Thread: Canoe Days Out

Default Canoe Days Out

Canoe Focus magazine arrived last week and they had a small article about this site: http://www.canoedaysout.com/index.htm. It looks very new as there isn't much on it yet, but would undoubtedly benefit from more contributions.
    Of course no competition for SOTP .
    Matto

Ours was the marsh country, down by the river, within, as the river wound, twenty miles of the sea.

The idea is a good one; where to go, how to get there, and trip reports, but John covers that and so much more with SOTP. I built a website for canoe trips here in New Brunswick a few years ago but took it down. When you start telling people where to put in and take out at a river, it is only a matter of time before someone gets cranky because the water level changes from year to year and is too high or too low or they disagree with your advice or the portage trail you listed at 300 meters is really 312 meters...you spend more time writing disclaimers than trip reports.
    Lloyd

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug...

Hi. I am the owner of www.canoedaysout.com. It is a new site and was only launched at the start of this month but it has already grown to cover more than 40 suggested trips out.
    The site recognises that it will not appeal to everyone but there seems to be a large number of people, some of them relatively new to this pastime, who would benefit from suggestions from those with wider experience. So if you are able to pass on some of the information that you may have learned "the hard way" why not do it?
    canoedaysout.com is not trying to compete with anyone but there does seem to be an area of need for this type of information that is not adequately addressed currently.
    Please have a look at the site and either comment on the existing trips, submit new ones or make relevant suggestions on how you think the site can be improved. Thanks for your help.

Default Keep up the good work

Just had a look through some of your 'days out' in places I know well.
    Many congratulations. There are some great ideas here.
    The best point is that you have set it up to be a 'work in progress', so no doubt even more good ideas will flow in.
    Hopefully you and your people will find plenty of cross-fertilisation with SotP members, as both sites are obviously going to be complementary.

Default Excellent Site

This is very useful information... and a good style of presentation... congratulations...

Doug

Congratulations- very nice site.

I particularly like the clasification of 'days out' where you can order by county or waterway. Might I suggest that if you can extend this to tagging days out by type info such as 'easy day' long day' 'multi day with camping' 'flatwater' 'grade 1/2/3 etc' 'whitewater play area' etc. this would provide something a bit special.
    Happy paddling ,
    Rob.

Default Thanks for the suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by gwing View Post
    Congratulations- very nice site.

I particularly like the clasification of 'days out' where you can order by county or waterway. Might I suggest that if you can extend this to tagging days out by type info such as 'easy day' long day' 'multi day with camping' 'flatwater' 'grade 1/2/3 etc' 'whitewater play area' etc. this would provide something a bit special.
    Thanks for the suggestion Rob. I am wary of formal classifications because it depends so much on interpretation by the person submitting the trip. I have prefered to rely on the general desription and the photos for potential users to assess whether the trip is what they are looking for or not.

Thanks for the suggestion though
    Keith

Good Idea; I tried a similar website and getting too specific will generate hate mail. Water levels go up and down so much you would need a dedicated web cam to keep the info current. I tried to use a rating system of 1-10 for canoe routes but this was a bit to subjective. In the end I deleted the site to keep the mail bombs to a minimum.
    Lloyd

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug...