Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: logo/sticker

Default logo/sticker

i was on coniston the other week and saw quite a few open boaters. i later realised from what other sotp had written that i might have bumped into them without realising it. its seems stupid asking 'hey are you a sotp member' and you would feel daft if they didnt know what you were talking about and found you had nothing in common.
    it seems that there are a lot of members on sopt and it would be nice to recognise them on a chance meeting on the water.
    so how about a small descreet logo/sticker to put on our boats (optional of course).
    or am i just being a bit of a for suggesting it?

Journal Entries

Not silly. It has been suggested before. We even discussed a logo etc I think the thought was something along the same line as the site header but I have not got round to doing anything about it.

I can't say it will be soon but it is on the to do list.

Quote Originally Posted by andym0611 View Post
    its seems stupid asking 'hey are you a sotp member' and you would feel daft if they didnt know what you were talking about and found you had nothing in common.
    Just ask anyway. if they are in the same place as you & in an open canoe they have something in common with you.

As for feeling daft I got used to it years ago

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

I'm happy to make some enquiries if it's something we'd like to do ?

Not sure about order quantities or price vs number of colours and stuff, but I'm happy to do some research. The stickers that the local boat shops do for their own stuff seem to be pretty good, (but they'll be ordering loads I guess so probably get a good deal).

The original thread for this discussion is this one.

thanks fro the thread for the original chat about a logo
    liked all the ideas.
    why cant the sotp header idea be used on both car and boat thus only making one type? it would fit well just under the gunnel near the bow. as its not a very deep banner. it should be descreet enough there.

This thought crossed my mind when I was in the Lakes! I've been slightly put off approaching people by sometimes bumping into quite unfriendly people, so I tend not to now. I was on Coniston on the Wed before the Lakes meet, so if you spotted a solo paddler in a 16ft green canoe that might have been me...

I think the website banner is great as a website banner, but I'm not sure how well it would work as a sticker, because if we're using a sticker to ID people from this site it's going to have to be easily visible from a distance - A plainer sticker with SOTP written on it might be better. It's a tough balance between getting something that's visible enough to be effective, and getting something that people are actually going to be willing to stick on the side of their canoe.

An alternative option to a sticker I suppose would be to design something that people could print themselves and laminate, and hang off the side of the canoe when paddling with other paddlers around to spot other SOTP people, and remove when its not necessary. For the keen photographers among us it might be a better option that something permanent - some of the photos I take I really wouldn't want a sticker glaring out of it!

Anyway, just my 2cents worth...

A small round one may be better?? sort of discreet but noticable sort of thing
    I'm no good a designing stuff so can't really make any suggestions on what it could look like.
    A Canoe or a Paddle maybe?????

MickT
    It'll be right, trust me, I'm a Yorkshireman.

::>>> I'd rather be lucky, than good.

Journal Entries

The site header would be perfect for a car bumper sticker. My friend Tim and I put large white maple leaves on our sterns so we could recognize each other at a distance as members of our canoe gang, especially if there were other canoes about. Simple is better because no one can read lettering before they are in range to talk to you anyhow. Multicolored stickers tend to blend in and become invisible or get waterlogged and fall off; Tim also has a few of those. A lot of Geocachers in my area all have a logo on their cars back windscreen which is simple and brilliant. To keep costs low though a one color white shape works best, sort of like a pirate flag which is immediately identifiable at range.

Tim and I have a friend who makes signs and vehicle graphics so I got a piece of sticky vinyl (which they make the canoe logos and graphics out of anyway) for free and manufactured the maple leaves with a model knife. If you go to a sign place and order a couple hundred in one color they should be fairly cheap. My friend Glen would do them for about $3.50 each Canadian for a hundred (less when you buy more) so a UK shop should be simmilar. Our maple leaves are about the size of a compact disk and show up at about 100 yards if you have good eyes. The thing is the sticker just looks like it came from the factory like that so I have never once received a comment about it.
    If you cannot decide on a couple logos to vote on you can always join Tim and I in our canoe gang. We will send you the maple leaf for postage but the initiation and hazing rituals can be costly.
    Lloyd

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug...

How about simple white lettering of 'SOTP'? single letters can be bought from DIY shops for a few pence. I think its a cracking idea, I mentioned it in a thread a while ago, this would have helped Mike B and myself meet up before we actually did, (We spoke without realising who each other was ) Hey! perhaps we could also have a secret hand shake like the masons!
    Leone_blanco

I think the single letters are a good idea - not too glary, but should be easy to spot. There's a selection of colours and sizes at http://marinestore.co.uk/page/mrst/C...eral-adhesive/ to get an idea of prices etc. 2.5" white letters would do it.

That sounds like a plan to me, what do you all think? I guess we need the blessing of the 'Grand Moff Magikelly' to action this one.
    Leone_blanco

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LAS247 View Post
    Hey! perhaps we could also have a secret hand shake like the masons!
    We (Masons that is) don't rely on that much anymore. Since the invention of the internet it's too hard to keep anything secret for any length of time. Cool idea though. Some day 100 years from now conspiracy theorists would try to piece together the connections between canoes, Bill Mason, (alleged Grand Master) Song of the paddle, (a book with secret hidden messages) song of the paddle .co.uk, (a cult like following in the UK) and their secret handshake with Masonic origins. Maybe Dan Brown could write a novel too.
    Lloyd

straight single letters hadnt occured to me
    i wonder if the they do nice simple cheap ones at the likes of B&Q?
    ill have a look next time i go.(went this morning but that was before i logged on

Journal Entries

The purpose of the sticker is going to be a factor in the design. Simple letters or the Maple Leaf are ideal as a means of identifying existing members at a distance but I would also like any sticker to give the web address so that it acts as an advertisement to encourage new members. This of course can be small and discreet so that it is only visible when someone is looking relatively closely.

If you look at the BCUK and BB logos they are both clear and easily identifiable with the option of wrapping the site address in text round them as a badge etc.

Also will the same sticker be suitable to stick to the outside of a canoe and the inside of a car window? I assume it will but do not know for certain.

Amelia, as to not wanting it to show up in some pictures, that is what Photoshop is for

I favour the maple leaf idea (maybe not a maple leaf, but the concept). I like the fact that only those in the know will know what it means. Not keen on advertising via a sticker. This is better done in conversation. Including the web address may not be a good idea as those of us unfortunate enough not to live in the land of the free. They could be traced back to the forum when they do their bandit runs.
    If it wasn't for the rain in our lives there would be no rivers. X 2

How about just having the SOTP initials on a flag of your choice.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post
    The purpose of the sticker is going to be a factor in the design. ...I would also like any sticker to give the web address so that it acts as an advertisement to encourage new members.
    What ever design you eventually go with, (say a big maple leaf for argument sake) if you use vinyl sign stuff, you can have the web address cut out in negative. This way the lettering will show up as the color of the canoe. If you go with simple white vinyl it looks good on almost everything, and there are not too many white canoes around. The white vinyl will also stick to cars at 100 mph and will not damage paint.

This is just an idea; it will be more popular to go with a British symbol that is liked all over the isles. The web address says it all so a picture or a canoe on a canoe is a bit redundant. Perhaps John you could open a thread excepting submissions for a month and then everyone could vote on them after that? That may be fun... Then with over 400 members now it could be a nightmare for you too.

Lloyd

I too favour the white maple leaf [it seems apt]. And as Lloyd has said, it's simple and visible from a distance [any advertisers dream].

How about, for us in the UK inserting a union flag within it, or if you want to more geographic, a flag of St Andrew or St George etc? This should not detract from it's visual in pact.

Just a thought

Sprout

Journal Entries

Not a big fan of the flag idea. I would be nice to have a symbol that reflects our UK bias but is still inclusive of the rest of the world, however, I suspect it will be easier to find a symbol that just reflects our canoeing interest.

Also it is handy if the symbol is scalable so it can be scaled up for a canoe sticker but scaled down to use for the buttons and symbols on this site while still being recognisable. Not an easy thing to find.

I like Lloyds idea, although a stylised symbol similar to The North Face logo for instance or the BCU. maybe crossed paddles? Whatever is decided it should be something that represents the whole canoeing way of life as opposed to just the boat. Tha maple leaf idea ties in nicely with this ethos.

Bet you wish you had patented the maple leaf symbol don't you Lloyd?
    Leone_blanco

Journal Entries

Also it is handy if the symbol is scalable so it can be scaled up for a canoe sticker but scaled down to use for the buttons and symbols on this site while still being recognisable.
    I was talking with my Friend Glen about sticker design; as long as your original image is large and good quality almost anything can be done with it as far as sizing; from billboards to buttons. You could add lots of color and other flourishes to make it better looking on the website too (Photoshop). I would agree with you on the flag thing. It’s too hard to bring everyone together on that. Most of the canoe clubs over here go with big nasty white letters six feet long. Something the size of a CD is perfect for a canoe, the size of an apple for a car or jacket patch or a coin for a lapel button. Do a Google search on canoe logo to see what everyone else is up to.
    Lloyd

Journal Entries

Bet you wish you had patented the maple leaf symbol don't you Lloyd?
    No, money would just corrupt me. Everyone should be able to use it for good reasons. The only thing I take offence to is this type of thing
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/natio...2554-8534r.htm
    Lloyd

I think lloyd's maple leaf works well but its probably inappropriate for a uk based site....*shrug*

I'd tentatively suggest a single colour "silhoeutte" of either a sea eagle (wings spread) or a salmon - otter might be good to but may be less recogniseable - maybe all too scottish based but there again what wildlife have you still got in Engerland?

Emmerdale, also know as Bradford sewage works

quite like the maple leaf as I've got a Canadian canoe. How about an oak leaf?

what wildlife have you still got in Engerland?
    rats.

rats love water don't they.
    Rogue

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aquanaut View Post
    I'd tentatively suggest a single colour "silhoeutte" of either a sea eagle (wings spread) or a salmon - otter might be good to but may be less recogniseable
    I was starting to think on these lines as well. I think a canoe maker already has a Eagle as its logo (Nova Craft?)

For the "Song" connection a river bird might be an idea. A kingfisher perhaps?

Default logo/sticker

Hi,

How about a Cormorant or Shag as they are representative of the whole UK inland and sea. There are a few bird books with their silouhetes in.
    Not much 'song' but plenty of guano.

PB

Journal Entries

Some options of what the Otter option could look like.

In Black

In White

With web address (going to change this as the transparent background does not show it up.

Some options of what the Otter option could look like
    I like that as long as its not too big.

How about a wavy web address ??

Maybe some Flyers that can be printed off and handed out ??

MickT
    It'll be right, trust me, I'm a Yorkshireman.

::>>> I'd rather be lucky, than good.

Journal Entries

Not to steal or critique your otter because I think it is absolutely perfect (sort of like Australias leaping white kangaroo) but you may want the text outside his body just for pure looks. Sign shops can set their cutters to do any size, any font.

Otters range throughout the world so it is not totally a UK icon but the web address brings it home. This is a very quick paintshop job to see what it looks like on a canoe...
    Last edited by Lloyd; 7th-August-2006 at 03:07 PM.
    Lloyd

How about a stag? The English could call it a hart, the scots a stag and the welsh could mumble something about rams. Might not be that recognisable at a distance I suppose. Mrs Nickbr is a graphic designer so I might press gang her into doing something in photoshop and post it up here. I like the otter though.

(No offence to the Welsh meant, I'm from that neck of the woods myself).

Is following the animal emblam line not detracting from the canoe somewhat, people may think of it as a wildlife or ornithalogical organisation. Something more pertinant to canoeing would help the uninitiated understand the meaning of the 'club'. A styalised canoe or paddle etc will prove to be more pertinant.
    Leone_blanco

helpful as ever
    Rogue

Journal Entries

Rogue; you're a bigger smart ass than I am. I like that.
    Lloyd

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post

helpful as ever
    As usual, Rogue's idea is the topper!

Where can I get mine?

Do you need www. in front of a web address now days?

Is following the animal emblam line not detracting from the canoe somewhat, people may think of it as a wildlife or ornithalogical organisation. Something more pertinant to canoeing would help the uninitiated understand the meaning of the 'club'. A styalised canoe or paddle etc will prove to be more pertinant.
    What about a hammock!! Could we have a group buy on the stickers?

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

helpful as ever
    LOL - excellent !
    You've captured a universal symbol of waterways there.

A more abstract, and even more ancient symbol for water can be found here: - it's this one:

Although on my boat these'd just look like scratches in the hull ...

The otter is a nice idea.
    I liked the oak leaf too, especially becasue of it's association with my home river.
    Last edited by monkey_pork; 7th-August-2006 at 07:19 PM.

No competitions going at the moment are there.......?

Picture yourself in a boat on a river,

TOTALLY BRILL ROGUE
    how about an otter/rat sitting in the basket paddling?

sums up british water ways perfectly. Top marks Rogue.

Bushcraft Survival and First Aid Training.

Journal Entries

I wasn't going to say anything about WhyAyeMan's attempt to turn you all into Canucks, though given the fact that you think open canoes are Canadian canoes, the maple leaf might be appropriate (personally never been in a "Canadian" canoe, except once or twice when renting).

If you were to do a water symbol locally - it would be the loon - or as it is known in England, the great northern diver.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_loon

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pierre girard View Post
    I wasn't going to say anything about WhyAyeMan's attempt to turn you all into Canucks
    I am far more Brit like than Canuck; we keep close ties with the family in Scotland and North England.

The Loon is a great Idea though; symbol of the wilds and the north.
    something like this?
    Except that bird is all over Canuck money too and anyone useing it runs the risk of being called "Loonie"
    That sums up me, Rogue maybe, and some of the white water crowd?
    Lloyd

Journal Entries

The animal theme is, I think, okay for the canoe as a marker to identify yourself to other members. The inclusion of the web address is just for completeness. It is when you start to think of a car sticker that the animal logo lacks the clear message of the site. This could be addressed with a strap line "Going places no path can take you" or some such.

helpful as ever
    Almost perfect Rogue but I think it needs a water rat perched on the trolley for the truly authentic look

Quote Originally Posted by WhyAyeMan View Post
    I am far more Brit like than Canuck; we keep close ties with the family in Scotland and North England.

The Loon is a great Idea though; symbol of the wilds and the north.
    something like this?
    Except that bird is all over Canuck money too and anyone useing it runs the risk of being called "Loonie"
    That sums up me, Rogue maybe, and some of the white water crowd?
    good idea although loons are called divers here in the UK so we'd miss out on that fortunate double meaning - more at home on the water than the land - black throated and red throated divers only really come ashore to breed, they can hardly walk as their legs are adapted for paddling and they tend to let out a mournful cry every now and then - sounds exactly like some canoeists i know

Shouldn't the water be more of a brownish colour?
    Leone_blanco

The river where we grew up was a different colour every day.
    The dye works used to discharge directly into the river.

We used to wade accross and our legs would change colour.
    Rogue

Default Song of the paddle

Since it's 'Song of the Paddle' you could keep a consistent theme and use a simple paddle silouhette as was used on the book cover. Here's Lloyd's canoe again!:

A paddle's simple, easily recognised and completely relevant - it might just be a bit over-used. The aimal logos don't really seem directly linked to the main theme of the group - better with the shopping trolley!
    I'd favour just a plain logo, (peferably with no web address), and certainly with no "reaches the places other watercraft don't" strapline .

Ian

As you will see I an no artist (where's a my 6 year old when I need her ) however if someone has got some desktop publishing software I thought these simple designs may work. We have to be aware that all fancy designs and colours will add significantly to the cost of the stickers etc

Or perhaps

I thought the S looked vaguely similar to a kneeling paddler.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sunadal View Post
    Since it's 'Song of the Paddle' you could keep a consistent theme and use a simple paddle silouhette as was used on the book cover. Here's Lloyd's canoe again!:

A paddle's simple, easily recognised and completely relevant - it might just be a bit over-used. The aimal logos don't really seem directly linked to the main theme of the group - better with the shopping trolley!
    I'd favour just a plain logo, (peferably with no web address), and certainly with no "reaches the places other watercraft don't" strapline .

Ian
    The paddle outline is certainly appropriate for an identifying badge for the canoe but would seem a little pointless as a car sticker if it had no web address. Might be that there needs to be completely separate designs for use on cars and canoes. If indeed there is any demand for a car sticker as well.

It is also worth remembering that this only works if people actually buy the logo and stick it too their canoe. you may well see a member who has not got the logo but they are still a member

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SunburyAndy View Post

Or perhaps

I thought the S looked vaguely similar to a kneeling paddler.
    There is definitely a certain charm to these ones.

MK, I think your comment was sincere .

If anyone want to expand on the idea, I am happy to email the original file which is MS Paint.

i like the paddle outline in the horizontal position possibly with sopt underneath it.
    most paddles you see are vertical i think

for us dyslexics:

STOP--------!

and its almost paddle shaped
    Rogue

Rogue

for us dyslexics:

STOP--------!

and its almost paddle shaped

LOL

Journal Entries

Couldn't sleep tonight because of the heat. I started looking through this thread again. I think Sunbury Andy is onto something with his canoe man.

The logo would be a bit thin in spots and prone to damage but this could be worked on

Stolen from this photo, since his book inspired the site it seemed appropriate. If we stick a hat on the canoe man and tweek the logo a bit it should keep the copyright lawyers at bay? I don't know; just tossing out ideas. I think it's a good project and has been a fun thread.
    Lloyd

Journal Entries

The logo would be a bit thin in spots and prone to damage but this could be worked on
    I have thought about this and I think the easiest solution for any final design is for the logo to be printed on a clear vinyl square or rectangle so that we do not have thin bits of sticker that will come off.

Stolen from this photo, since his book inspired the site it seemed appropriate. If we stick a hat on the canoe man and tweek the logo a bit it should keep the copyright lawyers at bay?
    Or we could just ask the Mason family for permission . Paul is a member here and I have contacted Becky and Bill's wife before when I started the site, too make sure they approved of the project. They were very supportive so I would be hopeful of gaining their permission.

Default Logo

Why don't we get Paul to design the logo?. He does cartoons to order and I would happily contribute to the cost of the artwork if I was getting a Mason original.

Chris
    "All right" said Eeyore "We're going. Only don't blame me"

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

Default Sticker Costs

I did some digging on the net, here is their reply:-

Thanks for the email Andy,

Yes we can help.

All our stickers are screen or digitally printed onto
    exterior quality vinyl, using light stable inks. This means that your
    stickers are waterproof, will be long lasting and the colours will not fade.
    Canoe Stickers - approx 90mm by 60mm oval, digitally printed on white self adhesive vinyl and over varnished for added protection, die cut to shape:
    1000 = 30p each
    500 = 38p each
    I trust this helps. If you need any further information or would like some
    samples please let me know and I will arrange the necessary.

Kind regards
    Graham Higdon
    Office: 01684 773697
    Fax: 01684 773605
    www.atlanticcoaststudios.com
    All prices quoted exclude £7.50 postage and packaging and VAT.
    Where artwork is required a charge may apply.

Please note I do not know this company and cannot comment on the quality of their work. Andy

Just thought I'd throw in my idea for a logo:

The thing on the right is intended to be a tree rather than an indication of impending thermonuclear armageddon.

While I can see the point of advertising the site, I prefer logo's to be a little bit obscure - you either know what it is or you don't, if you don't you can ask. In particualr, and personally, I'd prefer any sticker to be free of web addresses and URLs, I work with 'pooters and it's nice to get away from them now & again.

I guess you could stick SOTP on the blade, maybe in perpsective.
    Last edited by urchaidh; 9th-August-2006 at 12:18 PM.
    Veni Vidi Natavi

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast