Thread: Paddlin' Padstow...

Talking Paddlin' Padstow...

I've got next week off work!
    (I realise that this won't instill the same level of excitment for others that it is currently doing for me!)

I'll be staying around St Merryn / Padstow area. I havn't been able to find much info on paddling around these parts.

I shall probably be going twin bladed in my siton kayak so that I can take advantage of the sea more.

Any suggestions on some nice spots to explore? Preferrably without having to rely on shuttling, as the friends I'm going with are non-paddlers.

Or if anyone wants to meetup for a paddle let me know!

Cheers folks.

Roly.

Pity you're not down there at the end of the month Roly when I hope to be down there along with my new toy (if it arrives on time). The camel estuary seems the logical place to explore the coast on a sit on top. Be careful of the tides.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your experiences when you've got your new toy!

The camel estury would seem the obvious place to have a bimble about, from what I recall it can be quite a muddy place to be also though.

Roly.

Emmerdale, also know as Bradford sewage works

hey I'm dow nat St Merryn at teh end of the month but can not decide whether t otake the board or surfboards - think SWMBO want her board taking.

Wonder if I can fit 2 surfboard and a canoe on the roof rack. Suppose boat could sit over the boards.

Then I take my climbing gear and the fishing rods that is the week full Good job I got and estate car.

I take it we are talking of Padstow in Cornwall, if we are keep a look out for the basking sharks which are found in fairly large numbers in that area.

They WON'T harm you, however if a 23' shark with a mouth the size of the Channel tunnel comes along side you it may make you jump a LITTLE!!!

I would'nt like to see a real life version of Moby Dick

Mind you it would make the the front pages
    Last edited by Chopper; 4th-August-2006 at 05:20 PM.

however if a 23' shark with a mouth the size of the Challel tunnel comes along side you it may make you jump a LITTLE!!!
    Good greif! Didn't know about them! Had better ensure have adequate provisions to remove any stains that an encounter may leave behind!

Roly.

Default Paddlin' Padstow...

Hi,

We have already had 2to 3 weeks down there this summer.

Camel Estuary is good there and back or one way.

Fowey wstuary on the south coast is good, up on the incoming tide to Lostwithiel and have lunch 2 hrs later catch the ebb and go back.

There is some local hire company that does trips from Port Quinn turn left at the moath of the natural harbour and follow the coast along to some superb beaches.

There are loads of other trips but they depend on your risk assessment of your ability tides weather and skill/knowledge.

I have ticked porpoise, bottle nose dolphins and an approx 25' basking shark a few weeks ago at the mouth of the estuary.

PB

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
    ...keep a look out for the basking sharks which are found in fairly large numbers in that area.

They WON'T harm you, however if a 23' shark with a mouth the size of the Channel tunnel comes along side you it may make you jump a LITTLE!!!

I would'nt like to see a real life version of Moby Dick

Mind you it would make the the front pages
    Wouldn't that be something to see!

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by pierre girard View Post
    Wouldn't that be something to see!
    Fair old beasts these are.

Not the most far sighted of creatures tho', so may kinda just pop up nearby - very keen on zooplankton.