Thread: Very new

Default Very new

Hi there, i would like advice about everthing really! Have canoed only a few times but have loved it. What i would like to do is get in a boat with my family and off we go, however i have noooo knowledge at all. I also have two kids aged 6 and 2 so, i feel it could be a disaster is it safe for kids on a canoe? would love advice to fullfill dream, i think i may need training/lessons b4 we start, or for safety reasons may need to wait few years?
    Ta
    ps live on wirral sea and dee 5 mins away.

Default New Canoeist

Karen,

I've never trained anyone officially in canoeing, but I have taken lots of kids for rides at church socials and such.

The first thing I'd recommend is that you go ahead and get your canoe, but don't take the kids out until you've made your inital mistakes and start to feel comfortable. I know that it is not easy to get away for a stretch of time and leave the kids with grandma or a sitter, but I'd feel dicey about putting your kids in the boat when you're still wondering about what a J stroke is.

Jon

Default why not

Hi and welcome.

This takes me back to a thread I posted when my better half fell pregnant (alas it was not to be).

I worried it would put an end to our canoing.

The general feeling amongst other members was that small children should'nt pose a problem, and indeed many on this site regularly take trips with very young chilldren.

As mentioned before, get some practice in on your own first because at the ages you mention, you will effectively be doing most of the paddling anyway.

Try to meet with others for your first few trips with the kids so that help is allways close by.

As amember once stated "in some remote areas they still bring newborn babies home in a canoe"

Check out some of the bloggs and you will see plenty of future paddlers along for the ride, so it can be done with a little thought.

Have fun
    Thinking of ways to get the sack, so I can Canoe more often.

Thumbs up welcome

Hi and a warm welcome to the Forum, you have already been given some good advice in the posts before this,The only thing I will say is get professional tuition and when you are confident in your own ability and have confidence in your equipment, the rest will be easy your natural instincts as far as your children will take over, in the meantime Welcome and Happy PaddlingBill

Default Welcome

Good to have you along for the trip.

I think you should join up for some tuition and try before you buy. The people who work in kayak & canoe shops, tend to be paddlers themselves and will help you find the right kayak / canoe for your needs. As with many things, set a budget and stick to it. Also bare in mind, that you will need gear too, i.e paddle/s BA/PFDs for the paddler/s. And maybe airbags or solid floatation blocks for the canoe. If you want insurance, the British Canoe Union
    isn't the b-all and end-all but you get access to a whole bunch of knowledge, a licence to paddle canals etc. and some insurance all in one package.

When you're asking Qs at a shop, don't be afraid of sounding dumb. We all started out somewhere and it's easier to ask beforehand, than after you've bought and have a niggle about something.

'How long should the paddle / it's shaft be?' is a favourite and there are a number of different views on this. There are a number of 'Threads' knocking about on SOTP. Bouyancy Aid / Personal Floatation Device (BA/PFD) is a bit easier. Go for comfort and fit, (it has to fit, for it to help save a life but it needs to be comfy (a big / few small pockets come in handy too)).

Initial and secondary stability will be heard a lot. The former is a measure of how stable the hull is lying flat on the water. The latter is a measure of how stable the hull is, when you lean it to one side. Don't bother getting the tape measure out, stability is more about feel than gauges. Some hulls are undoubtedly more stable then others given a particular set of circumstances, (paddler/s, flat or whitewater, calm, windy, choppy, etc.).

Also, some canoes are best paddled tandem, or solo or can be a good match for both. Keep asking and try before you buy.

TGB
    Last edited by TGB; 14th-October-2008 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Less typos
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

Good reply TGB, a little longer than you're norm, but some very good advice.

Cheers

Graeme
    SWWC the way forward

Coaching for skills and performance

Quote Originally Posted by TGB View Post
    Keep asking and try before you buy.
    And remember to ask for a discount .

Welcome along to the site.
    There are plenty folk on here who paddle with young children (small babies in some instances) so don't let that put you off.

It may be a good Idea to practice a bit more on your own to get you confidence up, but if your doing sheltered flat(ish) water then so long as you have the feel of the canoe, (so that you don't have your heart in you mouth thinking it will capzise any moment) you should be fine with the kids as well. But remember they can add that extra bounce factor, which can be a bit un-nerving.

Ask away, any questions you like I'm sure everyone will be glad to help.
    'There is no wealth but life itself.'

Default Thankyou

Thankyou to everyone for taking time to reply, hubby and i off to book some tuition. Very exited!!

You might find this thread useful if you haven't already seen it. It also includes a reference to a book which a number of people have recommended in other posts called "Cradle to Canoe" by Rolf & Debra Kraiker.

As others have said your kids are old enough to go out in a canoe it is just a matter or getting a level of confidence yourself first. This will not take long and you will soon be able to go out as a family on safer waters to start with and build on that. Canal trips are a great starter as the bank is never too far away and they rarely have rapids
    John

Thumbs up BCU Training

You could try BCU 1 star course as a starter if there's somewhere local Canoe & kayak, but still worth it and it gets you on the water.

Best of luck

Welcome

Please note you have joined a website full of members who would love nothing more than take you out in one of their craft and possibly with the young ones.

Keep you eyes open for meets in your vacinity or simply let the site know which part of the world you live in and an invite may come forth from a few people who get together without always putting their get togethers on the site.

Sean
    Sean
    AKA Jammy
    [/U][/SIZE][/COLOR][/I][/COLOR][/FONT]