Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sails for Sale!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by longjohn View Post
    Hi, have you any sails left if not could i get one on order please.
    Hi John,

I don't have any made up at the moment, but I can certainly make one for you. I'll send you details in a PM.

Cheers!
    The Canoeist's prayer: "Lord grant me the serenity to walk the portages I must, The courage to run the rapids I can, And the wisdom to know the difference".

John Muir Trust - Wild Places for Nature & People.

That's great i'll have a red one please once you've made some up.

Many Thanks John.

Quote Originally Posted by joe.ford View Post
    After 6 months I finally got around to using the sail.
    Wow after almost a year and a half I have finally made something permanent for the canoe

No more using that temporary ugly clamp, I'll post some pics eventually
    SF Peterborough 14'
    weighs 7 Stone! 44.5kg
    Bell Yellowstone (so light)

Hi Blutack,

Have you any sails made up at the mo? If not could I order one please?

Cheers

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jefftyndall View Post
    Hi Blutack,

Have you any sails made up at the mo? If not could I order one please?

Cheers

Jeff

think it would do me the world of good if i could jump on the band wagon too? so maybe if your in the mood for making some more you could add me to the list? not fussed about colour either so pleeeaasssee can you make some more.....

thanks ---- chris

And me please

Tyro
    "Oh, Eeyore, you are wet!" said Piglet, feeling him.Eeyore shook himself, and asked somebody to explain to Piglet what happened when you had been inside a river for quite a long time.

Default Sail size

Hi, could I ask what size the sails are? Do you think they would be big enough to move a loaded canoe?
    Steve
    "Access all areas, Under the radar"

Journal Entries

All - thanks for your interest - you have PM!

Toptec - the sails are made to fit a standard split canoe pole (i.e. two sections, each approx. 6 feet long). They end up being about 1.5m x 1.5m, i.e. 2.25 square meters. Whilst this isn't particularly large, it's still certainly big enough to move a loaded canoe either across the wind or downwind. (It is possible to sail to windward if you have a leeboard, but in practice the loose foot means that they don't sail very close to the wind, so to avoid spending the whole day zig-zagging backwards and forwards, I find it is usually quicker to hug the shore and paddle!)

When sailing downwind, I generally find I can outpace my paddling companions in anything above a force 2, and at force 4 and above, they can become very lively indeed, despite their small size!!

Thanks,

Blutack.
    The Canoeist's prayer: "Lord grant me the serenity to walk the portages I must, The courage to run the rapids I can, And the wisdom to know the difference".

If you can fit me in also for a sail, ? I would love one in RED but would take any colour..
    Thanks ,, Geoffrey
    There are many roads of freedom, One of them wet.

Journal Entries

Scottydog has just orderd a red one for the wooden canoe and even better I'm getting my own personalised dog I have to wait but I dont mind

blutack I cant thank you enough
    of control why worry sitback and enjoy the Ride

Default me too

Good morning, can you supply another? Not too fussed about the colour but would prefer something earthy rather than garish?
    Upcycled kit & bags handcrafted from amazing materials including tents, leather furniture, upholstery fabrics & inner tubes at www.ragsto.com

Default me too

[QUOTE=scottydog;286904]Scottydog has just orderd a red one for the wooden canoe and even better I'm getting my own personalised dog I have to wait but I dont mind

blutack I cant thank you enough
    [/QUO
    looking forward to seeing that scotty if it works oUt do you think i could get a womble you may have started something here blutack could be in for a bit of overtime
    a canoe is for life not just christmas

Journal Entries

But surely a Womble should make their own sail from stuff they find on the common?

Seriously though, Yes I can do designs and initials on the sails by special request. These work best if they're kept as simple as possible, and I do have to charge extra (sometimes a lot extra!), as the design usually takes twice as long to do as the sail itself. Also, since there are several people waiting for standard sails at the moment, I need to clear the backlog there before doing any more with designs.

That said, if you're looking for something in special, let me know, and I can work out a price (The best thing to do is to send me a link to an image or clip-art that I can copy). Over the past wee while, I think I've done just about everything, from cute.....

to patriotic.........

to downright scary!

Be warned though, despite best endeavours, I can't ever really guarantee how a design will turn out. My machine isn't really built for this sort of thing, as it has a clutch like an old dumper truck, and at 20 stitches per second, things can go very wrong, very quickly! So for instance please don't complain if there are a few duff stitches I've had to unpick, or your mouse ends up looking cross-eyed! I'm really no artist, and it's harder than it looks!!

Anyhow, the pictures above just show the most complex ones I've done to date, and though fun in the end, some had me tearing my hair out at times!! So, I will reiterate, simple is invariably best!!

HTH!!

Journal Entries

I'll attest to trying to put a design on as being a great swear word generator although not many swear words rhyme with Singer (no it's not a competition!!)

Last edited by Chainsaw; 10th-September-2010 at 12:30 PM. Reason: pic
    Cheers,

Alan

Default sails

very clever guys im impressed im in the middle of making a fire box from the stuff everyday folk leave behind but every womble has there limits and a sail would not only have to be practacal but look good too and yours do so i will add myself to the list for a simple but effective sail once the back log dies down and my wee portable firebox is done cheers jim
    a canoe is for life not just christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Blutack View Post

to downright scary!

Not the sail that makes this pic scary!

Default Sails

Hi Blutack,

At home with a cold and not as creative as yourself I am busy scrolling my way through SOTP...and found you and your sails!
    Are you busy sewing at the moment as I would love to buy one to help with the autumn winds !

Look forward to hearing from you.

Hannah

Journal Entries

Finally got to use mine, During my L3 assessment

I was in a borrowed boat with no mast step or foot the pole was shoved through a Krab on the side of the seat, I had my foot on the base of the mast and one hand on the mast and the other on the main sheet
    sit on the gunnel and she went across the wind

very impressed

thanks Blutack

and I am working on the you know what just had some setbacks and stuff
    JD
    He knows not where he's going, For the ocean will decide, It's not the destination, It's the glory of the ride

Default If there are any available

Hi Blutack,

If there ar any SIMPLE sails available now or in the future I would love one. New to all of this but definately want to get into a bit of sail power.

Grateful for a PM when you have the time and have anything available or have time to take on new orders.

Thanks

Hugh

...Seriously though, Yes I can do designs and initials on the sails by special request...
    Duck?
    Chris

Default Sail wanted

Hi Blutack,
    just seen this thread, and love your sails, can I be added to your waiting list please?

Barrie

Default standard sail

hello bluetac are you still making your standard sail in red if so how much are they inc postage many thanks john

Unfortunately he's got Singer problems at present, best to drop him an email.
    Chris

Journal Entries

Hi Folks,

I'm afraid that due to life being stupidly hectic at the moment, and my industrial sewing machine being utterly (and probably un-fixably) kaputt, I'm not able to make any sails at the moment (really sorry!). Now, that's not to say that I won't be able to do them again in the future, but much as I hate letting people down, I have to be realistic, I'm afraid .

If anybody wants to have a shot at making their own, I'm quite happy to post details of how to do it, as they're really not difficult.

Thanks,

Blutack.

Those wanting to make a sail could start here: http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?30189-Does-It-Matter-What-Shape-a-Sail-Is - links to (and duplicates) superb guidance from top sailmaker Todd Bradshaw.

Anyone wanting an off-the-shelf sail that is tried and tested might prefer to contact Solway Dory: their Expedition Rig has been tried and tested pretty extensively this season. For Song-of-the-Paddle feedback see here.

Default sails

Hi Folks,

I'm afraid that due to life being stupidly hectic at the moment, and my industrial sewing machine being utterly (and probably un-fixably) kaputt, I'm not able to make any sails at the moment (really sorry!). Now, that's not to say that I won't be able to do them again in the future, but much as I hate letting people down, I have to be realistic, I'm afraid .

If anybody wants to have a shot at making their own, I'm quite happy to post details of how to do it, as they're really not difficult.

Thanks,

Blutack.
    hi bluetack no problem wishing you and your machine all the best john

cheers chrish i wondered what you meant before seeing his reply john

Default sails for sale

Quote Originally Posted by GregandGinaS View Post
    Those wanting to make a sail could start here: http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?30189-Does-It-Matter-What-Shape-a-Sail-Is - links to (and duplicates) superb guidance from top sailmaker Todd Bradshaw.

Anyone wanting an off-the-shelf sail that is tried and tested might prefer to contact Solway Dory: their Expedition Rig has been tried and tested pretty extensively this season. For Song-of-the-Paddle feedback see here.
    checked them out getting to be a very complicated subject i need something simple maybe a small bow sail for following winds not sure what i want now need a rethink anyway thanks for your contribution all the best john

...Now, that's not to say that I won't be able to do them again in the future, but much as I hate letting people down, I have to be realistic, I'm afraid .
    If anybody wants to have a shot at making their own, I'm quite happy to post details of how to do it, as they're really not difficult...
    Was in Cardiff yesterday, (Now a souless place, filled with too many big stores and all selling the same stuff. ) I saw this place; they seem to have more than their fare share of machines. Since this main photo was taken, they've now got a place that's twice as big and has twice as many machines. If I'd only known of your woe.

TGB
    Last edited by TGB; 18th-November-2011 at 08:39 PM.
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

LOVE IT! I love these sails.
    They are simple and no stay lines!
    Makes the canoe clutter free

How do you keep the pole from ripping through the sail at the top?

Is there any details on how to build them?

Blue tack has not been here for a while.

Something quite similar can be bought of endless rivers.
    http://www.endlessriver.co.uk/new-so...ze-p-1065.html
    frankly I rahter spend my time in a canoe the at the sewingmachine. for that kind of pricing.

The top is closed and reinforcent with a piece of strap.

Not sure it I ever saw a detailed description somewhere. but you might find one somewheren on this forum.
    Propper writing in English. How do you do that? with dyslexia, bad hand eye coordination, ect. and in a foreign language.
    Sorry for all the mistakes.

Lennart, my husband will not thank you for making me aware of Scottish Saltire sail!

Default You're right

You're right Blutack hasn't been on here.
    Again you are right
    I also would rather be sailing than sewing but in the USA you cannot get something like this.
    I have written to Endless River and just shipping and handling alone makes the cost prohibitive.
    So the only option I had was to write him for the instructions on how to make one myself which he did and then some.
    He was totally polite and VERY helpful
    Only took me 2 hours to do including putzing around and already sailing.
    Total cost was free.
    I already had all the materials to do it.
    If I had to purchase it, it would only cost me $10 or 6 British pounds

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by Lennart View Post
    Blue tack has not been here for a while.

Something quite similar can be bought of endless rivers.
    http://www.endlessriver.co.uk/new-so...ze-p-1065.html
    frankly I rahter spend my time in a canoe the at the sewingmachine. for that kind of pricing.

The top is closed and reinforcent with a piece of strap.

Not sure it I ever saw a detailed description somewhere. but you might find one somewheren on this forum.

What are the wee sails that you can roll round the mast...Greg? I saw at Bala...looked a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Hector View Post
    What are the wee sails that you can roll round the mast...Greg? I saw at Bala...looked a great idea.
    That was probably a Solway Dory expedition bermudan rig.

http://www.solwaydory.co.uk/products...-bermudan-rig/

It comes as a complete rig, mast, boom, sail, rigging and a mast thwart so costs a bit more than just a sail that fits on a couple of poles. It is a pretty tried and tested rig.

Thanks Calanish...that's most definitely it
    Clever design

Hi Blutack. Hope allmis well.

Now trying to get back into the canoeing world. Are you still making any sails?

Will send you a PM.

Alan l.

Journal Entries

Hi Alan, I'm still around. I even managed to get out in a canoe last week!

Unfortunately my antique industrial sewing machine finally gave up the ghost, and due to lack of finances and time I haven't replaced it.

The sails are pretty easy to make though, so even if you can't sew yourself, you should be able to get one made locally if Endless River (etc) shipping ends up being too expensive for your location?

Cheers,

Blutack.

Hello, Blutrack

Love your simple designs. Any chance you have instructions or photos on how to build your Sprit Sails?

Carl

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12