Thread: Beginners Canoe

Default Beginners Canoe

As some of you may know I went on a Camping/Canoeing holiday to Sweden last year and loved every bit of it.
    I have kept promising myself that I would invest in a canoe myself, but funds have never stretched that far (and the missus would go bonkers!).

The ones I used in Sweden were called 'Linder 525 Aluminium'.
    I know next to nothing about what is a good canoe and what isn't, so I was hoping that some of you people could give me some advice on a cheap, but half decent canoe to use around my area.

It really would be great to get back on the water again and I really want my two sond to get an experince of what it is like.

Thanks.
    A bad day Camping is better than a good day working!

There is a bewildering choice of boats out there, and what will suit you will depend to some extent on what you are hoping to do.
    Personally I am not a big fan of Aluminium boats, as they can be noisy and cold to touch. However most of us never push a boat to it's limits, so there will probably be many boats that you will be able to get on with. The reality is more likely to be what you find in travelling distance within your budget!
    Have you considered joining a Club? Many have a variety of boats you can try or borrow (or hire), and you will find them a great source of help, advice and (usually free) training.

Well of course it depends on what you regard as cheap . Not sure where you are in Kent, but if you can get over to Kent Canoes in Wrotham you will get good advice. From my own experience a good, inexpensive starter canoe is the Venture Ranger 14. It's a little heavy, but a great paddle both solo and tandem. I have three boats, and the Ranger is the cheapest of them all. I still like paddling it though.
    Matto

Ours was the marsh country, down by the river, within, as the river wound, twenty miles of the sea.

I echo Matto's endorsement of the Ranger 14. I have 5 canoes at present. all different lengths and materials but I keep going back to the Ranger,

Its tough as they come handles everything I throw at it. It is slightly heavy but its inexpensive and will last a lifetime.

Remember open canoes hold their price really well so if you tire of a canoe you are likely to get a very good price for it if you decide to sell later on.

Just remember that you will need paddles and a buoyancy aid.

Personally i would steer clear of an aluminium canoe. They are heavy and noisy and you bake in them in summer. They are also so ugly.

Bushcraft Survival and First Aid Training.

Quote Originally Posted by Matto View Post
    Well of course it depends on what you regard as cheap . Not sure where you are in Kent, but if you can get over to Kent Canoes in Wrotham you will get good advice. From my own experience a good, inexpensive starter canoe is the Venture Ranger 14. It's a little heavy, but a great paddle both solo and tandem. I have three boats, and the Ranger is the cheapest of them all. I still like paddling it though.
    Thanks. I will take a look.

I am in Thanet in Kent.
    A bad day Camping is better than a good day working!