Thread: Loch Quoich

1. Default Loch Quoich

A few pic's from our short trip to loch Quoich

Arrived early Saturday evening just as the rain started but managed to pitch the tents during a slight lull in the weather

Allans van made an excellent shelterwhere we could settle in with a wine box and a deck of cards

Unfortunatly the midges soon gatecrashed the party

Sunday saw us on the water before 7am as the midges were out in force . Allan , Stuart and Margaret were coverd in the most bites I've ever seen . Once out on the water we soon left them behind

Looking towards the west end of the loch

landing at the south shore

Looking west from the ridge leading to Sgurr Mor

Margaret with the Knoydart hills behind

This was a great weekend but we will have to return and spend a few days camping to get the best out of this loch

Alan

Cracking pictures.

Q

Stunning scenery. Very Scottish!

It's a part of the country I've never spent time in but hillwalking buddies have raved about it. I see why now.
    Picture yourself in a boat on a river,

Journal Entries

Great looking spot, just a bit low on places to sling my hammock and after Loch Achray I can live without a midgie feeding frenzy for a little longer

Default Loch Quoich

Quote Originally Posted by Grooveski
    Stunning scenery. Very Scottish!

It's a part of the country I've never spent time in but hillwalking buddies have raved about it. I see why now.
    I can assure you it is worth raving about but shh ! Last year we were walking through the opposite glen so opted for a short paddle of about 45 minutes then a couple of hours to climb Sgurr Mor the higher we climbed the scenery got better and better.We met two guys who were walking the circuit their faces lit up when we said we had paddled across Loch Quoich goodness knows when they would finish their walk back to Loch Arkaig.

Great weekend.
    Highlights - Stuart using his military training to get Allan and myself out the van and not letting any midgies in .
    Getting away from the midgies and out onto the Loch .

For me personally using the canoe to access climbing a Munro in one of Scotlands wilderness areas.

Kim's training came in handy when we were crossing the Loch as when in the middle we didn't seem to be reaching the shore so used Ladhar Bheinn and large boulders on the shoreline as transition points.

Definately tent country John

Maggie
    Maggie.

''One is always wiser after the event''

Default Loch Quoich

Hi Maggie \ Alan
    I was planning to do this trip in a couple of weeks with some friends. I was thinking of doing Gairich Beag and Sgurr Mor is this feasible or is there too much of a drop between them. Can you remember the timescales involved with what you did?
    Regards
    Bruce

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Hi Maggie \ Alan
    I was planning to do this trip in a couple of weeks with some friends. I was thinking of doing Gairich Beag and Sgurr Mor is this feasible or is there too much of a drop between them. Can you remember the timescales involved with what you did?
    Regards
    Bruce
    Swift. Will dig out the maps and get some details for you

Alan

Default been there

but not done that or the half of it. great location for getting out of the road awhile and for playing hide and seek with the midges. great pix

That looks like aswell place. I do like the mountains, very homely. But I don't do midge feasts. Great photos.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

Great pictures. The paddling conditions look perfect.

Jim

Default loch quoich area

hi just a note of caution for those around loch quoich area
    last year did loch duich, kyle rhea , hourne and portaged up from kinloch hourn to loch quoich then sailed east along the loch and then attempted the river gary which is quite different from guidebook as it is definitly not grade one but genererally quite rocky with a grade 3 weir near kingie where we crashed and burned

also dam is releaseable occassionally

also it is worst midge area we have come across