Beam 34"
    Bow Height 23"
    Rocker 2 "
    Capacity 1000 lbs

Fiberglass 69 lbs
    Everteck 59 lbs
    Kevlar 49 lbs

Makers Write Up
    Canoeing guru Bill Mason expressed it best, "The 16' Prospector is the finest all round canoe...period." Our Prospector is no different.
    Called "the most classical paddling Prospector" by Canoe and Kayak Magazine is a classically designed all purpose canoe for intermediate and experienced paddlers. It is well suited for both tandem and solo paddling. It delivers excellent performance under all sorts of conditions, loads, and water types. Seasoned paddlers will cherish the Prospector's responsiveness, predictability, and its tremendous secondary stability. The Prospector is available in two lengths and choice of trim packages and materials.

love it need i say more it's fantastic to paddle and i think quite good in the wind, great on the river and well put together.

I've had mine a while now and really like it, it does exactly what you'd expect of a prospector, Its got enough rocker to turn it when you need to, its stable to give confidence in a bit of chop or gin palace wash. its not too wide its light and and well made. Add this to your list alonside the usual suspects if its a prospector you want.

I had a short paddle in Dans yesterday and can cofirm what he says. Light and well put together. On the water it tracked well, but has sufficient rocker to turn tightly when leaned.
    definately one to add to the list if your looking for that style of boat.

Mike
    To every opinion there is always an equal and opposite opinion.
    (Newtons fourth law)

Default Sharp inside edge on gunwhale

I have a 16 footer Evergreen Prospector and the inside edge of the gunwhale is sharp, can cut through rope and gash your hand like I did by dropping it during a lift. The Prospector is tops with me, but not Evergreen. Also, the wood pieces were assembled prior to finishing, and the ends were not finished, allowing moisture to soak under the finish and blacken the wood with mould. The fibrelgass-kevlar layup separated along the chines. The hull shape and trim are great, but it needs a security eyebolt low in the bow and stern for chaining, and for lining. Evergreen needs to up their quality.

I have a kevlar prospector and can't fault it. Yes it comes unsealed, and I like that. You can do it the way you want. My gunwales are wood, and as smooth as a babys bottom. Not really sure it's a manufacturers responsibility to put in security eye bolts?

Default Evergreen Prospector

Like NickJ, I too have a kevlar Evergreen Prospector which is very well put together in all respects bar the 'micky mouse' staples used to secure the seat webbing.

Paul

Default Responsibility?

Quote Originally Posted by NickJ View Post
    I have a kevlar prospector and can't fault it. Yes it comes unsealed, and I like that. You can do it the way you want. My gunwales are wood, and as smooth as a babys bottom. Not really sure it's a manufacturers responsibility to put in security eye bolts?
    No, it's not a manufacturer's responsibility to add options, but Nova Craft adds the lining eyebolts which can be used for security, and that's one more reason my next canoe, I am sure, will be a Nova Craft. If the wood pieces come unsealed, that's fine, a buyer knows that and can do whatever they wish, but when they appear to be sealed and are not, that's either deception or shoddy workmanship.

I think to use words like "deception" is rather OTT to say the least. If anything, they're guilty of not being explicit about it, nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by NickJ View Post
    I think to use words like "deception" is rather OTT to say the least. If anything, they're guilty of not being explicit about it, nothing more.
    Deception can be deliberate or accidental. Evergreen promotes itself as a quality canoe company, so they should ensure quality. I guess having paid $1,700 for the canoe, I feel I have a right to go over the top. If I'd paid $200 there would be no complaints.

Default Pet hate.

It is a problem that afflicts other manufacturers and is a pet hate of mine. I have seen it on a Nova Craft and a Venture boat. Very glossy yoke / thwart but no sealing of the cut end of the wood and the screw hole close to the end on one side. None of which is obvious without dismantling. Annoyingly you only know this when it has rotted and the end splits and you have dropped the canoe...

Mutter... mutter....

Default Evergreen hull ID #

Does anyone have any knowledge of the Evergreen hull ID #'s.

I recently purchased a used Prospector and I am attempting to determine what it is made of? The person I bought it from thought it was fiberglass but there is a very small scratch in the hull and I can see some sort of white foam. I believe it is a Royalex boat but also have some suspicions that it is an Evertek boat. It looks identical to the canoe pictured in this thread.

I contacted Evergreen and they have given me no response at all. I just want to know what the boat is made of so I can learn how to care for, maintain and repair properly.

If any one knows how to decipher an Evergreen hull ID # the hull # is QEVRXO55M99E.
    Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I'm not sure about ID'ing evertek/royalex but I can help with ruling out Fibreglass. The interior on a fibreglass one will have a woven type texture and you will also be able to see where the sheets of cloth were joined on the interior. Als the fibre glass one have bouyancy built in at either end.

Got an Evergreen prospector in Rx, serial no QEVEV67M08H. No idea if the serial no's have any significance! Rx boats have a white expanded foam core which can be seen when the coloured vinyl layer wears away.

Dunmail

Since there's been mention of the Nova Craft prospector, I'd like to expand a bit on the difference between the two. The most obvious being that the Nova Craft is two inches wider. It's a better boat for long trips. Those two little inches make a lot more room for gear and supplies. Your sealines will fit into the widest part of the boat cross ways. In the Evergreen most have to go lengthwise. But Evergreen while a little more cramped is faster and more maneuverable. The Evergreen makes a much nicer solo boat. One person can spin it on a dime. The group I go with, people are always borrowing my Evergreen after supper to take out for a solo recreational paddle. It's the best boat in our group for that, and there is a 16 foot Novacraft as part of the group. It's also the boat we take when we have an odd number of people and one of us has to solo. If we can squeeze somebody in to a kayak we do that. If there's too much gear for the kayak, we take the Evergreen.

My Evergreen looks real beat up. I didn't know it until to late but it takes the Royalex a year or so to cure after manufacture. I used to live near the factory, so I ordered mine and picked it up the day it came from the factory. My son borrowed it the next week and took it down the Pettawawa River in ALgonquin Park. It got many dents and scratches that it wouldn't have, had we waited 6 months before bouncing it off the rocks. He was breaking in a new bow paddler, and apparently they missed a couple of eddy turns.

As far as I know, both Evergreen and Novacraft bought old prospectors to use as the forms for their industrial layups.. so which design is the "real prospector" is a topic of wild debate, although the debate tends to favor the Novacraft design as being most true to the original. After all, Prospectors were the freighters of the Parks and forest service. They were working boats.

As to what your boat is made of, climb a ladder and drop a sledge hammer on it. If it goes through it's a fiberglass. If it bounces off it's a Royalex... just kidding... really, don't try this at home.
    Last edited by normhead; 18th-April-2010 at 04:33 PM. Reason: typos

Did I mention this is a great solo boat? Ten mile lake near Eliot Lake , Ontario, Canada. My friend John taking his turn to paddle solo.

Is that the "Kevin Callan Was Marooned Here" island I see?

When I paddled there it was calm like that picture. Apparantly Kevin got in trouble with the god Thor.

Default Great canoe

I like them. They are a bit smaller than the NovaCrafts and subsequently a bit more lively but with less capacity. Similar to Wenonah, and Bell, and these three seem closest to the original. Esquif is a bit more rockered and more playful, but with less capacity than the Novacraft, and less flatwater manners than the Evergreen, Bell, and Wenonah.