Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yukon & Nomad Fireboxes

Quote Originally Posted by dabs View Post
    Also just finally ordered the Yukon and top, from the website and just found out the postal strike starts at midnight tonight!!,.
    Is chris in north northants?, I live in Leicester so I wonder if its worth fetching ?.
    How hungry are you
    We no nah fink

I can wait,, but its the sight of that Bacon and chips cooking,,
    There are many roads of freedom, One of them wet.

My Yukon arrived this morning and I had to spend all day at work looking at it and wondering how it would work. It is really nicely made and the laser cutting is spot on. Assembly was dead easy and it has a good solid feel.

As soon as I was home it was time to light it up. I have been lighting fires for the best part of 35 years and this must have been the easiest I have ever lit. The air flow is excellent, not too much and certainly not too little. In no time at all I had three pine logs burning parallel in the box and the kids were making twists on the terrific embers. The fast burning logs burned out to leave just a fine ash and the solid lower plate meant that clearing up was a doddle. It was noticeable that the box acts as a good heat reflector and it would be very welcome to sit in front of or have facing into the tarp on a cold night.

The box is a lovely size. Not too small to make burning decent sized wood a problem or to need constant attention, but also not so big that it needs forests to keep it going.

I think that this is just about perfection. A solid amazingly well thought out design, I love the easy solid assembly, the airflow, the ash-pan that makes clear up easy, the movable pot supports, the open front to allow feeding with pot in place and, not least, the pouch supplied to keep it in.

Well done Chris!

Graham

Glad folks are getting plenty of use out of their Yukons.

Major shipment sent out today, thanks to all for their patience in waiting whilst I finished off their orders.

Chris
    "All right" said Eeyore "We're going. Only don't blame me"

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

Thanks Chris, yukon turned up today, and I can`t wait to fire it up..
    There are many roads of freedom, One of them wet.

Mrs SBreen says that there's a package from Chris waiting at home.... I'm stuck at work dreaming of setting light to things
    Cheers Simon

Gumotex Baraka

Quote Originally Posted by SBreen View Post
    Mrs SBreen says that there's a package from Chris waiting at home.... I'm stuck at work dreaming of setting light to things
    There should be two!

I have to send the rods and bag separately to keep things under the Airmail weight limit.

Chris

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Randall View Post
    There should be two!

I have to send the rods and bag separately to keep things under the Airmail weight limit.

Chris
    Hi Chris,
    There are indeed two.
    Cheers Simon

Gumotex Baraka

Hey Chris

Got the wee joining pins today. Thanks very much. You're a gent.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live - Douglas Adams

Chris,

A thought for you. We put two yukons together at the weekend, open ends together that is to create a much larger box to cook with multiple pots etc. When the cooking was finished and we just used it for a fire, we noticed how much heat it was pumping out, with both the steel one and the titanium one glowing with hot spots.

I wonder if it would take much work to produce a single unit but of double the length of the standard unit, and what issues that may present in terms of warping etc?

My yokon has become one of my indispensable pieces of kit, but for canoe trips, it would be nice to have a larger one, both for the ability to cook with several large pots, and also the capacity to provide more heat for a small group of people.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by BigMike; 2nd-November-2009 at 11:34 AM.

Default Bigger Yukon

I've been looking into this and am hoping I can come up with something suitable-

A few questions though.

Is longer better than wider?

Would I need to make it into two halves to make packing easier and allow sharing of the weight?

Would some sort of add on adaptor to use with the existing Yukons be better?

Chris

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

Longer certainly worked on saturday night, though I guess a double width yukon may do the same thing? Then again, you run the risk of hot wood falling out with a wider one I suppose. Putting the two together created an oven-like effect, it was certainly far and away hotter than I've ever had the single unit.

in terms of weight, no, my view is that a larger one wouldnt need to be splitable into two, certainly not if you're taking it in a canoe. we have far heavier things (like a fully laden food box for example).

the adaptor idea - we actually talked about this on saturday night. we collectively thought that if there were two horizontal "eyelets" (for want of a better word) on each side - one near the bottom, one nearer the top, then you could slide steel rods (like the thicker ones you sent me for the top) through those to join up two fireboxes. Then we thought, hold on a second, we just shoved two together, there's no need for eyelets or fixing points, what's the point? You'll see from the pic that the two were on one of those little gelert ally tables. You'll also see that they both wouldnt fully fit on, each is hanging over the back slightly. For security, we just used a heavy rock on each end, leant against the back, I think you can see it in the picture.

So, to stop waffling, I think a longer box would work more efficiently than a wider one, but what about issues of warping if the steel was, say, double the length of the current one? In the case of a longer one, I also don't think that it needs to be open at one end, it could literally just be a long steel box. In the morning, if there is any cash in the bottom, just take one end off and give it a shake - i;ve never had to empty ash out of mine to keep cooking as it gets so hot that there is very little ash there anyway.

final word on weight - a titanium version would solve any weight worries people might have, and whilst it could be more expensive, if someone wanted one and is happy to pay more, then good for them.

Does that help?

btw, if you do it, it could be the "ARD BOX" after us creating it on Loch Ard

The larger Ard Box would also be a cinch to pass off as a "barbecue" on campsites too. I'd be very tempted to buy (although I could just buy another Yukon, I suppose).
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live - Douglas Adams

Just North of Portsmouth. "Over the hill".

Hi Chris.

Just ordered my first Christmas present! I've been meaning to do this for ages! Looks and sounds like a fantastic bit of kit,,,, top job!
    Who's been sleeping in my porridge???

Quote Originally Posted by NickJ View Post
    btw, if you do it, it could be the "ARD BOX" after us creating it on Loch Ard

Surely it should be a...................Lard Box .........

In a cottage in a Forest with no neighbours! Heaven!

I see from my diary that it is one year today that I ordered my Yukon fire box from Chris.

This has to be one of the bit's of kit that is used almost as much as the canoe

I forgot to take it on one trip.....there was a serious 'void' in the experience I must say.

Of those I paddle with, many now have one too. And it gets used for all sorts of occasions, not just canoe trips.

Quality piece of indispensable kit.....creates a fantastic atmosphere.

Davy
    No connection with Chris other than being very satisfied with the Yukon.

Couldn't stand it any longer (not owning one that is...)

now £40 lighter

Didn't expect it to arrive that quickly - Thanks Chris!

Despite there being 30mph gusty wind outside earlier, I thought I'd give it a go and make some coffee on it.
    Using firesteel, cotton wool and birch bark to get it going was immensely easy compared to efforts in hobo style stoves. over the moon!

chucks out some heat doesn't it, and hardly any ashes remain.

Neat little bag to store it all in too. Thanks

do you experienced yukoneers recommend assmebling it 'inside out' every other time, in order to prevent further warping, or is that all normal and part of the fun?

Quote Originally Posted by Petey View Post
    Didn't expect it to arrive that quickly - Thanks Chris!

do you experienced yukoneers recommend assmebling it 'inside out' every other time, in order to prevent further warping, or is that all normal and part of the fun?
    Doubt it'll warp any further, leave it as it is.
    Not that I consider that it would do any harm anyway, but to keep warping back and forth would do more harm than good.

As my wife says, I'm twisted, so leave well alone

Davy
    Bell Seliga Kevlight
    Bell Wildfire Blackgold
    Northstar Northwind Solo Blacklite
    Northstar Magic Blacklite

cheers DC - wasn't worried about it, just have no reference, that's all!

Default Updates to Yukons

Have made a few updates to the Yukons

Have posted pics of the stand and legs in the gear section which some may find useful.

The front bar on the latest batch of HD models may or may not be a good idea. It's a bit fiddly to put in but does make things more rigid. It does also reduce the room to slide wood onto the fire so you have to split it some more or lift the pan off to fit bigger chunks in. I'm hoping the slots in the sides can used to fashion a joiner to clip two boxes securely together for a Loch Ard special.

I'll probably retrofit these to any LW boxes I send out too by simply cutting a slot down from the top. If any existing owners want one I am happy to send them out for just the post and packing fees.

The latest boxes also have a slightly thinner ash tray- 1.2mm on the HD and 1mm on the LW model.

I am also trying to sort out some stands in titanium and some Ti top plates but this does take a bit of negoatiation on price.

Thanks for all the orders and feedback. I'm pleased folk have taken on the concept. Everytime I come to a camp sot and dont see a blackend fire circle it makes me feel good

Chris

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

Just received mine from Alan (Horizon Adventures) and can't wait to blacken it up. Was so excited I celebrated by ordering a top plate.
    Leone_blanco

Chris, with regards to a larger box, wouldn't it be better to use two boxes together instead of one?

You can configure the two together however is most efficient for the situation. Back to back, side by side, or spread apart. We use two that are different sizes. Smaller for solo or lightweight trips and the large for groups or base camping.

Here's an example of us taking both of our homemade fireboxes and keeping warm by having two heat sources. One is 12x18x8 and the other is 9x12x8. Enough to keep us toasty at -8C.

I also think that you should keep the front open as a lot of radiant heat would be lost otherwise. I find if I prop up the back of the stove a couple of inches you can aim that heat down to the ground where those cold toes are. I guessing that the radiant heat spectrum is from 15deg-135deg when the stove is level. Propping it up in the back changes it to 0-120deg.

Anyways...you're right about the concept. It's an awesome one. I've got people over here buying or making their own now too. Not an easy feat with us Northern hillbillies.

Keep it up!
    Canoeheadted.

Yes, I prefer two boxes though I am hoping to get some longer sides cut out soon.

On a recent bivi we had two boxes on the go and this allowed us to one run one at full blaze whilst the other was used on a low heat for cooking. As coals became avilable on the first box we transferred them across to the second.

I have some very thin polished stainless that I might try as a heat reflector behind the boxes to throw more warmth back into camp.

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

Quote Originally Posted by LAS247 View Post
    ...Was so excited I celebrated by ordering a top plate.
    I had no idea you were in need of a toupee. Sorry, just re-read that. So not a covering for a depleted pate.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

Question Lightweight or heavy duty?

I am thinking of ordering a Yukon very soon. Any thoughts on the pros & cons of Lightweight versus Heavy Duty. I tend towards the lightweight, as I may even take it backpacking occasionally, as well as canoeing (this is, I admit, quite possible a pipedream). However, I do tend to be fairly abusive to my kit, so maybe the HD is the one!? Won't get used every weekend, more likely to be a few times a year job. Saying that, I may get a few pyro tendencies & end up sitting in the garden with it all summer..........

Decisions, decisions! I guess what I'm asking is how delicate is the lightweight?

Whichever it is, I'll need a top plate too, looks great for the old Kelly Kettle.

Getting excited about using it in Scotland this spring/summer already.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Get both no problems

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    I am thinking of ordering a Yukon very soon. Any thoughts on the pros & cons of Lightweight versus Heavy Duty. I tend towards the lightweight, as I may even take it backpacking occasionally, as well as canoeing (this is, I admit, quite possible a pipedream). However, I do tend to be fairly abusive to my kit, so maybe the HD is the one!? Won't get used every weekend, more likely to be a few times a year job. Saying that, I may get a few pyro tendencies & end up sitting in the garden with it all summer..........

Decisions, decisions! I guess what I'm asking is how delicate is the lightweight?

Whichever it is, I'll need a top plate too, looks great for the old Kelly Kettle.

Getting excited about using it in Scotland this spring/summer already.
    We no nah fink

Quote Originally Posted by tisme View Post
    Get both no problems

Would be good to get some feedback on the light model with the front cross peice. Worthwhile or a waste of time?

Chris
    Last edited by Chris Randall; 30th-January-2010 at 09:44 AM. Reason: syntax!

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

Default It works!

Tried out my firebox on Sunday, for a nice round of bacon butties. Soon learnt to use smallish twigs to get it going before adding slightly larger bits, but was impressed with the efficiency. Bacon tasted much better than cooked at home indoors!

Top plate now arrived, so will be testing that too this weekend. Great product & great service Chris!

In action;

Happy customers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Bacon tasted much better than cooked at home indoors!
    I second that, the bacon butties were lovely. Excellent bit of kit. Saving up my pennies so I can order one myself now....
    A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro665 View Post
    I second that, the bacon butties were lovely. Excellent bit of kit. Saving up my pennies so I can order one myself now....
    Hang on a minute, its not just bacon that tastes better.............

Coffee tastes better too!

Cheers
    Tim
    Cheers
    Tim

Paddles a Prospector

Hello Chris

Thanks for the quick delivery on the Yukon, I'll be out annoying the neighbors later playing with the new toy

I do however have to say, you have a nasty sense of humour (and I like it ).

Picture the scene, we have a little lady post person who is delivering the mail by foot complete with her shoulder bag. In this bag with all the mail is the Yukon, which is a tad on the heavy side wrapped in Amazon.co.uk packaging. She must have thought, that is one heavy book

Joe
    SF Peterborough 14'
    weighs 7 Stone! 44.5kg
    Bell Yellowstone (so light)

I'll got some 40mm thick steel plate left over from a job Joe......I'll knock you up a Yukon out of that, now that will make the post lady lean somewhat to one side

Davy

Thanks, Chris,

Dinner tonight off the new Yukon was great. The top plate spreads the heat so rice cooking didn't stick at all, then took it off to cook kebabs. A few people seem to have used grills so I am now looking for one although the top plate may do that job as well. I will need to reduce the ammount of fuel I use as it generates plenty of heat.

John

First burning.... with the kelly kettle on the top plate for a brew, which was then followed by a full meal in 2 pans.

The following morning (camera propped up on the ice covered canoe)

Breakfast on the go....

One of the things that I was particularly pleased about, was that all of the wood burned down to ash when I had finished. Just some ash dust left and no unburnt pieces of wood.

I bought the whole package of firebox, stand and top plate. Perfect! And It left absolutely zero indication on the ground that I had been there. I will never make a trip without it!

Rod

Default firebox

hi chris just bought a yukon from your website.cheers, looking forward to firing it up!!

cheers, ed

Quote Originally Posted by paddlesaway View Post
    hi chris just bought a yukon from your website.cheers, looking forward to firing it up!!

cheers, ed
    Thanks

posted today so will probably be with you Saturday if all goes to plan.

Chris

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

Chris

I guess you are not going to be able to supply these, once you've moved to Canada?

Is is a question of get your order in quick...what is the timeframe?

Savanna, Illinois USA-on the banks of the Mississippi River

and to look at it a different way, will you be continuing once in Canada and posting to the US? And yes, to tell the time frame
    Regards,
    Mike

Hmm..

I have a cunning plan...

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

Hi Chris,

I dont know whether it is just me using Firefox but I am struggling with your sales web page. None of the "add to cart" buttons line up and I keep getting the wrong product copied into the Paypal cart.

I am pretty sure I can work out which button does what by trial and error and a bit of counting but I am adding one of your stoves and a top plate to my birthday list for my dear SWMBO to choose from.

I am having visions of her throwing the laptop around in frustration

Cheers,

Stu

Quote Originally Posted by stuey View Post
    Hi Chris,

I dont know whether it is just me using Firefox but I am struggling with your sales web page. None of the "add to cart" buttons line up and I keep getting the wrong product copied into the Paypal cart.

I am pretty sure I can work out which button does what by trial and error and a bit of counting but I am adding one of your stoves and a top plate to my birthday list for my dear SWMBO to choose from.

I am having visions of her throwing the laptop around in frustration

Cheers,

Stu
    Ooh Err!

Just tried with Firefox and it worked OK. Try clearing the cache and opening again? I'm not really sure what that means but that's what Sunadal always tells me to do with the OCA website when it won't work. If problems continue get her to drop me an email with what you want and I'll sort it out. Sorry for the problems.

Chris

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

Hi Chris,

Just tried clearing everything and it still looks funny... even your web page

I reckon it is something to do with my browser and the way it decides it wants to do things..... beyond my comprehension and patience

I may suggest I sit with her when she orders it all else goodness knows what I will get

Thanks,

Stu

hi chris, just received my firebox today, looks a cracker job, looking forward to trying it out soon

After months of umming and arring I've finally got myself one ordered. I got a bit carried away at the checkout though and ordered myself the fancy pants one.

Looking forward to getting it blacked up
    Rich

Thumbs up That's me "yukon'd up"!

Just ordered mine, plus the kettle top and stand

Ooh! can't wait! yet more woodsmoke to pee off the "barbeque king " next door

Oh...and er.......cooking slap up scoff, while out and about of course

atb

Steve

Now paddling Either a Gumotex Palava 400 Or a Gumotex Solar Pro 410c and LOVING IT!

I also have decided that with the hot summer months ahead the Yukon is the way forward - albeit the lightweight for me - with plate. Order placed Chris, look forward to using it at Wimbleball Chris
    Chris

'tis the gift to be simple, tis the gift to be free Simple Gifts

Thumbs up Fantastic!

Just recieved my new Yukon , cooked lunch and a brew to test and I am very impressed.

One thing I will do to the firebox sleeve is to add a small velcro fastened pouch to keep the
    4 small pins safe.

Great piece of kit and thanks for the very fast delivery.

I've got a Royal Mail slip to say there's a parcel for me over at number 7.

They're not in though
    Rich

Default The flames, the flames!

Hah!

postie turfed me out of bed at 11.55am, ( I was nightshift last night) I've been testing mine since about 12.30pm

Very impressive piece of kit, actually bigger than expected, making it even more capable from my point of view.

Burns really well, leaving only fine wood ash.

All in all; an excellent piece of kit and I'm really pleased I finally took the plunge and aquired one

Oh and very speedy delivery too

cheers

Steve

Now paddling Either a Gumotex Palava 400 Or a Gumotex Solar Pro 410c and LOVING IT!

Default Sexy titanium bits!

A couple of folk have been on to me for a while about a titanium top plate but it's taken me a while to find a bit of the riight grade and thickness to make it worthwhile.

I finally gave in and bought a bit of 0.7mm off e-bay (got stiffed on the postage though!) and have made a couple, one of which is definitely sold, the other will probably go at the OCA Rally. Unfortunately there wasn't enough to make more, but the piece was just big enoug to cut two "half-tops" from. These are, just like the name says, about half the size of the normal top plate- big enough to hold a kelly kettle at the back of the stove whilst allowing you to cook on the front as per normal.

I'm asking £12.50 inc postage etc. each and as they say on the TV when it's gone it's gone!

I'll bring them to the rally if folk would like to see one.

I can take a picture but don't want to fire it up and reduce its value!

Chris

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

PM sent Chris.....was going to leave steel top at home to save plane baggage weight on trip to Sweden next month.....can collect.....Dick

what order would you put these stoves together in?

i see that the back plate slides down on the side plates but also has holes for the bottom plates to slot into, but these bottom plates also have to slot sideways into the side plates???

seems like a catch 22

Default Me too Me too Me too

Chris
    I should like a half-top please, if available. If so pm your PP details and I'll send the money, or post acheque if you wish?
    Alan
    Went the day well?

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeast View Post
    what order would you put these stoves together in?

i see that the back plate slides down on the side plates but also has holes for the bottom plates to slot into, but these bottom plates also have to slot sideways into the side plates???

seems like a catch 22
    Easy with practice!

Slot sides into back plate and slide down. Tilt the three pieces backwards and spread the sides apart. Slot the two base pieces into the back. Bring one side up onto the base plates. I place a finger between the base plates to help get the right separation.

If you have the earliest version of the new front piece. This should then be inserted into the side before bringing the remaining side up onto all the tabs and sliding the front down to lock into place!

The latest versions are simpler as the front piece slots on last from the top.

Chris

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

Ok thankyou, i started to assume the only way it can be done is by having a little room to move with the pieces (i.e. being able top spread the sides apart)

Just to clarify, i'm not a total idiot who has one and can't figure it out, i was intrigued by the pictures.

Just put my shiny new Yukon together!!

Superb bit of kit Chris thank you very much!!

It slotted together dead easily even with me in an utterly hungover state this morning

Going out for birthday beers the night before your birthday is a stupid idea as I now feel as rough as a badgers and am struggling..... well just struggling really!!

Hoping the clouds lift so I can cook my lunch on it

Thank you Chris.. top stove and really nicely presented!

Stu

Thanks Chris - picked up the parcel from the post office today and will be out to blacken it up nicely this weekend.

Dave

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast