Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sails for Sale!

Default Sails for Sale!

Hi Folks!

Due to being stuck indoors for a few days with a stinking cold , I have three homemade canoe-pole sails available for sale or swap. These are perfect for downwind sailing, and can also be used across the wind with a leeboard. There are two in blue, and one in red, as pictured below:

and here, held up by a very bemused dry-stone waller, who was working in the lane beside our house this morning :

They're made from proper ripstop spinnaker nylon, in 65 g/m2 medium weight, and will fit any split 12' canoe pole with a button type join. Whilst I'm definitely not a professional seamstress , they are plenty strong enough, and finished to a good standard, provided you don't mind a wonky stitch or two caused my my random coughing! . Each will come with its own wee stuff-sack (see below), and mainsheet rope for controlling the sail.

What you will need to provide is a pole, and a mast foot arrangement, like those shown here or here. For use in light winds, just clamping to the front seat will be ok, but for stronger winds I would recommend also installing a mast thwart, like the one I use, since these sails are quite a bit bigger than those sold commercially.

All in, each sail costs me about 15 in materials, plus about three hours of my time. I'm therefore looking for 35 each for them plus 2.50 P&P, or perhaps interesting canoeing / bushcrafty swaps of equivalent value. PM me if you're interested!

Blutack.

The Canoeist's prayer: "Lord grant me the serenity to walk the portages I must, The courage to run the rapids I can, And the wisdom to know the difference".

John Muir Trust - Wild Places for Nature & People.

I have an 'Aiguille' pole, which is 11'6". Would this be a problem for the cross-pole?

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

Pm coming. I like the idea of a bigger sail.
    John

Hmmm, looks good. Maybe a christmas pressie for myself.... Yes please.

Wow, that was quick!

So, all sold to Magikelly, Brevan and Sunadal (I will send you all a PM).

TGB - I don't think these will fit your pole, as I made them about as big as I could get away with for my Endless River pole (more power! ). However, I have just enough blue fabric left over to make you a slightly narrower one that will fit (just PM me the lengths of your two pole sections, and the pole diameter). Your other option is to cut a deal with MK, who already has a small one, now perhaps surplus to requirements? .

If there is demand for these, I'm quite happy to make a few more (Yukon firebox kitty nearly there! ). Register your interest below, and I'll see what I can do!
    The Canoeist's prayer: "Lord grant me the serenity to walk the portages I must, The courage to run the rapids I can, And the wisdom to know the difference".

Wow, I've been intending to try and make one for some time, but your's look far better than my sewing will ever be

If you do make some more, please put me on the list for one!!

Thanks

Carry on stitching as you can put me down for one please...
    Kazbunny
    Don't dream it... DO IT!

Great sails...and sales too!

Any chance for sending one across the south-pond? What is the best external diameter for the mast? I have plenty of black anodized 1 inch diameter tubes... is it enough? I believe not...but I can also find larger ones.

Thanks and Merry Xmas from the other side of the blue ball.
    Tony BR
    www.companhiadecanoagem.com.br
    www.canoacanadense.com.br/english.htm
    Past 20 years teaching Biology!
    Next 20 building Canoes!!!

Folks, I have PMed you all. Looks like I'm going to be kept out of mischief for a wee while at least!

Tony - no problem to post to Brazil at cost. The 1" tubing would be fine for the sprit part, but I think too thin for the mast itself. The tubes sold over here as canoe poles tend to be 1.25", and fairly thick walled. If I was setting up from scratch, I'd go for 1.5" for the mast section, then the two poles could fit inside each other for storage.

If you want to go ahead, I can certainly send you one over, and you can experiment!

Quote Originally Posted by Blutack View Post
    Folks, I have PMed you all. Looks like I'm going to be kept out of mischief for a wee while at least!

Tony - no problem to post to Brazil at cost. The 1" tubing would be fine for the sprit part, but I think too thin for the mast itself. The tubes sold over here as canoe poles tend to be 1.25", and fairly thick walled. If I was setting up from scratch, I'd go for 1.5" for the mast section, then the two poles could fit inside each other for storage.

If you want to go ahead, I can certainly send you one over, and you can experiment!
    Hello Blutack.... just PMed you back with all details. Lets go for it!!! Great! Ill buy the 1.5" tube then.... The wall is 1,5mm thick, but with that diameter Im sure it will stand. The sprit will be made out of 3/4" or 1" tubes that I already have around... Thanks a lot and Merry Xmas for you all there!
    Tony BR
    www.companhiadecanoagem.com.br
    www.canoacanadense.com.br/english.htm
    Past 20 years teaching Biology!
    Next 20 building Canoes!!!

i have one of these made by the blu-tac sail company and i love it,although not much of a sailor it helps to push me along quite well.

here's a bit of a better picy,i cant tell how pleased i am with the quality of the finnished item.

happy sailing those who get one there great fun maybe u will in time turn out to be a . ive always want to shout "avast behind" and not be told of!

LOL! Nice one Warthog. I told you I'd gotten the 'W' a little squint though, didn't I!

It's probably also worth saying that Warthog's sail, and my 'moose' sail above, were both made with a very lightweight spinnaker nylon. The ones available on this thread will all be made from a significantly heavier material. This has the slight disadvantage that it is 'shinier' on one side than the other, but it does make for a tougher sail, with less reinforcement required.
    Last edited by Blutack; 11th-December-2008 at 02:56 PM.

Savanna, Illinois USA-on the banks of the Mississippi River

they look great. I can think of many occasions when i would have appreciated one. It would beat me standing up and using myself as a sail.
    Having only sailed small boats like the Coronado 15 and Lazer, I wonder if you can peek around the sail to effectively to keep an eye for hazards. On the boats mentioned the boom was high enough to look under, or they had clear plastic sewn into the sail to make a window.
    Regards,
    Mike

LOL! Nice one Warthog. I told you I'd gotten the 'W' a little squint though, didn't I!
    i thought that was just to show my unbalenced nature

You can think what you like Warthog - It definitely reminds me of something though.... just can't quite put my finger on it....

Right, before I completely hijack my own thread, Mike - you make a fair point, but in practice I've never had a problem seeing where I am going. Since I'm normally paddling or steering on the opposite side to the sail, I can usually see around the mast in any case. In a light wind, it really is the most relaxing way to travel .

Re steering, I just use a paddle. Bent-shaft paddles are superb for this by the way. I also have a throw-over leeboard for going across the wind (upwind is just possible, but it's usually less effort just to paddle). The leeboard is also marked with one side for fish, and the other for vegetables, in accordance with food hygeine regulations .

Please put me down for the next batch.

(could You tell me which is the fastest colour?)

Quote Originally Posted by teespaddler View Post
    Please put me down for the next batch.

(could You tell me which is the fastest colour?)
    an you ask which is th
    e fastest when youve seen the racing sail, even looks fast on dry land.

And me as well, I'd like one please!

W
    www.kayakcoach.co.uk - Wilf's personal website

Will you be making another batch after xmas?

I would love one of those beutifully crafted sails, but can't afford one till the new year
    SF Peterborough 14'
    weighs 7 Stone! 44.5kg
    Bell Yellowstone (so light)

Wilf & Joe, I've been really surprised by how many folks have been interested in this, so yes I will definitely be making another load in the New Year (although I'm really not sure about 'beautifully crafted' )!

I think from this point on, it's best I put you and anyone else who replies onto a waiting list, so that I don't build up too big a backlog. So, once I've cleared the current list (hopefully this won't take too long), I'll contact you to see if you're still interested, and we can take it from there.

Cheers!

Blutack.

Hey Blutack!

Just come across this thread and would be very keen to be aded to your waiting list - if that's ok?

George
    Smile - it makes them wonder what you've been up to!

Hi
    Blutack, would you be so kind and if possible, add me to your list of sail wanting canoeists

Thanks

Mick
    Stay safe, enjoy

Yes please!

My i be added to your ever increasing list, its just what i have been looking for..

hi Blutack
    remember me john from oban.
    Can you add me to your waiting list for sails cheers
    I would rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy

Default nice one

nice one !

Hi Folks,

Well, I'm steadily working my way down the waiting list, and for those who have received them so far, I hope it was worth the wait! However, judging by my inbox, it seems they are being well received! :

It's awesome - I can't wait to get it on a lake somewhere!
    Got the sail - it looks fantastic! Will have to get out to try it...
    Bright tangerine sail received, it's wicked, you'll be able to see me coming for miles and miles!
    I received the sail yesterday, thank you so much!! It's even better than I thought it would be, I can't wait to get out and have a play.

Thank you so much for the notes too, ideal for a novice sailor like myself.
    I am currently managing to make these at the rate of one or two per week, and getting faster with practice , so hopefully if you're on the waiting list, you won't have too much longer to wait. When I reach your name on the list, I'll PM you to check you're still interested, and confirm your preferred colour, and then the sail should follow shortly afterwards!

The list as it stands at the moment is:

Biscuit26
    Gixermick
    Tboy
    Peterpan
    Lumberjohn
    Kardan2009 (??)
    Daftrucker
    Canoeheadted (??)

Happy Sailing, and do give me a shout if you have any questions!,

Cheers,

Blutack.

Stop typing and keep sewing Blutack!

We're relying on you to pull the country out of recession!

Hi all,

Thanks Blutack, my sail arrived this morning (looking good), hopefully get out at the weekend and give it a try

Thanks,

Mick

PS, don't you just love smilies
    Stay safe, enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by gixermick View Post
    Hi all,

Thanks Blutack, my sail arrived this morning (looking good), hopefully get out at the weekend and give it a try

Thanks,

Mick

PS, don't you just love smilies
    My one has also arrived. Let me say a big thankyou, it is great quality and I'm sure it will make more sense when I get a mast assembled.

But just having it sprawled acros the table, I'm left thinking what do I do with it now?

Nevermind, I just found the instructions in the packaging
    Joe
    Last edited by joe.ford; 5th-March-2009 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Just found instructions :)
    SF Peterborough 14'
    weighs 7 Stone! 44.5kg

Hi Dave, just a quick thank you!! Just returned from a week in Snowdonia to find my sail has arrived, looks fantastic and excellent quality, cant wait to try it out now.

I would like one also if they are still on the go they are great, dont know how i have missed this thread for this long !!

Daz

Would you add me to your list if you are making more sails. Many thanks.

Default ... and another

Please could you add me to your waiting list.

Thanks

Mike
    Live Like You Mean It

Would also like to be added to the waiting list if possible

thanks in advance

Tom

Hi Folks,

Yes, will add you to the waiting list, and will keep sewing as fast as I can!!

However, I don't like having people waiting too long, so I'm going to call a halt to promising any more just now, until I can catch up with the backlog.

To those who are still waiting, thankyou for your patience, and I'll be in touch by PM in due course!!

Many thanks,

Blutack.

Right, I *hope* everyone who expressed an interest in these sails has now had a PM at some point over the past few months as I've worked my way down the list.

I still have a couple of sails set aside for folks who haven't got back to me though, so if you're still keen please let me know, otherwise I'll offer them up for general sale.

Cheers,

Blutack.

Hi Blutack

Please put me down for a sail, if you do find you have some spare.

Cheers

Tim

Me too if there's a spare going....

Cheers,

Alan
    Cheers,

Alan

Default Me too!

Hi,

I'd be interested in joining the list too, if you have any spares.

Many thanks.
    Ian

Default me too please

Hi

I would also be interested if you have any spares

many thanks

graham

Red face

Sorry to add to you your workload, Blutack but I'd really love one of your sails. I have but one request - can I have a brown sail? Dodgy colour I know but if you've read Swallows and Amazons you'll know why .

Please, please, pretty please .

Graeme the Chancer

P.S. Did you get the Yukon firebox? Maybe we could barter over mine?
    Chaste Snow-drop, venturous harbinger of Spring,
    And pensive monitor of fleeting years!

If you do intend to make any more then please add me to your long list of fellow paddlers/sailors.... I'm in no rush so let me know if you are able to.

Regards

Enigma

After 6 months I finally got around to using the sail.

Here I am finally paddling with other people around, so I can get a picture I do notice however the sail looks quite small in this shot, perhaps a bigger one next?

SF Peterborough 14'
    weighs 7 Stone! 44.5kg

In a cottage in a Forest with no neighbours! Heaven!

Quote Originally Posted by joe.ford View Post
    After 6 months I finally got around to using the sail.

Here I am finally paddling with other people around, so I can get a picture I do notice however the sail looks quite small in this shot, perhaps a bigger one next?

Size isn't everything Joe.....surely you've been told that before

Davy

Quote Originally Posted by Davy Crockett View Post
    Size isn't everything Joe.....surely you've been told that before

Davy
    Just looks small in that boat.

Easy fix, only use it in the smaller Peterborough
    SF Peterborough 14'
    weighs 7 Stone! 44.5kg

LOL! Well, they are quite small to be honest! What I will say is they're quite a bit larger than the commercial ones I've seen, and also you won't be complaining about the small size once you've been out in a force 6 with one!

Actually, the reason they're that size is mainly because it suits the poles well. It's therefore difficult to make them any taller, and if you make them wider, they interfere with your sitting position too much when going upwind (or at least tight onto the wind).

Larger versions are available on request though, if anyone dares!

Default A few more.....

Hi Folks,

Once again due to having a couple of days at home with a cold (colleagues banned me from sneezing on them, and sent me home!), I have a few more sails made up, and hence available:

One in Red
    One in Purple
    and two in NATO olive green (bushcrafter's special ).

Price is still the same, 37.50 paid by cheque, or 39 by paypal. First come first served!

I should add that the green ones are just standard nylon fabric, not ripstop, but don't let that put you off, as I've made hammocks from this material before, and they've been plenty strong enough.

Cheers!

Blutack.

P.S. I think everyone who's expressed an interest so far either now has their sail, or no longer wants one. If you're on the list above, and are still waiting then something went wrong somewhere, so please get in touch and I'll sort you out as quickly as I can!

Dear Blutack...

Do you still have the purple one??

I'd like it but my son wants it to have one or two puffles on it ..... I can get him to drawn up a design, but could you do it?

Cheers
    MM

I'll take the red one please. Could you PM me your name & address, so I can make out a cheque. I'll PM you a postal address.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

OK, Purple & Red now spoken for (MM & TGB you have PMs, and what on earth is a Puffle by the way?!?). Green still available.
    Last edited by Blutack; 19th-November-2009 at 04:52 PM.

OK, Purple & Red now spoken for (MM & TGB you have PMs, and what on earth is a Puffle by the way?!?). Green still available.
    Now you know Blutack!! Excellent - the purple one is MINE MINE MINE!!!!

Nice one!

Cheers
    MM

Default Green one please

PM sent

Where's my duck?
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by chrish View Post
    Where's my duck?
    It's currently chilling out with the puffle, but I'm going to need the sail back first before I can stitch it on. Honestly, some people!

The red has just arrived. All present and correct in its own drawcord & toggled bag, even came with a simple 'How to Sail & Rigging' info sheet, (pun not intended but appropriate). Now all I need, is some wind, a place to use it and a canoe. Doubt it would fit the kayak and my canoes' are not with me at present.

Thank you Blutack.

TGB
    Last edited by TGB; 30th-November-2009 at 10:06 AM.

Hi, Whatever colour you may have left I would be interested, thanks ,Mike

Going there and back again to see how far it is!

..what on earth is a Puffle by the way?!?
    Apparently this:
    http://clubpenguin.wikia.com/wiki/Puffle

Hi, have you any sails left if not could i get one on order please.

John.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast