Thread: Open canoes in Exeter

Default Open canoes in Exeter

Question for anyone local to me.

I have seen on a couple of days now a group of red open canoes on the canal by the swingbridge in Exeter.

Does anyone know who they are?

Just curious (nosey) like

GS
    If at first you dont succeed ,pay someone who knows what they are doing

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

Are they boats on hire from "Saddles and Paddles" maybe?
    (or is it Paddles and Saddles, I can never remember - but it's the hire place on the quay).

I think the rowing club is in that hut beneath and just to the side of the swing bridge... seems like a good place to keep a 16ft red whatever...

I used to go over that bridge so often when visiting the RD&E when the guys were working on the road by the bridge. I used to chuckle to watch the digger driver wearing a lifejacket, I imagined the risk assessment that must have had a tick box <within 10m of water>

Although probably a lesson many could learn from.
    http://www.walk-dartmoor.blogspot.com/

That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest.

Quote Originally Posted by monkey_pork View Post
    Are they boats on hire from "Saddles and Paddles" maybe?
    (or is it Paddles and Saddles, I can never remember - but it's the hire place on the quay).
    Hi MP
    I don't think so as far as I know all their canoes are green. It looked like a group under tuition or a club,just thought it was strange on a weekday,unless it was kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamus View Post
    I think the rowing club is in that hut beneath and just to the side of the swing bridge... seems like a good place to keep a 16ft red whatever...

I used to go over that bridge so often when visiting the RD&E when the guys were working on the road by the bridge. I used to chuckle to watch the digger driver wearing a lifejacket, I imagined the risk assessment that must have had a tick box <within 10m of water>

Although probably a lesson many could learn from.
    Shamus
    YHPM

Found the answer!

I was so nosey that I decided to stop and ask,and it was a group doing instructor training.

After a little chat about my Grumman project (not everyone hates them) conversation got around to SoTP and I found that I was talking to Kitty from this very forum.

I am considering some training before I finish my canoe so I may book some thing with that company.

So as I said my curiousity has been satisfied

GS

Thanks for starting this thread, I too spotted red canoe and trailer activity by the swing bridge on Thursday and Friday. I was thinking of stopping on Monday on the way home from work to see if it was ok to launch there. Great spot for an relaxing hour on the water in the early evening now the nights are drawing in a bit. The boat lives on the roof so I'm ready to go.

Yes you can launch there,as you can launch further up past Exminster.

If you turn left at roundabout head past Exminster to the next roundabout and turn left past the Swan and follow to the end there is a great launch spot there.

Handy for me as I live there

Gets a bit busy on sunny weekends though

GS

Thanks Gunslinger, I'll try it out tomorrow, perhaps I'll give Exminster a go later in the week if it stays nice (fair weather paddler!)
    On another Devon but completely unrelated issue: Does anyone now what has happened to all the dead wood in the river below Totnes weir? Doesn't really matter, just interested.
    Cheers
    Dan

I have been paddling in the bottom of there on a bout 4 occasions in the past month or so I hadnt even noticed dead wood??? Was it before the last big spate (last weekend) - if so I guess there lies your answer.

Actually, the canal may provide an interesting weekend's canoeing - down to Turf and pitch a tent, fiddle about in the Exe for a bit (Tide and wind permitting) have a few sherbets and paddle back to Exeter in the morning. I seem to remember doing that as a kid (not the few sherbets bit - we had sausage in a bun) - although we swapped from the Exe back to the canal half way through the morning, we had to wade under the M5 motorway bridge - errrrr you could say it was muddy. I used to take clients sailing up to Turf years ago but I always stayed on the cups of tea

Shamus
    I like the idea of camping and drinking then paddling back to Exeter the next day. Can you camp at Turf all year round?

There has been a whole dead tree in the middle of the river where the Hem meets the Dart for years as well as a couple of smaller pieces further upstream and a massive branch hooked up on Brutus Bridge. All gone on Sunday.
    Dan

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Landy Man View Post
    There has been a whole dead tree in the middle of the river where the Hem meets the Dart for years as well as a couple of smaller pieces further upstream and a massive branch hooked up on Brutus Bridge. All gone on Sunday.
    Dan
    The branch hooked up on the bridge is fairly recent, unless the huge bit that was just upstream on the Bridgetown side had moved down and got snarled in the bridge.

As you've said, that tree opposite the Hems has been in the river pretty much as long as I can remember, so I'd guess time's just caught up with it, and the amount of soaking and drying out it gets could no longer resist a bit tide or heavy flow, and it's broken up... That was always a good spot for Cormorants, you'd often see them drying out and warming up sat there in the early sun.

Thats the problem with trees - they are so camouflaged I hardly ever notice. I must go around with my eyes shut. BTW I went out to buy some camouflage troussers the other day; I couldnt find any!!! boom boom.

Dan,

pm me with some contact details and I am sure we can arrange a tour de pubs via the canal.

Gunslinger... you too matey, I can always take a passenger in mine while yours is under restoration.

Oggie and Monkey Pork are invited too.... (in theory )