Thread: Southampton Area

Default Southampton Area

I am down at Woodmill this weekend since my youngest son is on a course there.

I will be kicking my heels so am looking for somewhere to paddle and maybe someone to paddle with.

I've been told the tidal Itchen can be OK provided it's not too muddy but I am not intending to go too far down Southampton Water. Would the lagoons around Hayling Island be worth a visit.

Anyone got any useful info?

Anyone fancy joining me?

If you don't know me I am a 4* canoe and kayak paddler but was intending to paddle canoe at the weekend.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Depending on the tide Chichester Harbour around Hayling would make a great trip. Plenty of small creeks to explore. I have spend plenty of time kayaking around there. The tidal race at the mouth of Langstone harbour can be a bit quick but its not beyond your skills.

Sadly I am running a course this weekend or I would have jumped at the chance of meeting up.

Bushcraft Survival and First Aid Training.

Default A few options,

I come from Lymington - so know this area - although I now live in Yorkshire (sorry not down south this weekend)

You have probably looked this up already but here are the tides (please check just in case I transcibed something wrong!):

Southampton (remember we get funny double tides in the solent)
    Sat 12th
    LW 07.03 BST 0.4m
    HW 13.26 BST 2.8m
    LW 19.23 BST 0.6m

Sun 13th
    LW 07.46 BST 0.5m
    HW14.17 BST 2.8m
    LW 20.08 BST 0.6m

so not bad for times, but there is a fair bit of water flowing in an out...

A couple of suggestions going west across the New Forest

My personal fave (and next to my mum's home village) Keyhaven - stick to inside Hurst Spit - as outside there are some interesting tidal streams and outfalls - OK in a kayak but not really solo unless you are bomp proof- all the same you need carefully do your tidal flow calculations etc.! Inside lovely saltmarshes etc. Would be good in a canoe. On these tides should be best 2-3 hours either side of high water otherwise unless you launch from the boat club slip straight into the channel (for which you might get a launch fee) it may be a bit of a mud fest getting in and out.

Hurst Tide times:
    Sat 12th
    LW 07.05 BST 0.4m
    HW 13.26 BST 2.8m
    LW 19.23 BST 0.6m

Sun 13th
    LW 07.46 BST 0.5m
    HW 14.17 BST 2.8m
    LW 20.08 BST 0.6m

Beaulieu river - again I must say I usually do this in a KayaK (hence this route) - you can launch off the westermost point of Lepe beach - hug the shore and then up into the river - can go all the way up the tidal stretch - best done going up on the flood and turn round on the ebb.

I am not sure what the launching posibilities are further up river - problematic with the Beaulieu estate I would think. I get round this by launching off the beach. You are a much more experienced canoe paddler than I am, so although I am happy with a kayak off the beach but would be a bit concenred in an open canoe (but then I have not done much sea/open water in one).

I would not bother going to Muddeford this time of year - it will be really busy - far too many boats - save this for an off season trip. Beaulieu will also have a lot of traffic on a summer weekend - but for most of it you can canoe off the main channel.

Not sure about top of Southampton water not paddled there..
    I am sure others can advise regarding the eastern options of Hayling/ Chichester harbour.

I am not sure what the wind will be doing - the forecast suggests it will still be blowing 20knots up here on saturday. Out in the solent we can get a really nasty short chop wind over tide.

Have a good paddle.

Rob

Thanks for all the useful information chaps.

In the end I did a stretch of the Hamble right up to a pub at the tidal limit and then the Beaulieu River the following day rom Buckler's hard to Beaulieu. I got no volunteers to join me so was out solo and had to moderate my ambitions accordingly.

The winds on Sunday were running at force 6 gusting at force 7 and northwesterly so the paddle up was really hard work. I though the paddle back down with the tide and the wind behind me would be easy but in reality it was quite intimidating running with both of these trying to avoid colliding with boats, banks and trees!

I have a short trip report for our club newsletter written but I couldn't cut and paste it from word into this text box.