Thread: River Eden (Cumbria)

Default River Eden (Cumbria)

Has any one canoe'd the river Eden? Looking at starting at Lazonby.
    Any personal experiences? going up this weekend. Weather say's sunshine!!!
    Slippery when wet

Try looking at http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/edenlazonby.htm

It might be much more friendly now.....

Don't forget to post that blogg after the trip complete with photoes
    You don't stop playing because you get old - you get old because you stop playing.

Will do,
    Slippery when wet

Yes I've done this river at least a couple of times. Get in at Lazonby just above the bridge at the car park. Get out at Armathwaite. Apparently the locals agree to get out above the natural weir and carry round the old buildings, then across the field to the road. Be careful not to cause an obstruction. The field is muddy.

If the levels are OK, shooting the weir can be fun, either by the old mill race (unsatisfying) or through the guts of the weir (make sure you have a photograper on the bank)

Me and a few others paddled it on sat just gone. Nice scenic grade 2 river. It was in full flood so it was more like grade3. Access is a bit funny as you have to get permission beforehand from carlistle canoes and you get a date and a set no of people allowed. Start at lazonby and take out just above the weir at Armathwaite. there is a little stream just above the weir on the left get out there next to the old jcb and walk along the field to the road. There are 2 farms there which are private land so make sure you get the right path unlike us who got a ear bashing from the landowner. Quite understandable as it is a horse yard and one of the horses bolted in the past at the sight of a canoe and got killed by a 4x4 on the road. Trip is 5 miles long and takes approx 3 hours. Hope this helps
    Leeroy
    Its not rocket science Mr Robinson

Quote Originally Posted by Leeroy View Post
    Access is a bit funny as you have to get permission beforehand from carlistle canoes and you get a date and a set no of people allowed.
    I would say that this is unnecessary.

Default Thanks

Many thanks to all, looking forward to it and hope to do a blogg on my return
    Slippery when wet

Hi
    I was in the group that ran the Eden with Leeroy last Saturday, had a blast, but apparently there was a paddler killed in the weir at armathwaite last year, so get a good look at it before you make your mind up as to wether or not your'e going to run it (the two of us in opens didn't, some of the kayakers did).

Mick
    Stay safe, enjoy

Yup, as the others... Lazonby to Armathwaite is a lovely paddle but it depends on the river levels... although looking at what rain fell on Sunday, you should have a good trip. Enjoy...
    Kazbunny
    Don't dream it... DO IT!

Default Eden

Lovely paddle. Done it twice. Get permission.

Quote Originally Posted by gixermick View Post
    but apparently there was a paddler killed in the weir at armathwaite last year,
    I heard it was further upstream than the weir but I am happy to be corrected.

Sorry but this is an ideal opportunity for me to post one of my favourite pictures again.

Wow......But did you stay dry?? lol
    Slippery when wet

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Cooper View Post
    I heard it was further upstream than the weir but I am happy to be corrected.

Sorry but this is an ideal opportunity for me to post one of my favourite pictures again.

We heard it from the man who lives in the house at the waters edge by the weir, so i was taking his word for it.

That is a great photo though

Mick
    Stay safe, enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Jnr View Post
    But did you stay dry?? lol
    Of course! Potential slur

The picture was taken by a lady out walking her dog. A picture from a friend on the rock in the middle of the weir was all full sunshine and wasn't as atmospheric. You'll have to excuse me, I have posted this picture a few times, I think it is my favourite.

Great river, close to ideal for the canoe.

Please follow the access arrangement. Loss of this gem would be a shame.

Have a good paddle,

Ken
    www.kenhughescourses.com

Has anyone done a longer section of the Eden. Looking for an easy grade 2 for potentially a 2 day trip?

Access can be a pain in lots of Cumbrian rivers. What about a lake and a river? Ullswater followed by the Eamont? Or maybe upper Derwent, lake middle Derwent then Bassenthwaite and on to Workington if you can sort access.
    Andy,
    (Cumbria)

Quote Originally Posted by Cumbria View Post
    Access can be a pain in lots of Cumbrian rivers. What about a lake and a river? Ullswater followed by the Eamont? Or maybe upper Derwent, lake middle Derwent then Bassenthwaite and on to Workington if you can sort access.
    Derwent and lakes seem like a great option.. UK river guides advise "1 June to 31 October river closed to paddlers except by special permission (and this is likely only to be given in June and July)."

So that might put a spanner in the works 😔

I think that's the section from Bassenthwaite onwards. Lots of folks seem to paddle the upper and middle. Don't know when you're planning to go but we've had lots of rain recently and levels are high at the moment.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
    Andy,
    (Cumbria)

I might try giving the access folk a call?
    Looking to do a 2 day paddle 1St weekend in Sept

The National Park have some useful info on access & routes here that you may find useful.
    Death is natures way of telling you to slow down.

For a longer trip you can continue below Armathwaite to Wetheral getting out above the fish counting weir close to the road.