Thread: Avoiding scratches

Lightbulb Avoiding scratches

In a recent thread "Orangesmartie" brought up the topic of "scratches and I was wondering if there is any special technique to take a canoe out from a canal without ripping half the side off on the stone/brick/metal banks? (They are very rarely mud)
    All the Gear, but no idea......
    www.therussellplace.co.uk

What I used to do, is drape an old punctured rubber canvass airbed over the bank to minimise damage, unfortunately, on a recent camping trip, it was so covered in mud, I threw it away.
    You don't stop playing because you are old, you get old because you stop playing.

canal without ripping half the side off on the stone/brick/metal banks?r

HI
    Once the paddlers are on the bank ,hold onto bow or stern painter ,the n push canoe out into canal so it is then 90 degrees to the bank.Lift the end out onto bank,if there are two of you then one person eitherside and lift out together.

Regards
    Tony

When i use my hammer for bashing in nails, I find the end of the hammer gets scratched and even dented. Does anyone know a way of getting the nails in without spoiling the shine on the hammer?

Yes I know, it was supposed to be sarcastic, scratches are to be endured.

What I do if there are two of you is to turn the boat at right angles to the bank and lift the end. It's surprising how buoyant the other end is when you sort of expect it to go under. With one person at each side at the bank you lift it up and out until you are holding at the balance point, with the people still at the bank. Easy after that. I try to do something similar with just one person although it's almost impossible to avoid some contact with the bank.

Garth

Whoops I've just noticed I've been beaten to it

As already mentioned, I go with the old deflated inflatable airbed at the side of the bank and then just drag the boat over it. Mine also doubles up as a matt for the base of the boat to keep the boat cleaner.

I've seen others use a tough old heavy duty bit of canvas to drape over the bank in the same way. (matto I think does this)

DanDan

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Cooper View Post
    When i use my hammer for bashing in nails, I find the end of the hammer gets scratched and even dented. Does anyone know a way of getting the nails in without spoiling the shine on the hammer?

Use some folded cloth around the hammer...that'll stop loosing that there shine......and thanks, I've now stopped using my canoe as a file to smooth off the edges on the banks.....
    All the Gear, but no idea......
    www.therussellplace.co.uk

south lanarkshire on east ayrshire boarder p.s. its scotland

Default scratches!!

Real rivers don't have kerbs .....so they say!
    Fit softer edges to all canals
    love alot, trust a few but always paddle your own canoe

lol, that made me nearly spit my coffee over my laptop

Journal Entries

Pretty much. I also found the best way to avoid all the scarry things in the world is just to never leave my basement.
    Lloyd

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug...

I once found a large canvas sheet on the river side, left I think by a fisherman. I took to carrying it around in the boat. Quite useful for laying over the concrete piers on some locks so that you can drag your boat out with leaving too much behind. I don't mind scratching my boat, but I'd rather do it paddling.
    Matto

Ours was the marsh country, down by the river, within, as the river wound, twenty miles of the sea.

Quote Originally Posted by Matto View Post
    I don't mind scratching my boat, but I'd rather do it paddling.
    I agree Common sense prevails when it comes to reducing some of the wear and tear on your boat when the factors are inside your control. Pezz could put something down to reduce some of the wear and tear on his pride and joy. He might try taking a narrow strip of rolled up tarp to lay down before pulling the boat over the brick and concrete banks.
    Mitch