Thread: Sewing Machines

Default Sewing Machines

Quote Originally Posted by FOGGY View Post
    Hi Guys and Girls,

I have got my hands on an old singer sewing machine, it needs a bit of repair work done on it, so, anyone know where I could take it for a bit of TLC... I am 30 mins from Newport, South Wales, so upto an hour travel from the M4 would be my limit...

Thanks
    Prompted by Foggy's post, I've just been given a Singer 427 sewing machine by a relative. Haven't tried it yet but it was hardly used and a couple of searches seem to indicate it's a decent machine.

I was going to have a go at some bits that might be useful for canoeing, stuff sacks etc and maybe even a sail

Does anybody else use a sewing machine to make anything canoe related stuff, if so what? Or do you have any suggestions for something easy to start off with?

How about a paddle bag? That's what my first project is going to be on Mr Nick's recently refurbished machine.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by elveys View Post
    Does anybody else use a sewing machine to make anything canoe related stuff, if so what? Or do you have any suggestions for something easy to start off with?
    I have a Singer 201K and a 1920 Singer Industrial sewing machine (for canvas and leather). I've made a number of things, packs, tents, tarps, over the years. Handy to have and nice to know how to use.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Journal Entries

I've made some canvas bags / slip cases for fireboxes and folding saws. A messenger style bag and small foraging bag are next on my list when I get time.