Thread: Paddle 08 Views and Experiences

Default Paddle 08 Views and Experiences

I attended paddle 08 on the Sunday this year and I thought it was a bit of an improvement on last year. I was impressed by the SCA stands and the obvious hard work some people had put in for the event. There were also lots of bargains to be had and I think the biggest one I saw during the day was at the Stirling Canoes stand. Dave Rossetter was selling a Nova Craft Supernova for 700 . A true bargain! and if I never had one already it would have been on my roof rack and heading back to the Borders.

I also attended the paddlemaking workshop and the only SOTP members I seen during the day were tenboats and the banker looking tired after their very recent trip to Skye.

I am sure this has been discussed on previous threads but I do think it would be good to have an SOTP stand with pictures and information etc next year. I would also of have liked to see a few demo boats and had the opportunity to have a paddle in some of them..
    Mitch

I was also very impressed with the SCA stand. I am on the Touring Committee and was aware of some of the hard work which went into this event. I should stress that I had virually nothing to do with any of it, except for gathering dates off folk for the Open Boat Calendar (draft).

(The Skye trip was pure hell, hence our ragged appearence. We had two days of Force 10 gusts, and were almost blown back up Kyle Rea against the tiderace).
    (But I still managed to put on 4lb in unwanted weight: too much good food)
    If it wasn't for the rain in our lives there would be no rivers. X 2

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    There were also lots of bargains to be had and I think the biggest one I saw during the day was at the Stirling Canoes stand. Dave Rossetter was selling a Nova Craft Supernova for 700 . A true bargain! and if I never had one already it would have been on my roof rack and heading back to the Borders.
    I was very tempted.

If only I had a spare 700, even then I was very tempted....

The show itself had a more professional feel (except the long queue to pay to get in)
    The SCA stands were well laid out and it felt like there was more space.
    Possibly because there were not the films this year (or did I miss them), the upside of this was less background noise, but my kids were disappointed at not seeing them.

I don't know how the water sessions went, first time they've tried them but the weather was shocking on the Saturday, so I don't know if it went ahead.

Other people have mentioned that there were not as many Open Canoe oriented talks/worshops etc. on and it would be good to get a greater representation.

Just wish I'd had more time (and money)
    'There is no wealth but life itself.'