Hull Shape: Asymmetrical
    Optimum Load Range ~120-260 lbs.
    Industry Capacity ~ 400 lbs.

Gold Fusion 46 lbs
    Guide Fusion 42 lbs
    Kevlar Fusion 36 lbs
    Carbon Fusion 34 lbs

Makers Write Up
    The Osprey draws on the lessons learned from our highly acclaimed tandem, the Dumoine. Through skillful manipulation of the shape, the Osprey’s heavily rockered, asymmetrical hull provides exceptional maneuverability yet remarkable tracking, while it’s high prismatic coe_cient assures fast travelling. The uniquely sculpted, flared hull keeps water out, yet permits proper strokes and easy paddling.
    Last edited by Canoe Guru; 19th-October-2008 at 07:38 PM.

Default short paddle with the Osprey

last weekend I had the possibility to paddle the Swift Osprey and compare it to my Bell Wildfire RX and Merlin II in Kevlar Lite.
    The Osprey has a more stable feeling when entering and turns better than the Merlin and I guess has the same responsiveness as the Wildfire. While the Merlin is the more sophisticated canoe for flat water, the Osprey handles both flat water and moving water easily. Especially in wind and waves the Osprey gives a stable, secure feeling. It accomodates also a paddler who is a little bit on the heavier side of the scale and accepts a reasonable load for touring.
    It also turns more easily than the Merlin, due to more rocker. This requires a little bit more steering when going straight, but makes it more convenient for freestyle.
    I think it is a reliable canoe that does not excel in any discipline, but shines in all tasks that are demanded. If you are looking for a Jack of all trades, try one. Perhaps you will be surprised...
    Heinz

very jealous. who is bringing Swift boats into Europe and how much do they cost?

Chris
    "All right" said Eeyore "We're going. Only don't blame me"

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

Default no need to be jealous

Hi Chris,
    the name of the guy is Wolfgang Hölbling from Austria and a paddle buddy of mine, his website is www.swiftcanoe.eu and the prices are quite reasonable considering the cost for shipping these things across the pond.
    Unfortunately Swift choose to rise prices for next year for the more sophisticated laminates (Kevlar Fusion and Carbon Fusion) for the nice amount of CAD 200 . But Wolfgang offers a preorder price until Nov. 15 though. Perhaps he is willing to extend it...
    For you across the channel the canoe meeting in the Netherlands in autumn is a nice possibility to try these canoes, as I mentioned in August this year in this forum, but Wolfgang attends all big canoe meetings in Germany and you can visit him in the summer for holidays in Austria. You will be pleased with the lovely landscape and the possibilities to paddle .
    Hope this helped!
    Heinz

Default Swift Canoes

Hi Chris,

if you’re or others are interested in paddling or testing a Swift Canoe I can arrange something “near” you. This year I am in the Netherlands twice the first time by the end of April, the second time at the Dutch Canoe Festival in September. Since Austria isn’t very close to your home, maybe the Netherlands will work? Anything else is a matter of organisation…
    Greetings from Austria
    Wolfgang

Default Swift Osprey - photo

The pictures show the 2008 layup, the edges are softer in the new style. Pictures coming soon.

Default Swift Osprey kevlar fusion, cherry trim

Swift Osprey, kevlar clear, integrated gunwale system
    You never paddle the same river twice.

Shortly to be found near The Wissey Norfolk

The purchase of a Swift Osprey was my 2nd foray into the world of lightweight composite solo canoes. My first was 5 years or so ago when I walked into Sues Canoes and fell in love with a Bell Merlin II. I had never paddled or tried one but having seen it I just bought it.

It was a beautiful canoe but over the period which I owned it I realised that at 20+ stone I was just to heavy for her. So I sold her. She was quick in a straight line but as my bulk was forcing her down into the water turning was an effort and she, for me was not an ideal paddling partner.

Greg Spencer had been dangling a trailer full of Swift composite canoes at a couple of Big meets and other events which we had attended. I tried several but kept nicking the Osprey off the trailer. The Osprey has more rocker and there is something about it which makes it better for the paddler of a "fuller figure". I felt more stable in the Osprey than I ever did in the Merlin.
    So in for a penny, in for a pound. If I was going to buy another composite canoe then I would go all out. So last November I stated talking to Greg and Wolfgang about the specification which I wanted. I like nice canoes and take care of them. I poured over the specifications and worked a scheme which I felt would be pleasing to the eye. I ended up on Flax Fusion for the whole hull ( many choose a champagne bottom to make the inevitable scratches less obvious), I went for a fixed seat, carbon integrated gunwales and cherry decks and trim. I placed the order at the end of November so that the canoe could be manufactured in time to be put in a container to be delivered to Wolfgang at Carinthian Canoe Base in Austria.

I was planning an Austrian spring break but in the end I collected the canoe from Wolfgang on May Day weekend at the Kringlefieber event in Germany. It was like a delayed Christmas day. The canoe was still wrapped and sealed in its protective fleece. Daniela offered me a knife to cut the tape which I did to expose this beautiful canoe to the assembled few.

I sat her next to my 106 year old Peterborough. I had the oldest and newest canoes at Kringelfieber. The Swift Osprey was better in reality than I ever dreamt. The quality of the layup and trim was superb.

[IMG][/IMG]

I like the way the front edge of the seat is tilted so its not a pain in the butt

Well it is flax!

On the water she is quick, tracks very well and is immensely stable. Tonight I was paddling comfortably and confidently with her heeled well over with the gunwale just out of the water; if I had tried that in the Merlin I would have been counting swan mussels on the bed of the Great Ouse. She turns easily and quickly and turns can be initiated quickly simply by leaning forward slightly and adding the lightest of paddle strokes.

So far so good. A lovely well made canoe suited for us "well upholstered" paddlers looking for a composite solo. I have for me, made a better choice than I did when I purchased the Merlin. Not cheap but not expensive. I ended up sub £3K thanks to the favourable exchange rate with the Euro. Quality always sells but to get quality you do have to pay the price.

Thanks Wolfgang and Greg. The swift tag line "People who know, paddle Swift" is a very true statement.

Another very happy Swift customer and owner

Get Paddling!

Blott

That is stunning matey, it really is! Looks a quick boat too. No need for a trolley to transport that about!

Enjoy!

She's a beauty Nick. Welcome to the world of flax fusion and light wallets
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

I've just taken one of these out on the South Saskatchewan for a short paddle. Felt initial stability was a bit "tippy" but secondary was good. The boat tracked like a dream and turned on a dime.