Thread: STOLEN BOAT - Reflection 15

1. Default STOLEN BOAT - Reflection 15

Please can fellow paddlers keep an eye open for my boat? Dunno who's got it or where it will turn up.
    Reflection 15 in Teal green, grey inside with green karimat. black+green lacing, kevlar bang plates, solo paddling thwart and no seats, hand carved portage yoke.
    I want my boat back! I neeed to paddle.

Journal Entries

What area was it stolen from?

What a nightmare for you!!!
    post some pictures of your boat and I'm sure the good people in this community will keep a look out.
    cant be doing with thieving scum!

4. Default

My boat was stolen from an outdoor centre canoe rack on the shore of Coniston. It was locked down so the theiving b**stards must have "come equipped" as the nice policeman put it. He also pointed out that it was almost certainly taken away by water - probably by a paddler!!!

Thanks for any help you can give.

Kaf

P.S. Anyone got a similar boat for sale that I can buy as a replacement?

I keep mine around there as well,but havent heard anything or know of one being offered for sale,but I'll keep my ears open

That is just sooooooooooooo wrong ! Anyone who messes with a guys boat deserves what he gets. Lets hope they get stuck in some freak stormy conditions!

Sorry your boats been stolen. I had some climbing kit nicked from a campsite in the peaks. Bad enough your kits been nicked worse when its most likely been nicked by a fellow boater or climber etc.

I hope the police do more than just give you a crime number.

Bushcraft Survival and First Aid Training.

Default Thanks - We found it

Thanks to everyone who contacted us - today we got our boat back - and the thieves got arrested and charged! It just goes to show that we can beat the rot if we watch out for each other.

HINT Mark your boat permanently with your name and postcode in a DISCREET place - All prominent markings had been scrubbed out on our boat. Then you can prove ownership. Failing this take up to date photos and customise your boat. Make it unique.

We'd just spent our savings on a new boat to replace it - so now we are a two boat family. Hurrah! Lets go paddling - now the water is here!

Great news. I love a happy ending.
    Matto

Ours was the marsh country, down by the river, within, as the river wound, twenty miles of the sea.

Journal Entries

Excellent news.

Was it a paddler from one of the forums that spotted it or was it down to police work.

Default How we found it

A friend on the Cumbria Canoeists newsgroup spotted it on a car locally. Another friend got us the car details - the police helped with location and we positively ID'd the boat. Everybody did their bit. It just shows that it can work. We are the Canoe Sopranos !

Looking forward to getting paddling again

Thanks Everyone

Kaf (and Andy)

Default Hang 'em high

In the old days in the wild west they had the right idea. If you stole someone's horse and got caught they hung you...............

Glad to hear you got it back

Happy paddling.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

Journal Entries

Now we can take them water skiing behind a submarine instead...
    Lloyd

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug...

Quote Originally Posted by kaf sallabank View Post
    A friend on the Cumbria Canoeists newsgroup spotted it on a car locally. Another friend got us the car details - the police helped with location and we positively ID'd the boat. Everybody did their bit. It just shows that it can work. We are the Canoe Sopranos !

Looking forward to getting paddling again

Thanks Everyone

Kaf (and Andy)
    This is great news for you

amazing it was found locally!!

Yea, a happy ending, good stuff
    Tone

Bushcraft UK
    Explore : Discover : Achieve

I find it hard to beleive that not only did someone have the gaul to steal the boat in the first place but to continue using it locally, they must be more than stupid and deserve all they get and more.
    Leone_blanco

suggest you ask them if they are hungry and then offer your paddle blade at speed!!

nature is m X-box

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by LAS247 View Post
    I find it hard to beleive that not only did someone have the gaul to steal the boat in the first place but to continue using it locally, they must be more than stupid and deserve all they get and more.
    I had this thought too.
    It really does make you wonder about people sometimes. How did they think they'd not get caught ?

Happily you got the boat back, which I think, given the fact it didn't go very far was probably inevitable (not that you'd have know that at the time tho' of course).

Really glad to hear that your boat was recovered. I hope the scum that stole it are properly punished!

It is possible to marke boats/bikes etc with an UV reactive pen that is invisible to the naked eye but shows up clearly under a UV lamp. A while ago our local police provided the pens free of charge, it may be worth talking to your local constabulary.

well done again for the recovery

Quote Originally Posted by ed bassett View Post
    Really glad to hear that your boat was recovered. I hope the scum that stole it are properly punished!

It is possible to marke boats/bikes etc with an UV reactive pen that is invisible to the naked eye but shows up clearly under a UV lamp. A while ago our local police provided the pens free of charge, it may be worth talking to your local constabulary.

well done again for the recovery
    I've got one of these somewhere. Are they waterproof?? (or rather, is the ink waterproof?)
    Last edited by tenboats1; 6th-September-2006 at 02:44 PM.
    If it wasn't for the rain in our lives there would be no rivers. X 2

Journal Entries

We used that ink at the nightclub I worked at. It isn't water proof.

I would superglue an engraved plate or dogtag on the underside of the deck plate at both ends, or engrave on the underside of the yoke thwart or seats.
    Lloyd

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug...

The pen that I got from our local police have been used on our mountain bikes which have been through a lot of water, jet wash and cleaning agents and they still work (just been out to test them).

Glad you got your boat back,

I am meeting with someone on friday who works for a smartwater marking company (the sort the banks use to trace notes) if I remember will ask what would work for a boat.

On the line that these people are not always that bright - in a previous life I used to do a bit of security at gigs with some other friends who also rode motorcycles (no not that heavy!) One night at Leeds University Union two scallys (for they were from Liverpool by the accents) broke into the security office and nicked four leather jackets between them. No any half bright would have left at this point - not these two they continued into the gig wearing two jackets each - and were spotted chased - and grabbed. As I say we were not that heavy so we called the police - while we were waiting for them to come one tried to do a runner resulting in a none to gentle rugby tackle in a carpark - leaving said scally a little scuffed. We did wonder wether the police would feel that we had been a little rough on them - reasonable force and all that - but the only comment we got from the seargent was "if they had nicked my jacket and then run off he would have fallen over a bit harder in the carpark!"

I am not sure what the outcome was but the police were great and carted both of them off in handcuffs (becasue they had already "tried a runner from these (sic) gentlemen!"

Just goes to prove for every fairly bright criminal there are a at least ten or more really stupid ones.

take care
    Seadog

Default Brilliant

Fantastic I hope you are both well and happy maybe see you for a paddle or ski sometime. My paddling partner is down your way visiting her dad next week.

Glad you have be reunited with your canoe. They should hang the person who nicked it, by his feet from a low bridge on a river and let all the open canoeist in the world paddle down the river and when we go under the bridge we hit him with our paddles.

crocbait

LOVE ALL TRUST BUT FEW ALWAYS PADDLE YOUR OWN CANOE!!!!