Thread: Sweet Corn

Default Sweet Corn

On our Cloquet River white water outing yesterday, we had fine meal. My brother brought some really good moose steaks and we cooked them on a flat rock over an open fire. They couldn't have been better, but they paled beside the corn.

We'd picked the spot to cook because - the facility where Wing works has corn fields that come within 1/4 mile of the river (there is also a good sweet water spring at this site). We walked up to the field and came away with a dozen ears of the best sweet corn I've tasted in years (Wing had gotten permission beforehand).

We soaked them in the river for a while, waited until we had a good bed of coals, and buried them, husks still on, in the hot coals. We turned them a couple of times, and removed them after about 20 minutes. We'd brought salt and butter and had a great feed. The only thing we'd forgotten was napkins. A swim in the river cleaned us up.

The US was the first place I ever tried raw sweetcorn, we always had it boiled to death at home, what a difference! .
    'There is no wealth but life itself.'

Quote Originally Posted by Silvergirl View Post
    The US was the first place I ever tried raw sweetcorn, we always had it boiled to death at home, what a difference! .
    hmm... Wasn't raw - was roasted in the hot coals. Or is this just another US/UK language flap?

Roasted does taste much better

Quote Originally Posted by pierre girard View Post
    hmm... Wasn't raw - was roasted in the hot coals. Or is this just another US/UK language flap?

Roasted does taste much better
    No language flap, just hadn't tried it any other way than boiled to death . Your right though roasted is best.

sounds like you had a great day.
    'There is no wealth but life itself.'

The sugars in sweet corn quickly start to convert to starch once it is picked, so it is best eaten within 30 mins of harvesting.

Growing sweet corn is easy. There is nothing like eating your own home grown produce.

Shop bought veg is a very poor substitute.

Default Barbecued Corn

If like me with a young family you are mostly tied to formal camp sites in the UK where open fires aren't allowed but barbecues are, you will be glad to know that barbecued corn on the cob is excellent too.

Just brush your "peeled" corn with oil or smear with butter/marg and cook it on the BBQ, turning regularly until all the corn has changed colour, and preferably it is looking a bit "smoky" in places.

As you say, ENORMOUSLY preferable to the "boil to death" method.

I shall be very interested to try it roasted in the fire some time when I get the chance :-)

Ben