Thread: Cardigan Bay

Default Cardigan Bay

Does anyone have any knowledge of the rivers around Ceredigion, Cardigan Bay in Wales. I am going to be in the area and thought it may be suitable to take the canoe.

Cheers

Sprout

Default Welsh Waters of all sorts

Take a look at this site

http://www.canoewales.com/

Should cover most things you need.

Q

I spend some time around there with work, although not a lot of it canoeing, have always fancied a trip from Barmouth to Aberdyfi. Looks as though it would be a pleasant day out, best to judge the tide well at Aberdyfi as it can be a strong one. There is a nice put in on the river north of Tywyn, paddle back up river and then down over the shallow rapidy type bit and into the sea. Great if you have kids with you. Or maybe put north of Machynlleth and paddle to the sea, never tried it but could be a nice one if there is water.
    Leone_blanco

LAS247 wrote: maybe put north of Machynlleth
    Not sure of the situation now, but I lived in the area until a year ago, and there were a few issues of the angling variety with paddling above the tidal limits. The folk I know who paddled it all accessed below Dyfi Bridge.

Haven't paddled rouond the coast from Abermaw/Barmouth to Aberdyfi but should be ok when it's settled - usual offshore wind issues There is a big tidal fall on the Dyfi estuary, so best to make sure you get the timings right to avoid a very long muddy walk......

A bit further north, but the Mawddach & Dwryd estuarys are possibly better paddling. Access the Mawddach at Penmaenpool & paddle down to Barmouth on a falling tide, then pick up the rising tide to come back (or vice versa). The Dwryd is usually a one way trip from somewhere around Maentwrog down to Borth y Gest. It's a really nice paddle, passing Portmeirion, but needs a wee bit of careful timing crossing the last bit to Borth y Gest since it dries out fast!

Rhod

Thanks for the replies. I also found this book to be very useful:

The Welsh Rivers [The complete guidebook to canoeing and Kayaking the rivers of Wales]
    by Chris Sladden

ISBN 0-9516147-2-X

Pity we do not seem to have the same for the rest of the UK