Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yukon & Nomad Fireboxes

Default Yukon & Nomad Fireboxes

Some background regarding my fireboxes.

I make these as a hobby- my background is in environmental science! I just got so fed up with seeing folk burn big holes in the environment.

By the time I take the time spent on setting up the drawings, making the stove bags, packaging costs and wear and tear on the sewing machine and other tooling into account I do little more than break even by selling at the current price. Occasionally Iím able to obtain materials at a discount so do make a bit of money on a batch but I doubt if I will be retiring to the Caribbean soon.

The current prices inc. UK P+P are

Yukon in 1.6mm st./steel: £47.50
    Yukon in 1.2mm st./steel: £37.50

Top Plate for Yukon in 1.2mm st./steel: £8.50 if ordered with a Yukon, £9.50 if ordered separately.

Nomad in 0.9mm st./steel: £22

Nomad in 0.4mm Grade 2 Titanium: £48

If youíre able to pick up in person I will knock the cost of postage off the price, typically £5 for the Yukonís, £2 for the Nomads but maybe more if Iím in a good mood on the day.

Details of dimensions and weights are on the website. www.canoepaddler.me.uk/fireboxes.htm

Hope that clears things up.

Thanks to everyone for their interest.

Chris
    "All right" said Eeyore "We're going. Only don't blame me"

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

Hi,

These are top quality fire boxes, made to a very high standard. I have three for group trip use. used in Sweden this year for a two week trip.

Alan

Default Now that I rememberd my paypal password

I have just ordered mine, needed it to add to my pyro kitchen .

Cheers

Tim.
    Cheers
    Tim

Paddles a Prospector

Default Yippee

Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    I have just ordered mine, needed it to add to my pyro kitchen .

Cheers

Tim.

Its arrived!
    great stuff
    Cheers
    Tim

Paddles a Prospector

Default Titanium Yukons

I'm looking to make some Yukons in Titanium

Only problem is I'm not sure how thin I can get away with. I have been offerred either 0.75mm or 1.2mm at a reasonable price that would keep the price sub £100.

Obviously the thinner sheet would be lighter but will it warp excessively. Anybody outhere like to hazard a guess?

Finished weights would be between 0.5kg and 0.75kg I think.

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

Default Great firebox

My yukon arrived last week and has just been on a 2 day trip down the tweed. Cooked for 5 for 2 days solely on the Yukon and loved it!
    Just Great!!

Do you ever horse trade Chris? I may want to pick one of these up my next trip over for a project I am working on.
    Lloyd

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug...

Thats thrown me! Had just decided to order a Yukon because I'm fed up waiting for me to make my own firebox. A titanium one would be VERY nice

Umh, speaking as an engineer, I would play safe and go for the thicker material. See how that behaves first. Better to be a tad over engineered than under. People will love 'moaning' about something made 'over the top'. Which is much better than a poor product. If the heavier ones work well and it looks like you can easily drop to the thinner material, then the earlier models could become much sort after. " oh, I have one of the first batches made in the heavier gauge. ho ho ho!."

I built myself a wood burner for the house a few years back. It's affectionatly known as 'The Beast'. My 'brief' was that I wanted to build a stove that would be around and working in over a hundred years time. Sad sod that I am, but I believe everything should be built to last that long...at least. ( oops...I'm off.) I had some 15mm steel plate left over from a job and used that as the 'top plate'. Boy, does that look impressive! 25 or 30mm would have been better though!. But the point is, nearly everyone who sees it comments on the fact that it is over engineered....and want one, maybe one day, perhaps if I ever retire, but I can never seem to build more than one of anything without keep 'improving it'. I keep thinking about building a wood burner for the Tentipi, but to last 100 years? I would end up with having to build my own canoe....from steel...and possibly call it the 'Bismarck'. Or Titanic .

I think you've possibly guessed I'd be interested in the heavier gauge. I 'll have one if you do. Please let me know what you decide on .
    Last edited by MagiKelly; 6th-November-2008 at 08:58 PM. Reason: bold off

Just North of Portsmouth. "Over the hill".

Hi Chris.

I worked with sheet titanium quite a bit in a previous life in the aircraft industry. Titanium is a very poor heat conductor and I'm going to hazard a guess that a firebox will warp quite a lot during use,,,, but then spring back to shape when cool????? Have you tried a prototype yet, I'd be interested to know what actually happens?

Titanium is a fantastic material, light hard and incredibly resilient, but it can be a sod to work with. Watch out for splinters, they can turn nasty!
    Who's been sleeping in my porridge???

Am cutting some in the 1.2mm this week if all goes to plan and maybe one or two in the 0.75mm. Hope to have them sorted for the symposium.

The problem with all this is having to buy the whole sheet of Ti. to get it at a sensible price. If anybody fancies some 0.4mm to make a chimney for their tipi give me a call.

Lloyd, horsetrading always a possibility. Stuff from Canada is always good. I'll have a think about what's missing in my life (apart from more time!)

Chris

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

Let me know... the thicker the better for my needs. Even 1/8th or 1/16th would do.

If only I had my uncles plasma cutter...
    Lloyd

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug...

Default Titanium Yukons

I have just picked up a batch of Yukons in 1.2mm aerospace titanium and to look at they are pretty unremarkable, not very differant from stainless. Pick it up and you really notice. They weigh in at 1kg, about 2.2 lb. That's 0.75kg lighter than the equivalent thickness stainless and 1.25 kg lighter than the HD version. I'm guessing these will be at least as strong.

Now the painful bit.

£85 inc. locking pins, grill rods and carry pouch

p+p £8 on top.

I'll bring a couple to the symposium if anyone would like a look.

Chris

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

Hi Chris, as promised I will have one, please.

Pm me your address and payment details for cheque, I hate the thought of Paypal taking a slice, or some credit card company. No desperate hurry, feel free to show at the Symposium if you want too, I doubt it'll get scratched!

Richard.
    Last edited by Davy Crockett; 13th-November-2008 at 10:21 PM. Reason: missed out a word, trouble with being over 50!

Default Video

Hi All

not very exciting clip of the titanium Yukon in action this afternoon. Not surprisingly it works pretty much the same as the stainless version. The left wing bends by 5mil or so as the fire picks up then returns to shape as it cools. A consequence of the inside being hotter than the outside!
    I guess this could take a set over time so I tend to swap sides from time to time.

http://s242.photobucket.com/albums/f...t=SANY0125.flv

Certainly no buckling of the base and all four feet stayed firmly on the ground.

Chris

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

Cheque on it's way for the ti' Yukon Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Davy Crockett View Post
    Cheque on it's way for the ti' Yukon Chris.
    At least your missus can't blame this one on me Richard, I don't own one yet.

P.S. can I have a look at yours once it has arrived please.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
    At least your missus can't blame this one on me Richard, I don't own one yet.

P.S. can I have a look at yours once it has arrived please.

Steve
    I told her it was YOUR idea that I get one, so it would be less weight for HER to carry

Yukon ti arrived last Sat'. Thanks for the prompt delivery.
    Passed my critical engineers eye over it....and must say....most impressed. First fire in it last night, went well too.
    Top marks mate

Really impressed with these Yukons, especially the one Davey bought in Titanium. So have bitten the bullet and ordered one today.

Stainless that is not Titanium, there's only room for one gadget paddler in our group.
    Had a great time at the Canoe Symposium 2011 - Harry Rock is now my hero.

Who's calling ME a gadget paddler?
    Everything I buy is an essential piece of quality equipment. The 'Yukon' has certainly lived up to that expectation, and will I believe surpass it. It has now moved into the 'essential' part of the kit list even for when just out with the dogs for a walk. Toasting sandwiches and warming cold hands and toes....sometimes difficult to make myself put the fire out and get back on with the trip.
    You'll love yours Steve when you get it, 'cos you like quality.....that's why you paddle with me.........or is it ( or more to the point 'was' it) just because of my Yukon...

Hi Chris,

My Yukon has arrived and it's a lovely bit of kit, looking forward to trying it out this weekend.

Many thanks.

Steve

These look good!

can we please see a picture of a Yukon with the top plate fitted please?

Would like to see how they work, can they be used as a griddle for example?

Can you get a Ti top plate to go with a ti stove?

regards.

Alan L.

Default Yukon

I have a ti Yukon, but forgot to order the top plate.
    I would think Chris would have no problem about supplying one with a ti top.
    I had some 2mm stainless left over from a job so I made my own, did the same as Chris has done with his tops and put a hole in to suit the smaller Kelly Kettle, which also gives loads of room for the large Kelly too. Better check with Chris if his does take the smaller Kelly though.
    I aim to make a pan support this week that fits over the top plate opening so I can use the front of the plate for heating whilst I cook over the hole in the back.....I'll post some pic's when I get it done.
    I'm very very pleased with my Yukon. Can't praise it enough.
    It now goes on our walking trips as well as canoeing.
    Last Sunday evening I found myself alone at home, so after sawing a load of wood for the week I set up the tarp, got the Yukon alight and the little Kelly boiling, and had a brew
    Sat there in my own little world toasting my toes, happy as all the birds in the air.....as they say

Below are a couple of pic's taken a few weeks back at Santon Downham in Norfolk. Me and my son Tym in the pictures...I'm the young looking one....honest.) A couple of weeks later we were a bit further up the river and as it was freezing quite hard that afternoon we found it extremely difficult to leave the warmth of the fire. Steve D was frantically running around trying to find some dead wood to put on to keep it going longer( we mostly take our own wood....prepared earlier... ). Ended up melting the side of one of my MSR mugs and Steve melted a glove....damned good fire

Steve D was so impressed ( not with melting his gloves ) that he has one too now. ( But I don't think he has told his wife yet
    Nasa will be able to pick us up on saterlite from the heat glow radiated out into space when we light up next time we're out

Yep, thanks for that!

When the wife and kids are'nt here, I just watch what I want to on telly NOT THEM!

And yep the idea of the tarp up and kelly going sounds really good!

I do that during the day! (don't work you see! Retired!)

Manythanks for the info though looks really good!

Regards.

Alan L.

Default Yukon

I do that during the day to......I'm self employed....and no self discipline

Quote Originally Posted by Davy Crockett View Post
    Steve D was so impressed ( not with melting his gloves ) that he has one too now. ( But I don't think he has told his wife yet
    Why don't you come round and shout it out in the street. You do know she's trying to get on with computers, so my days of covert purchasing are numbered.

On a more serious note Juno2, I'm really impressed with the Yukons. A really nice piece of kit, easily assembled, and it comes in a tidy little pouch as well. Also delivered pretty quick too.

Steve

Great pics of the flames coming out of the top of the Kelly Kettle!

I had a go at making a full height chimney from thin sheet that could be rolled up for transport. I used the top of an old stainless Thermos to locate the chimney tube onto the Top Plate. It drew so strongly that I had to take the chimney off the stove. The base began to glow red and there was a loud roaring as the flames shot up the tube. Back to the drawing board!

Unfortunately I don't make a Top Plate in Ti. I'd be happy to look into it if enough folk wanted them but with only half a dozen Ti Yukons sold it would have to wait until I cut the next batch- could be some time at this rate! - as the sheets of Ti tend to only come out at around enough to cut about a dozen pieces. Smaler pieces do sometimes come up on ebay so keep your eyes out and if you find a piece of 1mm about 250 x 350mm I will cut a top plate out at no charge for anyone buying a Ti Yukon.

The current incarnation of the Top Plate is made from 1mm stainless with a hole 105mm diam. It weighs 335g, so not too heavy.

Chris

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

Hi Chris,

And thanks Steve D to!

Yukon and top plate arrived today.

Arrived promptly, well packaged and protected.

First class bit of kit! Good design, easy to assemble, neat bag to hold it all in!

Can't wait to try it out!

Many thanks

Alan L.

Default dELIVERY EXCELLENCE

Hi Chris.

just had to say a big thanx my niece ordered me this on saturday and it arrived today tuesday, i cant believe how quick you turned this around. a big thanx i will post more when i have had a good look

Default Yukon

I got mine on Friday, Cooked breakfast and tea yesterday. Great bit of kit.T'aint so shiny now. Thanks Chris.

Mine arrived last Tuesday and I am very impressed with the speed of delivery.
    I went out for a paddle last Saturday so I used the opportunity to try it out and I can say that I was very imprssed with the speed it boiled my kettle in.
    Fantastic bit of kit that I will be using regularly!

We cooked up a stir fry on Saturday using the top plate to hold a wok. Really good heat distribution, and maintained the wok at an ideal temperature.

My Yukon is now getting used on a weekly basis, just love it.

Steve

Nice stirfry!

It definitely is one of my top 5 buys, goes with me on almost every trip! Time for another gratuitous food piccie;

Have some rep Mr Randall, think of all the scorch marks you've averted!

Cheers,

Alan
    Cheers,

Alan

Default Ordered a Ti Yukon

Hi Chris,

I've ordered a Ti Yukon with top plate, let me know if the order/payment doesn't come through because i've been having problems with paypal of late.

Also do you know where i can get one of the 10" dutch ovens that you mention?

Smurf

Cheers

Our Dutch oven was from MEC. I think they are about $60. Maybe you could get some nice Canadian person to post you one?

Chris

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

ordered one last night as a pressy,

and found out I'm camping out on Loch Lommond soon so should make cooking easy
    JD
    He knows not where he's going, For the ocean will decide, It's not the destination, It's the glory of the ride

Thanks Chris, excellent piece of kit which has become an instant favourite with my wife and daughter, suspect this will go everywhere with us

all the best

Andy

Chris, Order placed via website - looking forward to some new toys to keep kids (and myself!) entertained in the long winter months!

Positive reviews here a key factor in taking the plunge.

Cheers

Donald

Just used ours for ten days in France. As well as cooking food, the top plate with Kelly is great. Never got told off for an open fire on any of the six camp sites, even though some said no open fires. Best bit of kit I have bought this year . Thanks Chris
    We no nah fink

Quote Originally Posted by donmacn View Post
    Chris, Order placed via website - looking forward to some new toys to keep kids (and myself!) entertained in the long winter months!

Positive reviews here a key factor in taking the plunge.

Cheers

Donald
    Hi Donald

all shipped today, thanks for the order and apologies for the delay. I've been waiting for some materials to arrive before finishing off the stove.

Chris

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

Default brilliant!

Chris,

Thanks very much for the update - appreciated! The timing is great for me - means it'll be here by the end of next week when the school hols start and we'll all get a chance to have some fun (weather permitting!)

Like a kid before Xmas now!

Cheers

Donald

Looking forward to getting mine in time for the school hols.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live - Douglas Adams

Default deeelighted

Chris,

Picked up the package today and am just delighted with the box and the 'vertikelly'.

Got a couple of wee blazes going in the back garden when the kids came home from school and they had a great time! It's obviously about more than keeping the kids happy, but so far the judging panel's quite impressed!

Many thanks

Donald

Just ordered mine via your web site looking forward to using this great piece of kit

cheers john
    I would rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy

Finnally got to use mine and loved it, just used it for fire no cooking, but made sitting outside watching the sun go down nice and comfy,

(we were on a garden outside a rented house so normally couldn't have a fire)
    JD
    He knows not where he's going, For the ocean will decide, It's not the destination, It's the glory of the ride

Ordered off your web wednesday cooker and top plate, thanks.
    Last edited by longjohn; 9th-October-2009 at 11:57 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

All shipped off today. I'm starting to get a little nervous of the postal strikes though. I do send everything by 1st class so let me know if there is a delay.

Chris

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

sorry if I missed it but ?, can you use charcole or other types of fuel on this burner?.
    I know it defeats the object but just wondering how flexable it is .
    There are many roads of freedom, One of them wet.

I've had a barbie in it, one of those light the baggie type things. We thought the place we were staying had a barbie so just took bags Worked great although there was a lot of charcoal in a small area, should have used less.

Cheers,

Alan
    Cheers,

Alan

Default stove

hi Chris, my stove arrived today, many thanks for the promt service, excellent item.

John

Saturday night = Cornish pasty (done in pie iron) and chips......mmmmmmm

All done on the Yukon

Coffee in the morn....

followed by bacon and egg!!!

Cheers
    Tim

Paddles a Prospector

Got much good use out of my Yukon over the past week. It's been a barbecue and a stove but never once a fire. No sir, not at a campsite that doesn't allow fires. A wood-fired stove.

Sadly, I lost one of the wee pins that holds the whole thing together. Is there a spares service?

Not the best of photo's but here is my set up for "normal" camp-sites a fire blanket is laid on the ground an old camp kitchen on top and the Yukon on top of that, this set up we had two yukon's a glorious camp fire it was too.

cheers
    Tim
    Cheers
    Tim

Paddles a Prospector

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Sadly, I lost one of the wee pins that holds the whole thing together. Is there a spares service?
    I'll stick a couple in the post tomorrow..

Chris

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Got much good use out of my Yukon over the past week. It's been a barbecue and a stove but never once a fire. No sir, not at a campsite that doesn't allow fires. A wood-fired stove.

Me too. I think an old coat hanger could be pressed into service.
    Get Outdoors in Northern Ireland
    www.ni-wild.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by jonno View Post
    Me too. I think an old coat hanger could be pressed into service.
    Surely the wood will just go up in smoke

But good idea. I'll do that. The missus will kill me for chopping up her coat hangers. All my stuff lives on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Randall View Post
    I'll stick a couple in the post tomorrow..

Chris
    Oooh. Thanks. Saves the coat hangers for a while. What a gent.

Yukon firebox, not really a review but more of an appreciation!

Waited anxiously for it to arrive and when it did it was exactly how I imagined it to be from all the positive write-ups I've read.

A well thought out and well made product

I purchased mine along with the top plate which is reduced if brought with the Yukon. The top plate with its hole set towards the back is design for a Kelly or any volcano kettle to sit. I wanted the means to cook on a fire and pop a brew on after.

Used it in anger for the first time the weekend before last on the Wye never touched my little gas stove all weekend. Absolutely chuffed to bits with it. Wondered why its taken me so long to finally go with this method. Having a fire to cook on beit in a firebox or open is one of those joys of living in the outdoors.

It will now go with me everywhere.

Excellent Mr Randall. Thank you!

Nige

I've just ordered and paid for one of these lovely Yukons from the website... I can't wait....
    Now I need to figure out a way to break the news gently to SWMBO..
    Cheers Simon

Gumotex Baraka

Also just finally ordered the Yukon and top, from the website and just found out the postal strike starts at midnight tonight!!,.
    Is chris in north northants?, I live in Leicester so I wonder if its worth fetching ?.
    There are many roads of freedom, One of them wet.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast