Thread: Dutch Open Canoe Meeting

Default Dutch Open Canoe Meeting

Hi!

I just got back from the annual Dutch Open Canoe meeting. Most people (like me) were there just for the weekend, but for the die hards (without a proper job probably some activities are planed for tomorrow. About 70 people showed up (amongst them aromaier, Koen, Busje303, Paddler.nl and myself) and there were some traders.

Saturday morning started rainy, but luckily the sky cleared just before the start of the program. There was a choice of workshops: Dutch oven bread baking, economic canoeing in a two seater (sub titled: partner cooperation), enhancement of solo paddling techniques. I spent most of the morning testing boas from the traders. The austrian importer of Swift canoes was there and I trid the Dumoine. On of the other traders had a Wenonah Prospector 16, which I also tried. Not because I would like to buy it, but as a comparison. Now I know for certain that I don't like Wenonah's Prospector.
    In the afternoon we made a trip through the "Weerribben". The natural reserve where the meeting is organised. It's a nice area with open spaces and dense forests. Very nice.
    In the evening I had to find a bank because I had decided to add the Dumoine to my fleet. Luckily the trader wanted to sell me his testboat for a decent discount because I didn't want to wait for it to come all the way from canada with a next shipment.
    I hadly got to my tent with my new toy when Valerie (Paddler.nl) came to me to ask me if my Discovery was now for sale. Sold! I offered to buy one of her boats to make space for he canoe she just built, but instead she bought one of my boats for her club.
    Just before sunset there was a freestyle demonstration by maromaier and friends. It's a nice way to improve your skills by just trying a few moves during lunchbreaks or at the end of a trip. I'll certainly give that a try.

After the demo's: campfires and drinks.

Sunday morning there was only one workshop. Not really a workshop. The Dutch Canoe association is setting up a series of courses for open canoe and the newest is about safety. This morning was used to try some of the material and to get everybody warmed up to follow the course. For the wet part of the workshop most of the people could stay on dry ground while shouting suggestions at the people who vollunteered to get wet.

After this entertainement we went out for another trip with the sun shining and hardly any tourists again. This was my first trip in my new Swift Dumoine and I enjoyed every minute of it. We were able to reach reasonable speed without to much effort and on the winding parts it didn't take any effort to get the boat turned. I'm really lookng forward to the Canche trip which will be my first chance to use the new boat in a current.

Busje303 is thinking to buy a Prospector. Afer the trip he tried my Dumoine and the Wenonah Prospector. Unfortunately there are no shops in the Netherlands that sell Nova Craft, so there were no Nova Crafts at the meeting and they have to go to Germany to test that Prospecor. They know now that they also do not like the Wenonah but that they will now have to choose between the NC Prospector and the Swift Dumoine. W'll keep you posted.

We had an excelent weekend. Here's the pictures:

Last edited by Digger; 15th-September-2008 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Added pictures

Sounds like a fun weekend. Please add next years event to the calendar I wouldn't mind visiting myself.

Bushcraft Survival and First Aid Training.

Thumbs up

Just posted some pictures. What you don't see on the pictures is that it rained from friday evening till saturday morning. I arrived during a sparse 10 minutes without rain, but right after having pitched my tent it started raining, only to stop just after breakfast. I'm lucky to have a very selective memory. Did I just say it rained? Can't remember and the pictures don't show.

I will add the meeting to the calendar as soon as the date is set. It will probably be mid-september again.

There are two big(-ish) open canoe meetings in the Netherlands. The other one should be in the weekend of may 31th there'll be another meeting. I haven't spoken to the organisers, but that's what I heard. As soon as the date is set I'll also add that one to the calendar.

Looks great. I really need to start buying a lottery ticket so I can win and have the money to spend my time travelling the world and attending canoe events and trips. his definitely sounds like one to have near the top of the list.
    John

i'm sorry to have missed this one, but great to read your blogg and see the pix. actually, why are there no pictures of the rain? did it not rain?

i'm also glad to see that good old dutch merchant spirit is still alive and happy. congrats on your newest purchase digger!

So, Iíll give my little impression too. We, me and my mate Rabin, arrived on Friday in the pouring rain and it didnít stop anymore till Saturday after breakfast. It isnít any fun putting up camp in the rain and youíll wonít believe the comfort when we had the tarp up as rain shelter so we had a dry place to work and sit. Really wonder why it took me so long to purchase one, really one off my best buyís ever. Ones with a dry place to sit, we enjoyed the remainder off the evening and it was actually warmer then the rest off the weekend when the sun broke out.

Next morning, we took it easy, didnít attend any workshops and just looked around a bit thru camp and at the very nice canoes that where around and Rabin stirred up a very nice curry for lunch. By then the sun had broken thru and everything looked a lot nicer so we made ready for the first trip.

Campsite, nice and crowded:

Lots off beautiful home-made canoes, sorry havenít got many pictures and forgot my camera every time I walked across the field to admire them, hereís one:

So many canoes, it caused traffic-jams (or rather a floating rest break):

Shot off some nice traditional woodyís, left is a Prospector off unknown origin (to me, that is) and right is a Atkinson Traveller (build in Germany). We sit in my Vomo, but that one you all know by now. (note: I know that Rabinís clothes donít really match with the rest off the picture, we paddle and surf kayaks together, heís really just starting with the open canoes so still wears his kayak-stuff witch is rather loud I agree):

Maromaier canít stop playing during the brew-stop, even if the water is a tad narrow for free-style, he'll get it round anyway:

Back in camp, shot off the many Tipiís, they seem to be the stuff youíll need for canoeing:

Next day, Rabin had to leave for a family- reunion so I took him to the train and Paddler.nl and her husband were glad to take turns for the open tandem-spot in my canoe. It was rather windy and they found it hard to keep up solo for the whole trip so they both soloed half and went with me for the other half off the trip.

Hereís Paddler.nlís husband in her beautiful new self-build canoe:

Note: it may look like heís banking the wrong way but it was quite windy, hereís a shot without zoom witch may give a better impression off the conditions:

As much as I like the social paddling, I really need to get out solo in the late afternoons, just to enjoy the peacefulness and stillness off these beautiful surroundings:

I stayed till Monday and had a great time, did have an incident while packing my stuff thou: I decided that Iíll turn over my tent to give the bottom a chance to dry before packing. In it self a good idea but always make sure youíll still secure it, I didnít so with a good gust off wind my tent rolled into the channel, drifted to the middle and begun to sink . That really was a though rescue and the towing and hauling back up shore bended the poles really badÖÖ

Well, better keep your head with what youíre doing next time, right!!

Quote Originally Posted by Koen View Post
    I decided that Iíll turn over my tent to give the bottom a chance to dry before packing. In it self a good idea but always make sure youíll still secure it, I didnít so with a good gust off wind my tent rolled into the channel, drifted to the middle and begun to sink . That really was a though rescue and the towing and hauling back up shore bended the poles really badÖÖ

Well, better keep your head with what youíre doing next time, right!!
    Rescueing a sinking canoe is different stuff than rescueing a sinking tent.
    Any points from the safety demo's you could use?

Have you tried turning it over in the water and then climbing into it to bail?

Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    Rescueing a sinking canoe is different stuff than rescueing a sinking tent.
    Yep, it went in the water without airbags and PFD, so irresponsible these tents areÖ.., makes for a though rescue thouÖ

Any points from the safety demo's you could use?
    Didnít attend it for I was bringing Rabin to the train-station, have had enough off those as sea-kayaker, thou. For some reason they donít give you any clueís how to rescue a tent, donít understand why for Iím definitely not the first stupid guy around .

Have you tried turning it over in the water and then climbing into it to bail?
    No, not really, I opened one entrance off the inner tent and turned it around so the water could get out as I tried to haul it back to shore .

Nice pictures.
    Maybe you guys can send some to Dirk to publish on www.openkanotreffen.nl (includes a contact e-mail adress)

Also for those interested, the event is always held in the second weekend of september so you can already plan for 2009.

Yes we were also there with our Tipi.
    This time without Canoe, we came from a midweek in Den Haag, not a nice place to leave your canoe on your parked car for 3 days

Friday night was wet, we shelterd under a kind of Tipi with Digger and a beer or two.

The saturday started rainy, but at 10 it was dry. Then they started the demo's and the workshops and a lot of canoe-talking Then dinner cooking on the Trangia and a litle campfire with wood from the surrounding bushes, and a night in the warm sleeping-bags with temperatures just above zero.

Sunday was nice and sunny, a few mates from our canoe-club came over for the day. We did not canoe that day, to crowdy on the shallow waters

Monday most people left, we borrowed a canoe from Arie (a we-no-nah, but which one???) and me and the misses went for a nice quiet trip in the beatiful naturepark De Weerribben. Imagine no one on the water, sun and some smoke from burning plant pile's, how much better can things get?

A good weekend and we met a lot of new people, i think we will be back next year........

Renť.