Thread: Books for leatherwork ?

Default Books for leatherwork ?

Hi, does anyone know of any good books for a bit of guidance on making things from leather. I need a new sheath for my knife. The old one got washed down a river about 8 years ago. I still keep my eyes open for it every time i go down the river,hopeing to see it stuck in a bush. The knife has been living in a temporary sheath, made out of one of the wifes old boots. Bit smelly,but it does the job.
    Anyway, the knife deserves a better sheath and i fancy making one. I need a cover for an axe also. So if anyone knows any good books with a few tips in them. Cheers.

Hi Rick

There are many about. A ore cost effective method (!) might be to look at the leather working threads on British Blades. I learned from there and really enjoy leatherwork as a hobby now, selling a few pieces to cover the cost of materials.

A couple of examples (more recent ones have improved!):

I'm working on some more 'involved' sheaths now, where none of the 'flesh' side of the leather is exposed.

Good luck but be warned - highly addictive!!

Book advice is probably best sought from BB.
    There is pleasure in the pathless woods,
    There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
    There is society, where none intrudes,
    By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
    I love not man the less, but Nature more.

Journal Entries

British Blades is a great place to learn and I picked up a lot of hints there. I also bought this book

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Leatherworki...dp/1844034747/

and it was a great help as well

Thanks for the advice, i will check out BB. Cheers.
    If i can make one that looks as good as any of those sheaths, i will be well suited. You cant beat making and using your own kit.
    Thanks again for the advice.

You're most welcome, and thanks! I'm no expert but let me know if I can help in any way (learn from my mistakes!!).

Duncan

look at this great post on british blades: http://www.britishblades.com/forums/...ad.php?t=22249

i used this when making my sheath which was also a first. i did it much simpler than described but it still works. if you want to see the result it's here.
    Last edited by lowlander; 25th-September-2008 at 07:09 AM. Reason: spelling

Ive had a look at your replacement sheaf, to replace the one the dog ate. It looks a good job, definately not a waste of a Sunday. Im always wasting my Sundays( so the wife says) trying to make rope out of bark, whitteling spoons and alsorts. Anything apart from mending that gutter.
    Ive had a good look at the BB site also, and there is loads of good information, some brilliant articles. It all looks so simple when you see the process laid out with pictures. I just need to source some leather now, then i can have a crack at it and see what i can produce.
    Im not after perfection, as long as i can make something that does the job well. Will post a pic, when ive sorted it. Does anyone know a good place to get the vegetable tanned leather ?

Journal Entries

I would not get all obsessive about trying to make pretty sheaths and axe covers. If you use your stuff the leather is going to get the crap kicked out of it anyhow. Just keep putting the KoChoLine to it after every serious week spent in the woods. Then it will look good and function great forever. The KoCholine will also keep your tools from rusting if there is a bit on the inside of the sheath too. Pretty is as pretty does.

That said if you want to really learn some more advanced leather working skills here are a few good books.

http://www.autrynationalcenter.org/ortega/books.php

The skills are transferable to all sorts of other projects so if you want to learn to pretty things up with braiding etc. for collectors instead of users there are some good ideas in them.
    Lloyd

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug...

Quote Originally Posted by RickT View Post
    Does anyone know a good place to get the vegetable tanned leather ?
    LePrevo are an excellent supplier but it comes in big bits!! If you want something big enough for a sheath I can probably help you out.

Default New Sheath sorted

Hi fellas, cheers for the advice and everything. I rattled a new sheath off for my knife. Its miles better, hangs just right , you dont even know its on your belt. At the moment its stitched with 30 lb fishing line which i just need to overstitch or replace with some heavy duty thread. It looks slightly better than the one i knocked together out of one of my wifes old boots anyway. Ive just been away for a couple of day canoe trip, so its getting dirty already.
    Couple of pics.

Excellent stuff Rick! Glad to see the fruits of your labours

Cheers Duncan, will definately be making some more stuff. I can see why you make so much stuff, its very relaxing, and enjoyable.

Journal Entries

It is indeed a slippery slope

looks good, congratulations!
    i must say the one made from the old boot has a certain flair to it as well, tough