Thread: All right my luvvers!! - Greetings and questions from Bristol

Default All right my luvvers!! - Greetings and questions from Bristol

Hi All

I've just signed up to this fabulous resource so I thought I'd better say hi.

I'm Pete and currently live in Bristol. I've done some open canoe weekends and expeditions when part of the venture scouts (more years ago than I care to remember), I've also done a little bit of kg, but really always loved my canoe. Up to about 6 years ago I still had my Coleman Ram-X 13 hung in the garage but sadly sold it as it hadn't been used for a long time.

A chance conversation with a friend of mine where he announced that he would really like to canoe from Devises to Maidenhead as a mini expedition next year prompted some googling and we've come up with the plan to buy 2 inflatable canoes.

I have a couple of questions for the more experienced paddlers here.

1. Are inflatable canoes suitable for extended (multi day trips)

2. I'm currently looking at the Stevlyor Rio and Colorado models. The Rio looks ideal for one each. I may (having got the bug back) occasionally want to tke my 7 year old daughter for a quiet canal paddle. Would I be able to use a Rio for this or should I go for the bigger craft? Budget is an issue and currently whereas I can pick up a Rio for just over 200, it's more like 350 for a Colorado.

3. Anything else I should look out for?

I expect to spend many an evening searching through the various posts and blogs on this site for more info.

Thanks for listening!

Pete

Hi Pete and welcome to the site

I am not as experienced as many around here but I do own a Colorado which is one of the boats you are looking at

Regarding your questions:

1. Can't see why not, inflatables as a general rule are not as fast as hard shells but I get around fine on mine You may find that kk paddles are slightly easier with them (it is what I use) if you are paddling solo. Just remember to take a pump with you so you can top them up

2. If I remember rightly the Rio is only about a foot or so shorter than the Colorado, but it only has one seat, if you shop around you can get a Colorado a lot cheaper than 350, I payed 270 for mine from http://www.adventuresuppliesuk.com/boats_canoes.html but it looks like they are out of stock there until Feb If you are planning on taking a passenger out (even a little one) then I would go for the Colorado as it gives you the extra (very comfy) seat, more kit space and is still very easy to paddle solo. When I was looking the price difference between the Rio and Colorado was about 20 quid I think and it made more sense to me

3. In 2008 they changed the model slightly (this is definate on the Colorado not sure about the Rio) and reduced the size of the directional strakes and added a skeg (a fin) the jury is out on if this was such a good idea as people seem to be losing them in shallow water and it seems from peoples comments that the 2008 model is difficult to keep in a straight line without a skeg on. If you do lose your skeg though there is a different skeg you can use from the Tahiti which you can take on and off when paddling The upshot of this is that if you spot a 2007 model going you may be able to get it cheaper and get slightly better handling

There is LOADS of info on both the Rio and Colorado in the reviews section of the forum and also I have started to write up some notes here about tips and little things I have learnt from my mistakes

Have fun and hope to see you out and about on the water

Thumbs up

Hi Tig

Thanks for the info. Ok, I'll definitely shop around for better prices. I don't need to make the purchase until early next year anyway, so perhaps I'll use the time to do all the research that I can.

When paddling the Colorado solo, do you normally just sit in the rear seat or just fit one seat facing the other way so that you're more in the middle (if you see what I mean)?

Cheers

Pete

I just sit in the rear seat and it is fine

Default Welcome

Can't help with your choice but it looks like another pump-hull to the fold.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

Welcome.

There is no reason at all not to use an inflatable for an extended trip. As long as you can fit all the stuff you need in it you are sorted. Unfortunately I can't help much with details of the models but the canoe reviews section would be the place to look.
    John

Default All Right!

Welcome to the site.

Just thought as an ex-Bristolian I would say hello, I moved somewhere wetter if you can imagine it, and welcome. As it seems already I am sure you will find the site useful.

Will be interested to see a blogg of the trip if it goes ahead.

Enjoy your paddling

Pete
    Lakeland Pete

Default Thanks!

I promise to post a blogg of the trip once it's taken place. Thanks for all your replies

Pete

Thumbs up welcome

Hi Pete, a late but a sincere warm welcome to the forum, cant help with your dilemma, but have seen replies that you have already had and can only endorse there comments, in the meantime Happy PaddlingBill

Default welcome

Welcome to the forum, from another ex Bristolian