I am just to busy to take on any extra at present.
    mailto:ray"AT"raygoodwin.com

Paul Booker.
    Last edited by MagiKelly; 16th-August-2006 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Make email spam safe

Default Drummond Outdoor

Assessment for Level 3 open canoe is available at Drummond Outdoor 21/22 October. They are based at Shrewsbury, but the second day is likely to be paddling in Wales somewhere.
    http://www.docanoe.com/download/Drum...%20courses.pdf
    I assume that the course dates at the obvious places like Plas y Brenin, Canolfan Tryweryn, Glenmore Lodge, and Dallam are not convenient for you? No doubt you could always get an individual 'bespoke course' at one of these top-rated institutions at a price! Depending on your travel costs, that might actually work out to be more cost-effective.
    The best advice is usually to do the Assessment at exactly the same place you did the Level Three Training course!
    Views on what is the 'right thing' to do in canoeing vary so subjectively. What seems sane and logical to one coach seems totally crazy to another! A classic illustration is Claire Knifton's 'swim tails' - see the SotP link
    http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/outfitting.html
    on outfitting a boat by someone who is obviously one of the top coaches in the UK. The idea of having two dangling bits of rope outside the boat, suggested at two metres (!), ready to entangle and entrap on rocks or strainers, seems bizarre in the extreme to the 'clean boat' coaching brigade. Her view is that it is better for a swimmer to be hanging on to that rope than your gunwale, because they might capsize you. I don't know whether anyone has done the scientific test yet to prove or disprove her theory - but hanging on to a small length of rope in freezing whitewater while bouncing down a serious rapid strikes me as fairly difficult anyway! At least hanging on to both gunwales at the bow of your rescuer's boat, with your legs up, is both possible and keeps the swimmer clear of entrapment with their feet. And if the swimmer threatens to climb aboard over a gunwale when you don't want them to? Well, warn them that you will hit them over the head with a paddle! That is called 'effective coaching'....
    Last edited by Bembe; 16th-August-2006 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Adding link

Default Thanks for the tips

Paul, will contact Ray, bought my first boat from him and worked with him up to 3* and Level II, could be a tought assessment !!

Bembe, thanks for the link, I live on the wirral so shrewsbury not to bad for me, if they are assessing in wales it will me the Trywern of JJ's on the Dee know doubt.

I have expereinced your obsevations of differint opinion of coaches, and I can't work out the "swim tail" thing either, I have allways held on to the boat or gone for my swim line. Possible benefit if you have a swimmer in calm water to hold on line to rather than pull down on gunwale?

I have allways attached a 18m throw line to my stern loop to double as a swim line, for self rescue I swim with the clean line end, get to a suitable possition and pull rope to get load on the line and recover boat, been taught this and practiced extensively. A few weeks a go a Level 5 coach told us to swim with the bag, then you only pay out what rope you need, I was horrified at the thought of an unclean rope trailing behind a swapped tradboat in moving water!! Imaging the entrapment possibility of an empty throw bog on the end of a rope?

Again horses for courses

Andy

Andy,
    The very best of luck wherever the assessment is.
    IMHO Ray Goodwin is 'Mr OC', and the very best coach of them all. But I can see you might want a bit of cross-fertilisation anyway, if you are already well-acquainted.
    On the likely location for a Drummond Level Three course, as well as the possibilities you mention, it could also be the Upper Severn from Montgomery, as I know Roger Drummond likes that stretch. However, remember it is a coaching course and not all about personal performance, so the level of water does not have to be hugely demanding right throughout the assessment. More important for someone like you to have a thorough knowledge of the new Coaching Handbook.
    I threw in the bit about differing views on 'swim tails' because I believe we know who you did your 5 Star training with, from an earlier post. I repeat, Claire Knifton has got to be one of the top coaches in the UK, and wrote some excellent material in the BCU Canoe and Kayak Handbook, but there are plenty of people who consider she is 'out to lunch' on this issue (to quote Bill Mason on Cliff Jacobson). The warning was a friendly point if you take your assessment elsewhere than at your L3 training location, and certainly with the Drummonds, because the last time I saw Jaimie Drummond a few weeks ago, he was paddling up Jackfield Rapids (Grade 2 on the River Severn) without a rope on the boat. Yes, I do mean 'up', or to use the technical expression 'attaining' - Paul Mason wryly says about attaining in 'Thrill of the Paddle' that 'our forebears called it exploring'! Maybe it was because Jaimie can paddle anything, and as a busy coach 'another day another boat off the rack', so that canoe simply did not have painters on, but I would certainly put him and his family in the 'clean boat' camp. Jaimie certainly does not have anything against ropes on the boat, as I have seen him on other occasions teach some superior skills with painters, bridles for tracking, swim lines, and even a rope anchor on a tree at Jackfield. But to have 2 metres of rope dangling in the water at either end of the boat as 'swim tails' ... I don't think so!
    But as you say 'horses for courses'....
    [Swimming to the bank WITH the throw bag??? Now that I would respectfully suggest is guaranteed to make you fail an assessment for practically any BCU coaching course in most parts of the UK, as a breach of the cardinal principle of 'clean line'; and perhaps even to be retired prematurely from a Whitewater Safety and Rescue course! What is the theory there, I wonder? Extra buoyancy from the ensolite in the bag?]
    Last edited by Bembe; 16th-August-2006 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Punctuation