Thread: Moosehead Peterborough

Default Moosehead Peterborough

Makers Spec

Makers Writeup
    The 16ft Peterborough is one of the all-time classic canoe designs originating in Ontario in the 1880s. It has a beam of 32 and a depth of 11. It has a round bottom and modest rocker. We chose this design because it is a fast, attractive canoe that has enough volume for tripping for two, but not so much freeboard as a Prospector, which unless well laden, is apt to catch the wind. Also, the Prospector looks a little boxy to some tastes. If the Prospector is the Workhorse of the North, then the Peterborough is the Thoroughbred.

I have one of these graceful racehorses, the canoe that inspired my user name, and it is a rare experience to paddle. I am not sure if Graham is taking commissions anymore, but if he is, then bite his hand off. I would be really interested to know if anyone else has one as well (apart from Graham)

Last edited by Perthshire Wood Canvas; 4th-March-2009 at 02:30 PM.
    PWC

as someone who is actively looking for a wood and canvas boat at the moment, can I say what a lovely she is!

Should be green of course, but nevertheless still lovely!

Regards.

Alan L.

She looks stunning in the red. What's like when you kneel to paddle on those ribs?

You need a kneeling pad (I use an Aiguille). On the plus side, you don't slide forward. Rawhide seats impart "waffle-butt" but look the business.
    PWC

Moosehead have a new(er) web page

http://homepages.tesco.net/~moosehea...%20canoes.html

I am posting here so I can find it next time I need it (in Oct09 Google doesnt find it very easily)

Graham does still build the Peterborough, but he also offers use of his strongback to build your own . . . and he only lives a few minutes from me . . .

Tose are great looking boats ,but peterborough was a maker of canoes that built many differnt styles,see link here
    http://dragonflycanoe.com/id/
    nothing against what look like great boats just a little bit of knowlegde for canoe buffs

Very interesting - I wonder which one Graham's strong-back represents ?

NS
    PWC

PWC

Clearly missed this thread last year.That's a great looking canoe ! Bet you keep that beauty just for flatwater ; no hauling it up river banks and over fences

A real gem !
    Bandy

CLICK THE LINK TO THE SCOTTISH CANOE TRIPS CHANNEL FOR VIDEOS OF MY TRIPS : http://www.youtube.com/user/bandy598

Default Waffle seats

Quote Originally Posted by Perthshire Wood Canvas View Post
    You need a kneeling pad (I use an Aiguille). On the plus side, you don't slide forward. Rawhide seats impart "waffle-butt" but look the business.
    Hi, those seats look really good, I also have a wood canvas canoe (although not from the same maker) are they comfy? I am in the process of changing the seats, and they may be a possibility
    Steve
    "Access all areas, Under the radar"

Quote Originally Posted by Bandy View Post
    PWC

Clearly missed this thread last year.That's a great looking canoe ! Bet you keep that beauty just for flatwater ; no hauling it up river banks and over fences

A real gem !
    Yes - that's why I'm not fussy about my Novacraft Prospector !

Quote Originally Posted by TOPTEC View Post
    Hi, those seats look really good, I also have a wood canvas canoe (although not from the same maker) are they comfy? I am in the process of changing the seats, and they may be a possibility
    Steve
    I find them pretty comfy but haven't subjected they to extended test as I usually use the kneeling thwart; they are supposed to impart waffle-butt over the long term.... I didn't do them myself - Graham did (Moosehead on this forum) so he could advise further

PWC
    PWC

Quote Originally Posted by Perthshire Wood Canvas View Post
    Very interesting - I wonder which one Graham's strong-back represents ?

NS

My design is the standard 16ft x 32" x 12" model that was produced by the Peterborough Canoe Co (and forerunners) with little modification from around 1888 until at least 1941. It was their most popular model having the "size, proportions and shape considered an optimum compromise to satisfy most canoeists looking for a general purpose canoe". When I was looking into the origin of the design, I received a very nice letter from Gerry Stephenson (grandson of John Stephenson one of the original Peterborough builders and holder of the original patents), which filled in some of the historical details. The design figured in the catalogue of the Ontario Canoe Company (which in time became the Peterborough Canoe Company) as Model no 44, and cost $50. It became Model 604 by the 1909 Peterborough Catalogue, and Model 1427 "The Canadien" by 1941. The earlier canoes had numbers rather than model names apparently because most canoes at that time were given names by their owners that were painted on (this could be done in the factory if desired). The 32" beam model was advertised as being suitable for "avid" canoeists whereas the wider 34-36" flat-bottomed models were considered more suitable for ladies and children.

Thanks Graham - very interesting indeed.

Your gunwales look better cared for than mine - how are you keeping them in such nice shape ?

PWC
    PWC