Thread: Anyone fancy a Wye trip?

Default Anyone fancy a Wye trip?

Got some time in August, anyone fancy a couple or three days on the Wye with a couple of overnight stops, could be fun ...............

It's a bit short notice for me but would really like to paddle the Wye later on maybe sept'/oct time.If you're free then definately give me a shout.Mike B...

September after the 18th is OK by me, Water might be a little better as well!!
    Jerry

May be able to depending on work and the shift rota, will know more when you set a date, where are you thinking of starting?
    Leone_blanco

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Murland
    September after the 18th is OK by me, Water might be a little better as well!!
    Jerry
    Count me in depending on the date! The end of september would be good if it doesnt clash with the proposed Loch Lomond meet
    I Started out with nothing! and i still have most of it left.

Hi i'd be interested, but apart form the odd day i'm pretty tied up with work untill November
    Phil

I'd be up for it if you decide on Sept/Oct. The end of Aug is already booked up with family holidays for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Murland
    Got some time in August, anyone fancy a couple or three days on the Wye with a couple of overnight stops, could be fun ...............
    Hi Jerry
    When you got dates let me know, I am always up for a paddle
    Thank you

John O'Connell
    -------------------------------------
    O C Outdoor
    Web page www.occuk.co.uk/outdoor
    --------------------------------------

I'd be keen on this as well, again after August would be easier for myself due to existing arrangements.

Keep us updated on whatever you decide.

Cheers

Roly.

How about Saturday September 23rd to Monday 25th which would involve two nights camping or perhaps three is we do three full days. Hay to Monmouth? About 75 miles is my guess for distance. Only a suggestion and an happy to make it shorter - over to you lot!!

Jerry

Could you put me down as a maybe? Will be able to confirm in a couple of weeks (hopefully).
    Amelia

sure Amelia, no probs

Jerry

How about Saturday September 23rd to Monday 25th
    Yes I will be up for something then.

we do three full days
    Yes could manage that

About 75 miles
    Thats quite a distance on a sluggish river like the Wye unless it really chucks it down during September. Good quiet campsite at Preston on Wye. Barrow of fire wood for a fiver too! Some wild woodland camping/hammock possibilities couple of miles below Simmonds Yat.

Nigel

could be up for this if it does'nt clash with the next Lomond meet [really really want to do that one]

The Wye may be at short notice though, how much prior notice do you need?
    Obscured by Clouds

Clipper Prospector 16

http://lostcoast.blogspot.com

Good Wye information here for those who have not ever had the pleasure of this river. Good access and a campsite of sorts at Whitney Toll Bridge. There are some youth only camping sites along the river not sure if they would accept a 'well behaved and respectable' canoe group?

http://www.igreens.org.uk/canoeing_the_wye.htm

Nigel

I have put Sept 23rd in my diary - so the trip is on for those who want to join it, 'put in' and 'get out' to be decided. Yes 77 miles probably too far for three days iF the water is low - and it probably won't be high! I'm open to suggestions - please read that in context - as to where we start. It would be good to plan a couple of campsites in advance so I suppose some idea of numbers by end of August would be sensible?

Jerry

That sounds fine, the less organisation the better really. Put in, put out and 2 campsites plus an arrangement to shuttle cars. People can then come and join the 'convoy' as they please.

Nigel

Jerry

I be up for the the wye on the dates proposed. paddle it before, so might be able to help with info for camp sites.

So far I have interest from:
    Crockbait, Nigel P, Myself, Don Redondo, Amelia, Roly, Joc, Newdaze, David B and Laz247. That is potentially 10 boats unless some are going to paddle tandem. 10 boats is probably the maximum ..............what do people think?

Jerry

Thumbs down Mid september on the wye

Would be interested in mid september on teh wye. Seems to be a few with that idea so maybe worth sorting out a meet. Will keep a eye on developments. September a good time for the yellow leaves along the river.

I can now confirm that I'm actually not going to be able to come, so that's 1 less for the list.
    Cheers.

Hi Jerry and others

I would think that even if more than 10 boats set off at the same time many would be split into groups of 3-4 anyway, or even single ones. To save on organisation it would probably be easier if each boat is self contained and can travel at its own pace if necesaary. We could block book the campsite/s if slightly nearer the time someone was willing to collect payment and sort this?

With a lot of boats and the possibility of meeting up for lunch during the day paddling 12-16 miles would be about right for the Wye in september.

Would the intention be to start Friday day time and have nearly 3 days paddling ( I can get to the Wye Thursday night for a Friday morning start)? Folk who can only get there the Saturday could I suppose join the 'SOTP convoy' at there own leisure where the rest of us camp for Friday night?

Nigel

Romsey, Paddle estuaries within an hour, also club member and coach, and scout canoeing helper

Default Wye trip (OCA weekend clash)

That weekend is the Open Canoe Association 1-3* training and assesment on the River Axe in devon. (See http://www.opencanoe.org/events.asp) so I'll probably go to that this time

However I do have time off in August and want to get some paddling done so may be looking for a trip (a day or two) in the South.

I'll post again when I know more.
    Brevan
    Brevan,
    The truth (about Rights of Navigation) is out there
    Romsey, Hampshire
    Twitter: BrevanM
    Follow my blog at http://riveraccessrights.blogspot.com/

Default Wye in September

I will be up for a September paddle down the Wye.
    I paddled Glasbury to Monmouth at the beginning of July, started Thursday afternoon 4pm and finished Saturday evening 6pm with 2 wild camps on the way. It would be nice to try it at a more leisurely pace this time, unfortunatly work commitments dictated my speed last time.

Seems to be a few with that idea so maybe worth sorting out a meet.
    I thought that's what we were doing!!

Jerry

Would the intention be to start Friday day time and have nearly 3 days paddling ( I can get to the Wye Thursday night for a Friday morning start)? Folk who can only get there the Saturday could I suppose join the 'SOTP convoy' at there own leisure where the rest of us camp for Friday night?
    Yes Nigel, that sounds like a good plan - all we need to do is agree where we start and finish and what campsites we will use.

Jerry

Default Wye trip september

I would like to join you for that trip for at least the saturday and sunday.Maybe able to do monday aswell solong as i can get all of my mondays work done in advance.(No holiday being self employed).
    If the meet goes aswell as Amelia's lakes trip i am sure we will have a good time .

Default Route proposal

With time creeping up on us this is my route idea

Friday Start Hollybush Inn or Hay on Wye or Whitney Toll Bridge 10'ish
    Friday Night Preston Court Farm-fires allowed here!

Saturday Start Preston 10'ish Folk travelling up Friday night could come straight here, or Saturday start
    Saturday Night Holme Lacey Bridge Campsite here, proper job

Sunday Start 10'ish and complete paddle at Ross on Wye

Long days but may be OK with with a bit of Rain? Could try a shorter days but campsites are a problem with a lot of people.

Other alternative is to start at Whitney Toll and camp at Preston and Hoarwothy (basic site but fires allowed here). DISCUSS

Nigel

Default Wye not...?

let me know your final schedule and i will try and join you for a day (Saturday or Sunday). If i am able to pitch up I can arrange my own shuttle, but will help out if others need help shuttling vehicles for a single day run too. I would just need to know the evening before where you will be starting from...
    Mary

Default wye

Having not tackled this river before can anyone inform me of degree of difficulty (any white water involved and what grade) so i can decide whether or not to bring my daughter.
    Cheers
    Roy

Default A lovely touring river but always an element of risk

The River Wye is a wonderful touring river for open canoes. There is an excellent Canoeists' Guide to the River Wye, available now from the Environment Agency at 5, which gives all the river running details.
    The normal starting place will be Glasbury. Higher up the river it is serious whitewater, or bump and scrape at this time of year. From Glasbury down to Hay-on-Wye there are a few easy riffles, but it is all essentially Grade One. Below Hay there is a chute at Monnington Falls, but again easy Grade One. Then the river winds around glorious countryside, and provided it is not windy, this is very pleasant paddling. From Kerne Bridge the river picks up speed in a few riffles approaching Symond's Yat, which is a Grade Two rapid and a serious canoeing playspot. But in summer conditions, Symond's Yat is a straightforward set of small drops down through a wave train. On towards Monmouth there are a few riffles, but nothing above Grade One, and then the river eventually becomes tidal - but you are not going that far and do not needs to worry about tides, currents and overfalls.
    So a delightful paddle in store.
    But of course there is always an element of risk. Many canoeists were very surprised to hear of the death of nine-year-old Billie Holiday Clayton in April this year. Canoeing on a benign bit of the river from Glasbury to Hay, with her father and twin brother, she appeared to have got entangled in the branches of a strainer after a capsize. Wearing a buoyancy aid she did not drown, but died of hypothermia after being in the water for an hour. Sadly there were not the rescue skills available to pull her out. The Easter holidays, as you know, can be a tricky time of the year for the weather, and the water is often still cold then for a prolonged immersion.
    And that of course is one very good reason for starting on the Wye with other experienced paddlers who know the river, and who would be able to assist in the event of any rescue needed.
    Thousands of people canoe down the Wye every year, and apart from this tragedy, they are generally unscathed, and very, very happy.

Hi Roy

There will probably be too little water rather than too much!! Main difficulty will be long'ish days paddling if there is not much flow, technically a rather simple river but we could do with some rain prior to, rather than actually on that weekend.

Nigel

Default wye grading

Thanks for the info. Based on the above i think my daughter is more than capable of this trip and will leave it up to her to decide whether she will join me for the paddle.

Cheers
    Roy

I've now had my holiday request confirmed with work, so can confirm my attendance. Should be good fun. I've paddled from Llanstephan (sp?) above Glasbury down to Brockwier (section before Chepstow), but only in day long sections.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
    Thanks for the info. Based on the above i think my daughter is more than capable of this trip and will leave it up to her to decide whether she will join me for the paddle.

Cheers
    Roy
    Hi Roy n co,

It should certainly be milder than some of the challenges we encountered on Ullswater!

Roly.

Please confirm dates!!!
    Originally was to be sat sun mon
    but recent proposals suggest fri sat sun
    confused but need to be sure so can work around.

Hi Roy and others

Just realised that, me confusing things did not look properly at the start of the thread. Route proposal as before but Sat Sun Mon!! That would work well as the 'proper campsite' is less likely to be busy on the Sunday. Any other route ideas?

Nigel

Default Wye Trip

Got a problem with the dates myself now!! Family duty has knocked the September dates on the head - really annoying but can't get out of it! I am now only free on October 6th to the 9th. Can anyone make those dates or am I going to have to sit at home ?
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Murland View Post
    Got a problem with the dates myself now!! Family duty has knocked the September dates on the head - really annoying but can't get out of it! I am now only free on October 6th to the 9th. Can anyone make those dates or am I going to have to sit at home ?
    Jerry
    Not sure about the Friday. But I can definatley do saturday to monday.
    I have the week begining 9 October booked a holiday and my brother (Mike B) and me were thinking of doing the Wye that week. I suppose I could drive down on friday evening for a saturday start.

Mike how about it?

Got a problem with the dates myself now!! Family duty has knocked the September dates on the head - really annoying but can't get out of it! I am now only free on October 6th to the 9th
    I am still on for the original dates!

I may actually be up that way from the Thursday night through to the Monday, easy really but happy to join others/others join me if they want.
    Thinking of staying at either Preston or Hollybush Inn Thursday and Friday for Saturday start at 10'ish.

Nigel

Default Wye trip

I too am up for the original dates. Iwill probably be arriving late Fri 22nd Sept ready for paddling sat AM.
    I am not familiar with the area so i dont know where i will be staying (open to suggestions for the Fri night) I also think Roly will be up for the original dates as he has already arranged days off from work.

Yep, now I've secured the day off work I'm still keen for the original dates.

Also - theres possible interest from at least two boats from my club, shouldn't be any objections to them coming along also should there?

(they are wonderful people I promise!! ) - Have to say that or SouthStaffs may tell them what I've been saying!!

Roly.

I usually paddle solo or with a couple of friends in 'K S' (feel sorry for them really!). How much longer will it take for a larger party to assemble in the morning ready for the off and travel during the day?
    Would it be easier to specify a start point, finish campsite and odd meet up locations during the day and leave at that, or do people require a tighter schedule of the day's events?

be arriving late Fri 22nd Sept ready for paddling sat AM
    That's fine depending on the first days paddle length we can meet at Hollybush Inn near Glasbury or Whitney Toll bridge; camping here but close to main road, OK for a first night and easy to find in the dark.

theres possible interest from at least two boats from my club
    That should be OK, it was always going to be a largish flotilla even now some are paddling a different weekend.

Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by David B View Post
    Not sure about the Friday. But I can definatley do saturday to monday.
    I have the week begining 9 October booked a holiday and my brother (Mike B) and me were thinking of doing the Wye that week. I suppose I could drive down on friday evening for a saturday start.

Mike how about it?
    Sorry didnt make it clear I cant make the original dates. Hence the change of plan. Looks like we could have two SOTP Wye trips.

Looks like we could have two SOTP Wye trips.
    Yes! Will spread the number of canoes on the river anyway, lots of intrest so nice that there are other options for a SOTP trip.

Nigel

Cant make the scottish symposium [full] so I'm penciling in the 23rd for the Wye trip. Glasbury start?
    Obscured by Clouds

Clipper Prospector 16

http://lostcoast.blogspot.com

Glasbury start
    See no reason why not. May be good for those who at a later stage want to return and complete the whole river. Other option is to start from the Hollybush Inn campsite which fronts the river, sort out shuttles Saturday AM and get away as soon as possible. Does leave a longish day of 20 miles until the next campspot at Preston but if others want to join further down river there is always an option for launching at Whitney Toll Bridge cutting the day down to around 13 miles.
    Must thank Jerry for first proposing the SOTP Wye trip trip which has now become the SOTP Wye trips!

Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Murland View Post
    hi jerry...would i be to late to join your wye trip..i have some time off then and would love to tag along. im buying a new canoe this week and a trip down the river wye sounds fantastic..hope im not to late...maynman

Yes it would appear we have two Wye trips now - the September run and the October run 6th or 7th Oct through to 9th. I am now only able to make the Octobrt run. Who else is intending to paddle in October?
    Jerry

Hi Jerry if you have no objections I am going to start a new thread for the first Wye trip? Time is creeping up on us.

Nigel

Very sensible - only wish I was coming!!
    Jerry

Default wye trip

hi folks...im still on for september,and was wondering about how many people are coming,and has anyone sorted any camping arrangements at camp sites.It would be nice to get this sorted before we go and to camp
    as near to the river as possible to save on a long kit haul each evening.
    Have we got definate dates for the meet, and start point.Im looking forward to this trip big time.....see ya....maynman

Hi Jerry both Myself and David B will be doing the wye in October and maybe Split if he can get the time off work.
    Cheers for now Mike B...
    You only have the one life so live it

Phew, though I would be doing it solo!! what dates have you planned for October guys?
    Jerry

Sorry Jerry but due to 2 people leaving at work I haven't managed to get the time off I wanted. I've only managed to get the few days of the Achray SOTP and BCUK meet and I only managed that by threatening to leave aswell and as we had already planned on attending this last year we will have to do the Wye Later. Hope you get some others for the trip failing that I know that it's a heck of a distance from you but Achray should be a good meet. Mike B...
    You only have the one life so live it