Thread: Cobber body cooling neck wrap review

Default Cobber body cooling neck wrap review

I first learned of these when I received a photo of my cousin who had moved to Perth, Australia.
    I am not a person who likes the heat too much, so with the ever increasing temperature I tent to spend more time in front of the fan, until now!
    I took some advice from my cousin and had a look at this web site www.bodycool.tv/index.html , now, reading the info with scepticism I took the bull by the horns and placed an order for one, it arrived the next day, flat packed, once it had its first 45 minute soaking it had swollen to approximately 30mm diameter, I carefully squeezed the excess water from it and within about half an hour it felt quite dry, this had been a concern that it may have dripped water down the back and front all the time I was using it, but that really is not the case, it really does feel dry when in use.
    Now the magic, it really works, you tie it around your neck and it cools your blood flowing through the main arteries, after a while you do feel a lot cooler, the other thing that I noticed was that I donít sweat anywhere as much as I would without it. All you have to do is to remember to twist it inside out when the surface next to your skin feels warm, and the cooling process starts all over again. They can even be used as an ice pack, by placing them in the freezer of as a hot pack by microwaveing them.
    I only take this off at night when I go to bed, it has been an absolute godsend when walking, bushcrafting, canoeing and during my daily activities, this has proved its worth as part of my everyday kit, my wife and three children have one each and swear by them and a very good friend has one that he wears in the kitchen where he works where the temperatures have recently reached 51*C.
    One thing I will say is that in this really hot weather I have found it necessary to re-soak it every other day to keep it working, which inst a problem as it only takes 15mins, and you can use it time and time again. And when you get to the time of year when you won't need it you let it dry out (takes about 7 days) and you can store it ready for next year.
    Rating 10/10

Sounds interesting.

Though I'm not convinced that it actually cools the body down but only kids the body to think so.

Perhaps some medically qualified person may want to comment but somewhere in the back of my mind is the following.

The sensors that have something to do with control of body temperature are located in the neck. When they get cool the message is sent to the brain and the capillaries at the surface of the skin constrict thus reducing heat loss. And of course the reverse is true, when warm the capillaries expand thus increasing heat loss aided by sweating.

I am wondering if the effect of these things is to kid the body that it is cooler than it really is so reducing the response to heat. ie. the feeling on the skin is reduced. But what I would like to know is whether the body core and brain temperature actually decrease or in fact increase because the normal response has been overridden.

Q

Why not send the manufacturers an email asking your question.

Interesting.

Reading through the site it says it cools by the evaporation from the cobber. So the same process as sweating really so it should actually cool you. It is just holding a lot of water in a non runny way to make it more practical.

It would certainly have been handy the last week or so but not sure how often I would need it up here. But I would be tempted to get one for holidays abroad where I could do with something to cool me down.
    John

I have got one. They really do work. The only fault and it is a minor one it that the colour faded the first time I soaked it. When you think about it, it should work evaporation cools the cobber and placed next to the carotid artery it will have an affect on the blood. Also when you think about it elephants pump blood through they ears to cool down in a similar manner.

I havent lost my mind, I've got it backed up on tape somewhere!!

I am just sat here with my cobber on and thinking could you make one with those watering crystals that you can get to house plant compost and for cut flowers ?

Default Group Buy

I am contacting the company with a view to doing a group buy. Would anyone be interested?

Not sure what deals we can get yet but I'm sure I am not the only who suffers in this heat.

Bushcraft Survival and First Aid Training.

Depending on price and my experiments into making my own (if I try it) I would be interest since I would like to replace my blue boomerang one that faded quite badly the first time I used it (I wouldn't have picked that one anyway if I had more of a choice of that or black at the Lincoln Black's)

IMHO They really do work.

Quote Originally Posted by wayne View Post
    I am contacting the company with a view to doing a group buy. Would anyone be interested?
    Yes Please 2 green ones please

You'll have to excuse my bad A level physics, but I suspect it's something to do with the latent heat of evaporation. Basically, as the water evaporates it needs to energy to break the bonds that hold ths liquid together in the form of heat from its surroundings. This causes a cooling effect (in the same way sweat cools the skin as it evaporates as wind moves across the skin). This effect can be pretty powerful. If the blood in the arteries and viens in the neck passes next to this cooled band it will release some of it's heat to the cooler wrap. The cooler blood will flow to / from the brain and generally cool the body. So, I suppose I am saying it will actually cool you, rather than just give the impression of cooling.

I probably should have looked this up on Google, but who has the time when we can just make crazy claims. I just dip my hat in the river if I get hot, it has a similar effect.

Looking at the website?? is it Australian??? or Canadian?? as it comes from Canada??
    May even be interested too

MickT
    It'll be right, trust me, I'm a Yorkshireman.

::>>> I'd rather be lucky, than good.

That is a Canadian Website. (They figure if they pretend the idea came from Australia, more people will believe them and buy their stuff.)
    They try to sell those over here on late night TV infomercials that are only viewed by nightshift workers and drug adicts.

WHOIS Record For

bodycool.tv
    SSL Certificates - Make this site secure
    Site Confirm Seals - Become a trusted Web Site Whois Server Version 1.0
    Domain names can now be registered with many different competing registrars.
    Go to http://registrar.verisign-grs.com/whois/ for detailed information.
    Domain Name: BODYCOOL.TV
    Registrar: TV CORPORATION
    Whois Server: whois.www.tv
    Referral URL: http://www.tv
    Name Server: NS.NETREVENUES.NET
    Name Server: NS2.NETREVENUES.NET
    Updated Date: 18-sep-2005
    Creation Date: 17-sep-2000
    Expiration Date: 17-sep-2006
    IP Address:206.47.128.54 (ARIN & RIPE IP search)
    IP Location:CA(CANADA)-ONTARIO-SCARBOROUGH
    DMOZ no listings
    Y! Directory: see listings
    Data as of:14-Jun-2005

If you want to make one that works just as well take some tough fabric and sew it into the proper shaper, then add a couple of cups of instant rice and sew off the end. My grandmother was given one a few years ago and has since reverse engineered it. She finds that the rice worked just as well but all in all the whole thing was a bit pointless. As for me I just give my hat a good dunking every few miles.
    Last edited by Lloyd; 10th-August-2006 at 08:47 PM. Reason: formatting
    Lloyd

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug...

Quote Originally Posted by WhyAyeMan View Post
    They try to sell those over here on late night TV infomercials that are only viewed by nightshift workers and drug adicts.
    I'm hoping you work shifts
    John

My drug of choice is Peanutbutter fudge crunch ice cream. It is only available in the summer so about labor day I will have to go into rehab again.
    Lloyd

just looked at the packaging on mine and it clearly states that it is made in austraila and here is a like to an aussie business directory you will see that they are based in westen austrialia http://www.atozpages.com.au/contents...&-SUPPLIES.htm

I would say that they are trageting the North American market hence the online stores location.

here is the whois for cobber.com.au

Domain Name: cobber.com.au
    Last Modified: 05-Jan-2006 17:01:22 UTC
    Registrar ID: R00010-AR
    Registrar Name: Melbourne IT
    Registrant: Cobber Enterprises
    Registrant ID: OTHER None given
    Registrant ROID: C3549826-AR
    Registrant Contact Name: Andrew Greaves
    Registrant Email: andrew@dra.net.au
    Tech ID: C3549826-AR
    Tech Name: Andrew Greaves
    Tech Email: andrew@dra.net.au
    Name Server: ns1.mh-diddy.com
    Name Server: ns2.mh-diddy.com

The Canadian ones could be knock offs too, or made under licence. Hey, I bet my grandmother will sell you the UK rights for the ones she makes. I want 10% as a finders fee though.
    Lloyd

Quote Originally Posted by WhyAyeMan View Post
    The Canadian ones could be knock offs too, or made under licence. Hey, I bet my grandmother will sell you the UK rights for the ones she makes. I want 10% as a finders fee though.
    LOL

The Canadian one is pucker though it is printed on the packaging and when you click one the online store on cobber.com.au it takes you to bodycool.