Thread: New canoe/kayak wanted

Default New canoe/kayak wanted

Hi chaps, what I am after is a new versatile craft that I can use in the sea, rivers, canals etc. I already own an open canoe but I am after something for one person that is nice and light to handle, but can maybe store enough kit for one nights camp. I am into nature watching and photography too so I would like it to be fairly stable.
    What would you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance.

SWMBO has a Dagger Blackwater 10.5 expedition, it is classed as a recreational boat, it has a drop down skeg and a rear deck hatch with a sealed bulk head. She has canoe camped in it and took it in the sea paddled rivers and canals. It is both stable and has a good turn of speed. Google it we like it.
    cheers
    Tim.
    Cheers
    Tim

Paddles a Prospector

I used to have a wilderness systems pamlico 120 in green which was stable, easy to handle, very very comfortable with a large cockpit for accessing stuff on your lap. It also easily has enough space for an overnight camp too. I always thought it would make the ideal platform for photograhy.

Never tried it in the sea though but would definatly be o.k for lakes and estuaries

The next up inthe range also supposed to be very good is the pungo

See this for pamlico

This for the Pungo

I'd also consider one of the native watercraft kayaks

Default Perception Arcadia

I've got a Perception Acadia Expedition touring kayak. It's just under 12', is very stable and has a very large cockpit. Plenty of room in the rear hatch for kit. I used to paddle it a lot and was very happy with it, and then I discovered open canoes!

Hi
    We use easky kayaks for the club which is based next to the sea.These boats are very stable comfortable and if you plan a overnighter there is plenty of room in the 2 storage compartments. I have paddled them in sea,river,lakes and had no problem. you can also turn them easily.
    http://www.venturekayaks.com/page1.php?Page=67
    I found them reasonably priced and bombproof,if not a little on the heavy side but no problem with a trolley
    Leeroy
    Its not rocket science Mr Robinson

Thanks for the replies everyone, there are some interesting boats there for me to look at. I don't want to be using a trolley to be honest, that's partly why I'm going for something smaller, I want it as light as possible. I should have pointed out my budget, approx 700.

Perception Acadia
    Dagger Approach (more for moving water)
    or up a peg to
    Perception Carolina
    Dagger Charlston

all 4 are good in exped specs,

Dagger boats have drop down skegs, Peception boats are moulded 'skeg' for tracking fewer moving parts.

Approach is short at 10ft more manoeverable massive cockpit the slowest of the 4 it is the most manouverable in tight spots

Acadia great primary stabilty good tracking. feels very stable but slow

both the above have a rear bulkhead and will need airbags in the bow to make rescues easier

on the sea i would look at these below as they have front and rear bulkheads making for more storage and more bouyancy in an upset. they are not full on sea boats they are tourers so not up to long open crossings or multi day as they compromise speed for stability and some manouverability

Charlston is quite manouverable skeg is useful to improve tracking i am not sure on stability as Although we have 6 i have not paddled one yet!

Carolina is excellent tracking, good primary stability Ok secondary stabilty ok on sheltered tidal waters but not quite a full sea boat.

if you can afford it look at the Charlston and carolina as they really are a step up from the arcadia. the Approach is alltogether different and worth a look.

if i had to pick one it would probably be the carolina but i have yet to try a charlston!

I am with teespaddler on this one, but I would rate the Dagger Approach 10 as being a pretty much all round boat for what you have said you want to do, the Carolina and Charleston could be a bit long for rivers more than Grade II, the Arcadia you could get away with, just.

Cheers

Graeme
    SWWC the way forward

Coaching for skills and performance

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Canoe View Post
    Dagger Approach 10 as being a pretty much all round boat for what you have said you want to do,
    Cheers

Graeme
    we tried the Approach but the Blackwater was by far the most comfortable and at 469 way below budget. We feel it is a boat you can paddle all day, my wife paddled the upper Severn in hers no problem.

The best bet is try before you buy.
    Cheers
    Tim.
    Cheers
    Tim

Paddles a Prospector

Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    we tried the Approach but the Blackwater was by far the most comfortable and at 469 way below budget. We feel it is a boat you can paddle all day, my wife paddled the upper Severn in hers no problem.

The best bet is try before you buy.
    Cheers
    Tim.
    I'm with Tim on this one. The Blackwater ticks all boxes. I think that you will be impressed once you have tried it.

The best way to describe it is like a mini sea kayak. Good tracking, some storage, a comfortable paddle.

One point though. Make sure you get a spraydeck that fits. Dagger boats have a cockpit rim which favours certain decks better than other. For example, a gasket seal is generally better on a Dagger than a thick shock cord type.

Hope this helps
    Keltoi and associates - The sick and the wrong!

Cant vouch for paddling it,but checked out the Native Watersport Ultimate and it looked really good.

See it here

Specs show it very light and a good compromise between canoe and kayak.
    Options for all kinds of accessories on a special fitting system.
    I really fancy one for fishing but will have to sell off a load of stuff to afford one.

GS
    If at first you dont succeed ,pay someone who knows what they are doing

Quote Originally Posted by Keltoi View Post
    I'm with Tim on this one. The Blackwater ticks all boxes. I think that you will be impressed once you have tried it.

One point though. Make sure you get a spraydeck that fits. Dagger boats have a cockpit rim which favours certain decks better than other. For example, a gasket seal is generally better on a Dagger than a thick shock cord type.

Hope this helps
    We had a cheap nylon spraydeck that fitted ok in the shop but after a while it seemed to have shrunk making it a pig to put on, we plumbed for a Reed spraydeck exellent piece of kit packs down small and fits a treat.
    Cheers
    Tim
    Cheers
    Tim

Paddles a Prospector

Default choice

Hi dirty Carlos. I think the perfect canoe/kayak for you would be the Klepper a single seater is for sale now on ebay now, packs into a bag, fits in the boot,worth a look,german made,I am planning on a 2 saeter myself. SAS use them, say no more.but do look. be safe. bigH.

I know this is an Open Canoe forum and also that some people don't regard Sit on Tops as serious kayaks (so please don't flame me!) but as I can't roll a kayak and am worried about having to self rescue I use an Ocean Kayaks Scupper Pro TW (Tank Well version) Sit on Top kayak on the sea for cruising/touring (also for flat water in hot weather when it is cooler than a sit in kayak) and can thoroughly recommend it. It's abilities have made it a long time favourite of kayak anglers.

It is stable, reasonably fast, tracks well (can also be fitted with a rudder) has a tank well in the rear (with straps originally designed to hold scuba tanks) which will take dry bags and a hatch in the front which will easily take enough gear for overnighting. If you should capsize it is easy to remount and is completely self draining through scupper holes. In calmer weather or on flat water you can fit scupper plugs for a drier ride. You can also stretch your legs more than a sit in kayak (even stand up if you have good balance) and get in and out more easily. Thigh straps can be fitted to give you more control in surf, white water. The downside is that you don't get the protection of a cockpit/spraydeck around your lower half so unless it is warm weather and you have fitted the scupper plugs then you will probably need to at least wear waterproof trousers so not the best cold weather/winter boat.

I also have a sit in kayak based on the same hull (the OK Si 149 Pro but they have stopped making this now) which is cosier/drier in colder weather and has both front and rear hatches for storage but loses the ease of self rescue/self draining/leg stretching capabilities of the Sit On Top so I am too chicken to take it on the sea/white water.

Neither of these are super quick turning so not really suitable for more than gentle white water and are more touring biased.

I also have a shorter much more manoueverable (but very stable) Perception Scooter SOT for surfing (fitted with thigh straps) - this also has a rear tank well for storage and you can fit a small front hatch. Slower than the Scupper Pro and with less gear capacity but a great fun, versatile, do almost anything, Sit On Top (I had a great time exploring the Helford River and creeks in it - no problem taking photos). It is reasonably light and very cheap to buy (also available as the Feel Free Nomad which appears to be identical to the Scooter MK1 but with hatches fitted as standard). You could buy both a Scupper Pro AND a Scooter within your budget!

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by nbroadsman View Post
    I know this is an Open Canoe forum and also that some people don't regard Sit on Tops as serious kayaks (so please don't flame me!)
    Regards,
    You do yourself an injustice my friend. The important thing is that you are out there giving it a go, enjoying yerself, regardless of your boat choice.

I used to be a tight ass kayaking purist, turn my nose up at anything that wasn't white water and tight fitting.

After a while you realise you should be encouraging anyone who is "giving it a go" or "doing their thing".

Keltoi and associates - The sick and the wrong!

I would recommend you consider a sea kayak, don't let the term "sea" put you off, they work well on flat water too.
    Exactly what you go for will be a compromise between it's ability to handle twisting shallow rivers and rough sea waves.
    If you already have a Canadian I'd go for a Kayak as your second boat.

Default Altenative Canoe

Hi, I have just bought myself a New Model Feel free Nomad, and absolutley love it, it may not be the most obvious choice for you but at 20kgs with a side handle for carrying i can carry my paddle in one hand boat in the other, only used it for the first time Sunday. Handles well on is nice and easy to paddle. Apart from the storage area at the back there isn't lots of storage. But i also have a Canadian Canoe and camp, we tend to use dry bags. I started thinking when paddling along, i could attach a dry bag to the front as there is quite a large area. Depending on how much you are taking, we tend to forgo the tent for a tarp or bivi bag, i think i could get everything on, obviously the more room you need the bigger the boat, then you need two people, starts to defeat the object a bit then. Paid 319 for the basic boat. I have only used it once but the freedom to paddle alone is great! Will still use the Canadian though!

Default Kayak

Ive just bought a perception contour,sounds as if it maybe what your after.
    Ive hade her out only on flat water but appears to be very stable and easy to use,also with 2 large hatches.
    Cant wait to get into the sea.
    Soloman.
    It is not that I object to the work, mind you; I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.
    Jerome.K.Jerome