Thread: New member saying hi!

Default New member saying hi!

Hi there,

I've been lurking on the board for a little while, and I would just like to say hi!

I'm a final year degree student in the Lake District studying Outdoor Education. I climb crags and mountains, and like to paddle too. I've done a little seakayaking around Anglesy, and a little more whitewater kakaying. My main paddlesport though is canoeing. I've just blown most of my student loan on a lovely new Wenonah Prospector 16, and I've yet to summon up the guts to drill holes in it for the outfitting!
    I've got my 3* in WW Kayaking, 4* canoe training, and I am an 'old' Level 2 Canoe Coach, kicking my heels until the BCU work out what they are doing with the new transition courses.
    I look forwards to getting to know you all!

Tom.

PS I've also got a lavvu and stove to complete my set-up!

Welcome

Good to see your student loan being put to good use
    John

Thumbs up welcome

Hi there Tom, a warm welcome to the form, when you say you have used your student loan to purchase a canoe, is this part of your plan to teach canoeing/kayaking, as you dont say what you are studying at University, anyway I'm being nosey arnt I, so I will just say Welcome and Happy PaddlingBill

Default Welcome

Good to have you along for the trip.

Are you at Charlotte Mason as was?
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

Quote Originally Posted by CanalVoyaguer View Post
    Hi there Tom, a warm welcome to the form, when you say you have used your student loan to purchase a canoe, is this part of your plan to teach canoeing/kayaking, as you dont say what you are studying at University, anyway I'm being nosey arnt I, so I will just say Welcome and Happy PaddlingBill
    Thanks for the welcome! I'm studying for a BA Outdoor Education. I've been paddling for a couple of years, but it can be a bit of a pain getting to the uni boats, and as a result my progression has stalled. I've decided to take the plunge and invested in a canoe to get out more often. When ever I've been employed as a coach I've always used their boats, but now I'll be able to use my own that has been customized and personally outfitted for my use. It hopefully means I'll be getting up to Scotland a lot more for some multiday river trips- I've already done Pitlochry to Perth and the River Orchy down to Loch Awe. Any suggestions are very welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by TGB View Post
    Good to have you along for the trip.

Are you at Charlotte Mason as was?
    No- I'm at the 'other half' over in Penrith, part of the new University of Cumbria.